Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 05-29-2009, 01:06 AM   #1
enarchay
Zealot
enarchay began at the beginning.

Device: none
Pesky PDF to RTF

Since a few PDFs I have don't show up good on my ereader (text truncates, paragraphs are indistinguishable, and so on), and I can't get Calibre to separate paragraphs when I convert them to LRF or EPUB (see my other post in the Calibre section), my only other option for now is to convert these PDFs to RTF. However, I'm having a problem.

I tried using this service to convert my PDFs to RTF, but the end result ends up being about 9 MB. When I upload it to my reader and turn it on, it freezes up and I have to reset it and remove the file before it will work again. I'm not sure why this is happening, but the RTF file looks good when I view it in Word.

What else can I do to get a nice looking RTF file from PDF that I can put on my ereader? Any ideas?
enarchay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 02:16 PM   #2
enarchay
Zealot

Anyone?
Advert
Old 05-30-2009, 05:43 PM   #3
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by enarchay View Post
Anyone?
Ummm... *I* use Adobe Acrobat. Works great! And it allows you to export to html (3.x/4.x), xml, txt and Word .doc.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 11:54 PM   #4
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Suggestion: edit the Word file before putting it into the Reader. Docs converted from PDF can carry some weird (and often useless) settings that make for huge filesizes.

Change the whole thing to a single font, pick some margin settings & set them for the whole doc, make sure the whole thing is using a single page size, and so on. If you don't care about font sizes, make it all a single size. Check for section breaks and remove them if that's feasible.

Use "save as" instead of "save" to create a new file, instead of adding changes to the old one; this also condenses the file.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 04:13 AM   #5
mpd123
Zealot
mpd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kobo glo / samsung note 10.1
hi

when i need to convert a pdf doc i open it up,select auto scroll,select all, copy.
save the text as a txt or word file and then play about with it until happy.

cheers mick.
mpd123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2009, 04:15 AM   #6
namiamy
Banned
namiamy began at the beginning.

you need to convert your pdf file to text document.
you can download the converter from here
namiamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 08:46 AM   #7
enarchay
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by namiamy View Post
you need to convert your pdf file to text document.
you can download the converter from here
Doesn't text remove all formatting?
Old 05-31-2009, 04:54 PM   #8
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Doesn't text remove all formatting?
Yep! Which is why you'd do better to convert to Word .doc and then open in Open Office or Atlantis Word Processor and then save to .rtf. Keeps the formatting but let's you slim down the file by removing all the *JUNK* Microsoft Word puts in.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 05:19 PM   #9
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
What else can I do to get a nice looking RTF file from PDF that I can put on my ereader? Any ideas?
- You can try to run your pdf file through an OCR program. See my other posts with "OCR" text

- you can try to open your big rtf file in Word and copy and paste the text into Windows Write program (Text editor you can find in Accessories on your PC).
Or try opening it directly in Write, reformat is slightly and save it in rtf.
On Linux you can try open, reformat and save the rtf file using Ted text editor.
On Mac you can try opening reformatting and saving the rtf file using default small word processor that is part of system install.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 11:55 AM   #10
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
There's another active thread here about PDF to Word conversion. I'd try one of those, and then use Word (or OpenOffice writer if you don't have word) to convert the Word file to .RTF. That should preserve formatting, ideally.

Generally, converting from PDF to another format is tricky business. You're better off finding a way to make the PDF itself work, or try to obtain the original source file used to make the PDF if at all possible.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 12:35 PM   #11
katysax
Enthusiast
katysax doesn't litterkatysax doesn't litterkatysax doesn't litter

Device: Kindle2, Kindle DX, prs 505
You can use the Mobipocket book creator (free tool at mobipocket) to convert the book to XML and then open it it Word.
katysax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 12:40 PM   #12
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpd123 View Post
hi

when i need to convert a pdf doc i open it up,select auto scroll,select all, copy.
save the text as a txt or word file and then play about with it until happy.

cheers mick.
That's what I do also. It works great 9 out of 10 times. I "select all," copy, paste into Word, and save it as .txt. You are right that rtf saves as a much bigger file. .txt works just fine and is a fraction of the size of rtf.

Then just play with the formatting until it looks the way you want it to look.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote