Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-14-2010, 11:30 PM   #1
chuckr11
chuckr11 began at the beginning.

Device: none
porting new platform

I have a new palmtop computer, the "Pandora", based upon the Arm processor (the ARM7A code variant), and I would like to have Calibre. I'm disabled, and spend too much time in hospitals; and reading scifi passes the time. I have long experience in porting C code, and that part of the task doesn't especially worry me. There is a lot of Python code, it depends on the use of X86 or the PPC platforms, and I can see no comments on the task of adding new platforms. While I know python well enough to write in it, the task of figuring out all of that code is quite daunting. Is there any documentation on how one might go about adding new platforms to the python portion of your code?

Also, is there a complete list of all code package dependencies? I mean, other pieces of software, like the Rar/unrar libraries I've already seen, that I would have to put into place to get full functionality to my proposed Calibre port? If you have any interest in supporting the Pandora yourself (I'm not asking for that, but you might want to add a new platform, I suppose), the Pandora uses the "opkg" utility (an improvement on the older "ipkg": util). Binaries are the normal method of distribution using opkg. I personally like distributing sources, but I'm a programmer, so I guess that's not the normal preference.

I'm not asking for help on the C code, and if the porting notes on the Python code are complete enough, I would likely not need help there either. Python-2.6.2 is the pre-installed python version (a smart decision if I ever heard of one). I really hope you have such notes available.
chuckr11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 01:12 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The python code is largely platform neutral, platform specific bits are always in if block with the constants

islinux, iswindows, isosx, isfreebsd

Note that calibre runs fine on PPC under OS X.

But I really would not recommend porting calibre to a device, instead run the content server and use some dedicated reader program to read books on your device.

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 07-15-2010 at 09:19 AM.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2010, 02:46 AM   #3
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
As Kovid said, why not look at it as an ebook-reading device that could sync with Calibre? The device runs linux and should be able to run one or more linux-based epub reader (FBReader, perhaps?). It also has SD card slots, so you could sync books from Calibre on a main computer to the memory card, and then put the memory card in the Pandora to read books. You wouldn't even need to write a device plugin for Calibre to make that work.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote