Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-16-2011, 05:07 AM   #1
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

We all know Google is coming out with a Netbook, what about a Slate-Tablet?

I was just thinking that Google has come out and is currently testing a fairly large number of their laptop or netbook devices. I know to people using them and by all accounts the things are pretty darned nice. Sure there are quirks but nothing which would stop someone from grabbing one as a knock-around machine.

I don't know why but I got to thinking given the whole GoogleBooks things, the rapid shift to "the cloud" why would Google not consider a slate PC class device? Of course for most of us here the thing could be a super reader device. Especially should they go with something like a Pixel Qi display to not only help save some battery life but to also allow people to use them almost anywhere. Given Google's clout they could be a very dark hourse coming from nowhere to become a major player in this very new and wide open new market for computing.

They already have Android but also could develop the device around their ChromeOS or produce versions of each OS letting the user choose or even dual boot. By the nature of Android it should run all of the major book sellers reading/store apps thus directly addressing the matter of a reader being locked to a store for the newest content. yeah, yeah format shifting and all that stuff. It's fine but you know what? It's another black-hole into which our very precious heartbeats are lost on a daily basis simply to get content into a form we can use for our device. I don't know about most of everyone here, but I am damned tired of the effort I am forced into just to read and manage my books. I want something I don't have to much around with. Google could solve this via our individual Google Bookshelves.

Add to it an app like OneNote or Evernote or similar apps to manage what would otherwise be papers and notes scattered all over your desk..your desk at home, your desk at work, your visor in the car, behind the car seat (yes there is a BEHIND THE CAR SEAT, it's what swallows every pen we carry with us into the car). So improve this a small bit with better OCR and handwriting training, combine it with a multi-touch OS layer and touch panel and I believe you are on the way to a really worthy device we could all find a use for.

Anyway, just a bit of my intuition I thought I would share.

I think the tools for Google to make this happen are already there.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:09 AM   #2
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipenekkid View Post
I was just thinking that Google has come out and is currently testing a fairly large number of their laptop or netbook devices. I know to people using them and by all accounts the things are pretty darned nice. Sure there are quirks but nothing which would stop someone from grabbing one as a knock-around machine.

I don't know why but I got to thinking given the whole GoogleBooks things, the rapid shift to "the cloud" why would Google not consider a slate PC class device? Of course for most of us here the thing could be a super reader device. Especially should they go with something like a Pixel Qi display to not only help save some battery life but to also allow people to use them almost anywhere. Given Google's clout they could be a very dark hourse coming from nowhere to become a major player in this very new and wide open new market for computing.

They already have Android but also could develop the device around their ChromeOS or produce versions of each OS letting the user choose or even dual boot. By the nature of Android it should run all of the major book sellers reading/store apps thus directly addressing the matter of a reader being locked to a store for the newest content. yeah, yeah format shifting and all that stuff. It's fine but you know what? It's another black-hole into which our very precious heartbeats are lost on a daily basis simply to get content into a form we can use for our device. I don't know about most of everyone here, but I am damned tired of the effort I am forced into just to read and manage my books. I want something I don't have to much around with. Google could solve this via our individual Google Bookshelves.

Add to it an app like OneNote or Evernote or similar apps to manage what would otherwise be papers and notes scattered all over your desk..your desk at home, your desk at work, your visor in the car, behind the car seat (yes there is a BEHIND THE CAR SEAT, it's what swallows every pen we carry with us into the car). So improve this a small bit with better OCR and handwriting training, combine it with a multi-touch OS layer and touch panel and I believe you are on the way to a really worthy device we could all find a use for.

Anyway, just a bit of my intuition I thought I would share.

I think the tools for Google to make this happen are already there.
Google have no plans to sell netbooks they just made it for developers and manufacturers to get interested in chrome OS with android phones with docks
coming in the near future you might see a phone that boots and run chrome OS when put on a dock
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
android, chromeos, ebook reader, google, tablet