Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-13-2009, 10:57 AM   #16
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
2 seconds refresh time? man, I thought the .8 ms was bad!
You'll spend more time refreshing than actually reading!
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 12:34 PM   #17
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
Any indications of battery life? How much reduced from the current norm for e-ink readers?
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2009, 01:50 PM   #18
seuzx
seuzx began at the beginning.

Device: none
I'm disappointed that no one interviewing Pixel Qi asks straight up why they haven't made any prototype images/video public.

If a company would benefit from showing prototypes, if it is hard to think of any drawbacks with doing so and if they still don't show any prototypes, then it is probably vaporware.

BTW, Hadriens personal "ad" is extremely annoying. The blue image appears in the middle of the page time and again and distracts the flow of reading. It makes me resent the site he is promoting without even having visited it = bad PR move.
seuzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 02:16 PM   #19
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by seuzx View Post
I'm disappointed that no one interviewing Pixel Qi asks straight up why they haven't made any prototype images/video public.

If a company would benefit from showing prototypes, if it is hard to think of any drawbacks with doing so and if they still don't show any prototypes, then it is probably vaporware.
While I really, really want some great competition and products within the ereader market, I am really puzzled, that so many seem to take everything Mary Lou Jepsen says at face value.

She is a great promoter, but without product, or at least a prototype, that's all she is.

I can't help, but think, that she is trying to raise as much money as possible, before she shows a prototype. Which doesn't bode well for the quality of the screen, IMO.

If it really had better contrast than e-ink, and did all those other things well, she would have been waiving a prototype for all the world too see, and to pre-empt all those pre-orders for the Kindle DX. She is certainly savvy enough to do it.

Pixel Qi doesn't have existing products on the market, so it doesn't need to worry about cannibalizing existing sales.

So, while I am hoping I am wrong, I do have some real doubts about these revolutionary screens, which no one, but Mary Lou Jepsen has seen.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 02:43 PM   #20
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
She is a great promoter, but without product, or at least a prototype, that's all she is.
The OLPC laptop screen is probably the most innovative thing to come out of that project. So she has a track record. I agree that she will soon have to deliver samples, and it would be nice to know more details (e.g. the actual resolution, screen refresh rate, and power consumption). I'm not sure we will know these details even when there are samples, because they may be cloaked in NDAs, but at least there will be real prototypes to point to.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2009, 03:39 PM   #21
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Looks interesting! PDFs and comics in that ereader would be like fish in the water.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 04:40 PM   #22
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
.... I agree that she will soon have to deliver samples, and it would be nice to know more details (e.g. the actual resolution, screen refresh rate, and power consumption). I'm not sure we will know these details even when there are samples, because they may be cloaked in NDAs, but at least there will be real prototypes to point to.
Hey, I really hope my suspicions are wrong.

But this total lack of information, and prototypes, just doesn't make sense to me. It would make sense, if she ran into some problems (like contrast issues, compared to e-ink, or cost, or something else), and didn't want to expose these issues before she got the investors bagged.

I guess, we'll know (maybe) within a couple of months. I have not pre-ordered the K DX, precisely because I am waiting to see what else comes out, by the time Amazon rolls it into the store. If Pixel Qi shows something spectacular, I'd be thrilled, and in line to order.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 07:53 PM   #23
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
That proto could very well be with an OLED display.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 11:31 PM   #24
Charbax
Addict
Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
too bad they don't make 5" screen LCD
Well for now 10.5" and 7.5" is planned according to the Wired article. Before I thought Pixel Qi would only launch a 10.2" screen, but I guess they might be doing ones for the OLPC XO-1.5 or so (if the manage to make it mass manufacturable ready by XO 1.5 shipments).

I think that once it's released and working great, then they could make a 4.8" version as well. And larger such as 11.6", 13.3", 15.4". The articles even talk about a $100 HDTV, hich I guess would probably be larger than the 10.5" that is mentioned.

I'd really like a 4.8" version on my Archos so that I could very nicely switch between the 3 screen modes, full color bright backlight LCD, transflective color (good for low-power color outdoor use) and the E-reader black and white high contrast mode for reading ebooks, blogs, news and forum posts such as this one.

4.8" is perfect I think for the pocketable device. 7.5" is for children to carry in light laptops for education and ereading, and 10.5" is for the hugely growing commercial netbooks market and to turn all those into Kindle DX type tablet devices or multi-mode netbook devices.

Last edited by Charbax; 05-13-2009 at 11:36 PM.
Charbax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 10:49 AM   #25
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
Hey, I really hope my suspicions are wrong.

But this total lack of information, and prototypes, just doesn't make sense to me. It would make sense, if she ran into some problems (like contrast issues, compared to e-ink, or cost, or something else), and didn't want to expose these issues before she got the investors bagged.
I too am waiting for more tangible info. However, the lack of info is not necessarily bad news. Pixel Qi is selling to OEM partners, not to consumers. Therefore, they do not have a consumer-orientated marketing campaign. Also, Robert at Astek (see the long thread in the news category) had discussions with Pixel Qi. Initially he had concerns similar to yours. However, after signing the NDA he reported that Pixel Qi was the 'real deal'. He couldn't give us any more info because of the aforementioned NDA.

Michael
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 10:51 AM   #26
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
They updated their website recently:
Quote:
Our first screens have come out of the fab and look great. We will be showing them off privately at Computex in Taipei Taiwan (June 2-6) and at SID Display Week in San Antonio Texas (May 31- June 5). Contact vivek@pixelqi.com for more info.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 04:59 AM   #27
leandroide
Zealot
leandroide has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Papyre 6.1 (Hanlin V3)
Images of the pixelqi screen in their blog!!!

Here:
http://pixelqi.com/blog1/2009/05/28/...qi-3qi-screen/

L.
leandroide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 05:10 AM   #28
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
that shot of outdoor use...it does not suck!! thanks!! I want one to replace my 17" display...maybe...we'll see, but I know I want a reader/tablet based on them.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 05:42 AM   #29
IgnareAcademy
Banned
IgnareAcademy is on a distinguished road

Device: Hanlin clone
Quote:
Originally Posted by leandroide View Post
Images of the pixelqi screen in their blog!!!

Here:
http://pixelqi.com/blog1/2009/05/28/...qi-3qi-screen/

L.
The e-paper looks very grey (low reflectivity) considering the first pic was taken with the flash on, and the second one under a very bright sun.
And the contrast looks very poor.
I am not interested by that technology at this point. My next e-reader will have to offer me a much more reflective and contrasty screen than my Hanlin clone.

Last edited by IgnareAcademy; 05-28-2009 at 05:45 AM.
IgnareAcademy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:16 AM   #30
kuliand
Connoisseur
kuliand doesn't litterkuliand doesn't litter

Device: sony prs505
Well i don't think we can really judge from the the outdoor photo yet but i think it looks promising after all i don't think they have ever or would say there screen will have the contrast and reflectivity of E-ink but there screens cover a wider range of functionality. It is certainly going to better than current netbooks for reading one which must be there aim.
kuliand is offline   Reply With Quote