Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-20-2009, 03:20 PM   #1
jennaclaire
Enthusiast
jennaclaire began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Won't turn off?!?

I looked for an answer to this one using the search function, but no luck... i can't believe no one else has seen this, BUT...

my reader just won't turn off. started last night. hit the power off button and nothing happens. at all. all the options still work as though i had never touched the power off. at first i thought it had gotten disconnected, so i went into the advanced set up and forced it off that way. then tried the slider switch to power it back on... that worked, so its back on. But it goes from the very initial start up page which takes a while. so the only way i have to shut this thing off right now is through the advanced settings.

resetting it using the hole in the back didn't change anything. the battery has been left to run out and then recharged and it didnt change anything. now i am running out of ideas to try. firmware is up to date.

anyone else seen this one?!
jennaclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 04:15 PM   #2
Juggle4Evr
Connoisseur
Juggle4Evr doesn't litterJuggle4Evr doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, Cybook Opus
Hm, just to be sure: the power button is a slider, don't hit it, slide it.
Juggle4Evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2009, 04:27 PM   #3
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Hmm - backup your books & try a "Reset to defaults" or whatever it is under Settings/Advanced?
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 06:09 PM   #4
wild_Willie2
Zealot
wild_Willie2 began at the beginning.

Device: prs 505
Could be a mechanical defect in your power slider, it contains a quite delicate piece of plastic that transfers your mechanical "slide" to a small switch on the MOBO...

The plastic piece can be misaligned, causing the the slider to stop working..
wild_Willie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 03:46 AM   #5
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
This seems to be a more common problem that I thought.
I had it happens to me several months ago.
Copy books from the reader to the computer if you don't have a copy of them on the computer.
In the reader goto Settings -> Advanced Settings -> Format Internal Memory.
Then copy your books back on.
Strange that this works but it does, unless of course your switch really is broken(not likely unless you have a heavy touch )
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2009, 11:29 AM   #6
jennaclaire
Enthusiast
jennaclaire began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Well, I am back on track-- here's what I did.

I tried the reset to defaults option under the advanced settings and that did not work at all.
I tried reformatting under the advanced settings option and that too had done nothing.
I knew it wasn't the hardware of the slider because it worked to slide it to power it on (the signal would work the same regardless of on or off), so I knew it wasn't an issue there, thankfully.

I finally wound up having to do a hard reset, which blew everything away and required reauthorizing the device and recopying all my book over-- ultimately not a big deal, but it took a little time. So from doing a forced shut-off, I rebooted holding down the volume + and the bookmark keys which gave me the option of totally nuking it all and restarting if I clicked the 5 button... so I did and started fresh. when it came back on after a while, like magic the on/off slider worked again to put it to sleep and wake it up as needed.

so tech_au, it wound up being a similar process just requiring the hard reset instead of the soft reset. so in the event anyone else has the same problem and the soft reset doesn't work, take it a step further.

but yes, this does seem to be an odd trend with the 505... i finally started seeing more people having the same problem as i started looking through older posts.
jennaclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 02:24 AM   #7
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
Maybe, we should compile a list of steps to try in order of mild to extreme to get the "wont power off" problem fixed.
I am glad I didn't have to go back to very start.
I think from what others have said is that file system corruption is the root cause of the problem.
Not ejecting the device before removing from the computer or the reader encountering a badly formatted/corrupted ebook or the reader doing something weird every now and again when the battery is low could be a few causes.
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 11:06 AM   #8
Tdew
Tdew began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
How about won't power on?

It was my own fault - I knocked the 505 reader off a table.
When I picked it up, it wouldn't turn on.

I've found though that connecting it to the USB cable resets it.
I can then read again, but can't turn it off when I want to put the book away.

It does turn itself off again before I get back to it - so I've taken to plugging it in between readings.

Can the switch be fixed? Is it worth it to find out from Sony what they'd do?

I've got a 300 ordered - but since this one is still semi-functional, I hate to just abandon it.
Tdew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 03:41 PM   #9
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Tdew, I know I've read quite a few about the switch problem after a fall.

Have you tried a soft and or hard reset yet? (check my sig for the troubleshooting link)

If all else fails (Sony included), and you think the switch is loose or broken: Check the link in post #4 for the disassembly photos by member igorsk.

Good luck and let us know what happens.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 02:41 PM   #10
Tdew

Thanks for the tips. I'm working with it as is for now but appreciate the link to pictures of the insides. Have to wait until I get brave enough - probably not until the new device arrives...
Old 12-23-2010, 07:11 PM   #11
canadawest
canadawest began at the beginning.

Device: PRS505
Manual fix successful

Thanks to everyone who took the time to post in this thread.

I have a Sony PRS-505 which I dropped. The power would not turn off however it worked fine. The soft reset did not work and I was pretty sure it was a mechanical problem with the switch.

Thanks to Igorsk's instructions on how to disassemble the PRS-505 I was able to quite easily fix the problems. (If this looks scary, note that I only needed steps 1-4; only the top piece needs to be removed to fix this power problem.) The white plastic slider inside moves a metal pin--you need to make sure it is aligned when you put the top back on.

NOTE: you will need a 1mm (millimeter) screwdriver, which can be purchased in many dollar stores.

Good luck!
canadawest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:36 AM   #12
Tdew

The new post from Canadawest reminded me to come back and post results too. My son followed the instructions above, but didn't have to go so far.
As he started to open the device, the on/off switch fell back into place and fixed itself. The reader has been working again with no further problems for a number of months
Old 01-20-2011, 02:52 PM   #13
lenseman
The Avatar
lenseman can extract oil from cheeselenseman can extract oil from cheeselenseman can extract oil from cheeselenseman can extract oil from cheeselenseman can extract oil from cheeselenseman can extract oil from cheeselenseman can extract oil from cheeselenseman can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-600
That is odd that you guys are experiencing that problem. I know that with the 600 series you have to hold the power slider in for 4-5sec for it to power off. could that be the case with the 505?
lenseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 02:00 AM   #14
Fortissimo
Connoisseur
Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony Reader Touch Edition (PRS-650BC)
Has anyone experienced their reader turning off spontaneously? That is, without any prompting? Last night I slept of for a very short while (a few minutes) and when I awoke, I found my reader off. Really unnerving
Fortissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:03 AM   #15
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortissimo View Post
Has anyone experienced their reader turning off spontaneously? That is, without any prompting? Last night I slept of for a very short while (a few minutes) and when I awoke, I found my reader off. Really unnerving
It just goes into stand-by after 10 minutes.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote