Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 05-26-2010, 02:16 AM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Embedded fonts, Calibre, and choice of fonts

So far as I can tell, correct me if I'm wrong, if an ePub file has embedded fonts or has been produced using Calibre then the user can't change font family, and sometimes can't toggle between left aligned and justified text.

And most people who embed fonts seem to prefer serif fonts. I on the other hand prefer sans serif fonts and justified text. So although the ebook may look good to the person who has prepared it my ability to choose what I want has been taken away.

Is it possible to embed fonts or make a book with Calibre but still allow me to choose what I want without going into someone else's CSS? If that is possible I'd really appreciate it if people would do that.

Regards, Alex

Last edited by AlexBell; 05-27-2010 at 04:39 AM. Reason: Fixed typo
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 04:49 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I think you will need to tinker with the CSS. You *could* try to replace the font files in the epub with the files you want and name them the same. Otherwise you need to adjust the CSS. Personally when I change fonts, I use a different CSS which I include in the general CSS. That way editing is easier.

Personally I use the tweak_epub program to edit only parts of an epub. I find it ease to use. It is small but very useful.

Last edited by Toxaris; 05-26-2010 at 04:51 AM.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2010, 05:18 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I'm still waiting for the day when ebook readers allow user-specific CSS files. So, even if a book has hard-coded justification and a particular font, the user can override the CSS and use his own font instead, just like web browsers do. You can prepare yourself for that day, and put such global settings in the "body {}" rule, making it easy to override.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 05:33 AM   #4
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
I'm still waiting for the day when ebook readers allow user-specific CSS files. So, even if a book has hard-coded justification and a particular font, the user can override the CSS and use his own font instead, just like web browsers do.
I know that it is not available on all platforms, but CoolReader 3 does just that. CR3 has configuration settings that allow the user to ignore the EPUB CSS and substitute their own CSS.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 04:44 AM   #5
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for all the comments. I guess what I'm really asking is that those people who like to embed fonts consider having a part of their CSS does not embed the font, and which is commented out. I could then go in with my HTML editor, remove the comments, and comment out the embedded text. I've seen some style sheets which are really hard to follow.

And thanks for the mention of tweak_epub and CoolReader3. I'll definitely check them out.

Regards, Alex
Advert
Old 05-27-2010, 09:31 AM   #6
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I try to include the code that deals with embedded fonts in a separate CSS file that is then included with @import in the main file, so you can just comment it out to have the "normal" settings without embedded fonts (but I don't use embedded fonts for the main text, anyway). Have a look at "The Prince and the Pauper", uploaded here, and see if you like that
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 01:29 PM   #7
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
I try to include the code that deals with embedded fonts in a separate CSS file that is then included with @import in the main file, so you can just comment it out to have the "normal" settings without embedded fonts (but I don't use embedded fonts for the main text, anyway). Have a look at "The Prince and the Pauper", uploaded here, and see if you like that
Hehe, I use the same tactic. It makes it easer to change or remove.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 06:48 AM   #8
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Thanks, Jellby. I'll do that, though I have vague memories of looking at it some time ago. Perhaps it was before I got the Cybook 2.0 firmware.

Regards, Alex
Old 05-30-2010, 06:00 AM   #9
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Thanks so much, Jellby. I have downloaded The Prince and the Pauper, and find that I can change font family and size, and text alignment. I'm very impressed indeed with the ebook itself and the CSS.

Regards, Alex