Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-02-2017, 06:25 AM   #16
Julian1984
Enthusiast
Julian1984 began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian1984 View Post
I'm receiving mine today, so we can try with it.
I'm installing a VM with linux.
EDIT: I've just received it. Without update, with the no update trick, I get:

Serial number: G000 SA...
Version: 32GB Wifi only
Firmware Version: 5.9.0.6 (3234010012)
Julian1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:36 AM   #17
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Check your PM (Private Messages).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2017, 10:21 AM   #18
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

JB Research

We need some file capture from you new owners of a KOA2.

Requirements:
New, out of the box, has not been updated since it arrived.

PC OS - prefer Linux, since that is what the directions are written for.
or
MacOSx owner who can translate the few commands (most are the same) from Linux.
or
A Windows use who can do the same.
Since Windows takes a different view of attached storage than *nix does, I **think** it requires an after-market disk image program - I am not sure.

Whatever/Whoever - just PM me or coplate.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:38 AM   #19
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1

Win32 Disk Imager
would probably do the job? If your after raw disk image, to later use to undelete initial update bin?

I've used it in the past to "burn" OpenELEC / LibreELEC images to SD card, and to backup existing install....

p.s. I don't own new Oasis 7".
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 10:48 AM   #20
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post

Win32 Disk Imager
would probably do the job? If your after raw disk image, to later use to undelete initial update bin?

I've used it in the past to "burn" OpenELEC / LibreELEC images to SD card, and to backup existing install....

p.s. I don't own new Oasis 7".
That might well be the tool, the description reads as if it is.
I know geekmaster had an after-market tool that would create a raw disk image.

I have neither a new Oasis nor a new Windows - so I am out of the loop for image capture this time.
Advert
Old 11-02-2017, 12:08 PM   #21
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
the tool I have used in the past for windows is http://www.chrysocome.net/dd

It works mostly like regular dd, but lets you get flash drives and so on using the drive letter.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 04:36 PM   #22
giorgio130
Time Waster
giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo and Aura HD
Serial number: G000 P8
Version: 8GB Wifi only
Firmware Version: 5.9.0.5.1 (3233590008)

Going to PM both of you, @coplate and @knc1. Let's get this thing to run our software!
giorgio130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 05:06 PM   #23
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by giorgio130 View Post
Serial number: G000 P8
Version: 8GB Wifi only
Firmware Version: 5.9.0.5.1 (3233590008)

Going to PM both of you, @coplate and @knc1. Let's get this thing to run our software!
Do not let that update!
That version we can jailbreak.
Although the "viral" part of the jailbreak that auto-reinstalls it after an update is currently broken.
(Which is why I need access to a KOA2 - to look up the details of what needs to be fixed.)

PM'd you directions for the first part of what we need.

My next question:
Have you ever used our USBnetworking package on a Kindle?
Old 11-02-2017, 05:30 PM   #24
encol
Evangelist
encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 5.8.5.0.1
Why not use a desktop sharing software (TeamViewer in a virtualbox environment?) for this stuff?

Last edited by encol; 11-02-2017 at 06:42 PM.
encol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 06:48 PM   #25
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Do not let that update!
That version we can jailbreak.
Although the "viral" part of the jailbreak that auto-reinstalls it after an update is currently broken.
(Which is why I need access to a KOA2 - to look up the details of what needs to be fixed.)

PM'd you directions for the first part of what we need.

My next question:
Have you ever used our USBnetworking package on a Kindle?

I may get to the hotfix myself ( the viral part ), if I have time, but notes for everyone who may want them.

The exisiting hotfix looks for a linux device entry names roughty /dev/mmcblk0p1

The new kindle oasis 2 has a different name, so it needs to be programmed in.

For all the developers, ther eis a file on the oasis 2 ( and in the main update packages ) called '/etc/default/layout', that looks like this:
Code:
# root device definition and partition layout

source /etc/upstart/functions

ROOT=$(cat /proc/cmdline)
ROOT=${ROOT##*root=/dev/}
ROOT=${ROOT%p[0-9]*}

case "$(f_platform)" in
  luigi) ROOT_P=p1 ; LOCAL_P=p2 ; DIAG_P=p3 ; USER_P=p4 ;;
  zelda) ROOT_P=p5 ; LOCAL_P=p6 ; DIAG_P=p5 ; USER_P=p7 ; KEYS_P=p3 ;;
  *) ROOT_P=p1 ; LOCAL_P=p3 ; DIAG_P=p2 ; USER_P=p4 ;;
esac
I believe ( though I cannot confirm on my device, becuasee I let it update ), that the 'ROOT' fied there is the one we need in the hotfix package.

And here is that same file from pw3 version 5.7.4
Code:
# root device definition and partition layout

source /etc/upstart/functions

ROOT=$(cat /proc/cmdline)
ROOT=${ROOT##*root=/dev/}
ROOT=${ROOT%p[0-9]*}

case "$(f_platform)" in
  luigi) ROOT_P=p1 ; LOCAL_P=p2 ; DIAG_P=p3 ; USER_P=p4 ;;
  *) ROOT_P=p1 ; LOCAL_P=p3 ; DIAG_P=p2 ; USER_P=p4 ;;
esac

Last edited by coplate; 11-02-2017 at 06:51 PM.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 07:13 PM   #26
knc1
Going Viral

That must be "dead code" because the luigi usage is not what is described.
The p2 and p3 partitions are exchanged.
Currently p3 is local data (and where the bridge code script lives/executes from) and p2 is the diags system partition (which we also have to reference in the Rescue Pack).

Ah, but it could become that way, both p2 and p3 are the same size (64Mbyte).
And making that usage swap while the "bridge" code is installed, and having the "bridge" code survive will be tricky.
Although I have had a plan in place on how to achieve that, when/if the time came it was needed.

The law only says they can't destroy the user's data (in p3), it doesn't say it can't be moved to p2.

I still want access to a device to make independent confirmation before making any changes to the "bridge" code.

Keep in mind, nobody has yet offered to tear open their $$$ new Kindle and go looking for a serial port.

And besides, I would like to match their layout of Android with anything that we do here in the future.

Last edited by knc1; 11-02-2017 at 07:17 PM.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:32 AM   #27
dioib
∂₪≈☼
dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ιη.σιγ.ηιφι.κα
Does anyone know if it's possible to downgrade from 5.9.2? Otherwise I'll have to return this abomination as it seems there's no hope of loading KOReader from this point on.
dioib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 11:09 AM   #28
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by dioib View Post
Does anyone know if it's possible to downgrade from 5.9.2? Otherwise I'll have to return this abomination as it seems there's no hope of loading KOReader from this point on.
Why would you want to keep it if it's an abomination? If all you're looking for is a way to use KOReader, why wouldn't you buy a Kobo? The Aura One is available with 32 GB of space now.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 11:25 AM   #29
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by dioib View Post
Not from 5.9.2
But you can jail break it on the 5.9.x firmware they are shipping with.
I.E: You could have jailbroken it before you let it update, but not now.

Note: The KOA2 jail break is only experimental at this time.
The "Jailbreak Survival code" a.k.a: "hotfix" needs to be rewritten to be compatiable with the KOA2's support for Android (different eMMC partition setup).
So it is not yet ready for general public use.

Last edited by knc1; 11-03-2017 at 11:28 AM.
Old 11-03-2017, 11:37 AM   #30
radamo
Addict
radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Oasis 9th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Not from 5.9.2
But you can jail break it on the 5.9.x firmware they are shipping with.
I.E: You could have jailbroken it before you let it update, but not now.

Note: The KOA2 jail break is only experimental at this time.
The "Jailbreak Survival code" a.k.a: "hotfix" needs to be rewritten to be compatiable with the KOA2's support for Android (different eMMC partition setup).
So it is not yet ready for general public use.
So maybe exchange this unit for a new one and block the update... hmmm... have to consider this.
radamo is offline   Reply With Quote