Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-22-2014, 06:55 AM   #46
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Once, from a Kobo Touch to an Aura HD. All of my other purchases were due to cracked screens. At this point, the one feature that may get me to upgrade is durability. I do carry my ereader around a lot so it's hard to be gentle.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:09 AM   #47
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
Once, from a Kobo Touch to an Aura HD. All of my other purchases were due to cracked screens. At this point, the one feature that may get me to upgrade is durability. I do carry my ereader around a lot so it's hard to be gentle.
You must be awfully hard on your devices! I've been using eInk devices since 2006, carry mine around all day, too, and never damaged one. Perhaps you should invest in a good case?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2014, 08:03 AM   #48
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
It's luck at the end. I fell yesterday at the underway stairs, and my Kobo Aura fell down, with the screen over the floor, the cover was open and no damage (my knee is quite worse).
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:11 AM   #49
oldhaggis
Enthusiast
oldhaggis has become one with the cosmosoldhaggis has become one with the cosmosoldhaggis has become one with the cosmosoldhaggis has become one with the cosmosoldhaggis has become one with the cosmosoldhaggis has become one with the cosmosoldhaggis has become one with the cosmosoldhaggis has become one with the cosmosoldhaggis has become one with the cosmosoldhaggis has become one with the cosmosoldhaggis has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle 3, Sony T3, Oasis 2
I upgraded to the Sony T3 due to several reasons,a higher 1024x758 screen resolution, this makes for very crisp text,I thought the kindle PW1 and my 650 were good, but this takes the biscuit! It is lighter to carry than all my other readers,I travel a lot and it just slips in a pocket, battery life is now really important to me, Sony quote two months without wi-fi, one and a half with, I've only had it a few days so will have to wait and see ,I'm lucky if I get three weeks on my older readers so this was a big plus. The other thing it has, that my other readers do not, is a 3 minute quick charge, I liked this idea, could be invaluable at a later date. Finally It may or may not be Sony's last ereader so I had to have it for that as well!
oldhaggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:55 AM   #50
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhaggis View Post
Sony quote two months without wi-fi, one and a half with, I've only had it a few days so will have to wait and see ,I'm lucky if I get three weeks on my older readers so this was a big plus.
You have to read the small print and see under what conditions the battery life claim holds. Eg, for the Kindle PW, which also claims a "2 month" battery life, it is reading half an hour a day, with WiFi turned off. With my typical reading patterns, I get a one and a half to two week battery life from my PW2.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2014, 11:40 AM   #51
dublincheri
Zealot
dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, new Basic 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I'm a bugger for upgrading but hopefully now I've finally got my iPad mini retina I'm going to stay static for a while. I've promised to sit on my hands for at least a year
I always say that, but sometimes when the next device appears I lose my resolve! The iPad mini retina is lovely, my 1st gen paperwhite is grand now that I can flip to the end of a book without losing my place, and I haven't seen a phone that really tempts me since I got my iPhone 4 so I'm very satisfied right now. That could always change with the next product announcement though!
dublincheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 11:49 AM   #52
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You have to read the small print and see under what conditions the battery life claim holds. Eg, for the Kindle PW, which also claims a "2 month" battery life, it is reading half an hour a day, with WiFi turned off. With my typical reading patterns, I get a one and a half to two week battery life from my PW2.
And I imagine it also has to do with the age of the battery too. i.e. The older a battery is the faster it will lose its charge.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 12:03 PM   #53
Bricorn
Addict
Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG
Upgraded for a bigger screen, but that's it.
Bricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 02:26 PM   #54
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I don't actually upgrade. I just buy new technology because it has a feature that I need and continue to use the old stuff.

I prefer buttons to touch screens. The software seems to get confused if I do two actions too closely together. Plus a lot more memory is involved - you have to remember all these swipes and dabs with the touch screen. Probably not a problem for most who use only one reader.

Ipods are much harder for me to resist upgrading.

Last edited by Tarana; 03-23-2014 at 10:34 AM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:58 AM   #55
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Yes for ereaders - I've wanted the new feature sets. It's hard to see how the PW2 could be improved - I love it, and it 's my primary reading device.

I used the original ipad until last year, and then got the ipad4. Wow - a completely different device! It's amazing. I only use my laptop for photography now. I use the ipad daily, and again, it's hard to see how it could be improved. So I don't have plans to upgrade for a while, but I've learned never to say never
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:38 AM   #56
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I do, but only if I feel that it is a significant upgrade, at least with ebook readers. With more expensive tech I tend to wait it out until I feel that there is both a significant upgrade and that my current device is on its last legs. An ebook reader is probably the type of device that I use and enjoy most, so I feel that upgrading fairly regularly is worth it for me.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:06 AM   #57
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You must be awfully hard on your devices! I've been using eInk devices since 2006, carry mine around all day, too, and never damaged one. Perhaps you should invest in a good case?
I walk, bike, and bus everywhere. It means that my devices electronics is constantly in a bag that shifts around in my body, which isn't exactly the friendliest environment for them.
Old 03-23-2014, 04:26 PM   #58
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I walk, bike, and bus everywhere. It means that my devices electronics is constantly in a bag that shifts around in my body, which isn't exactly the friendliest environment for them.
I do pretty much the same thing and my bag is in a pannier or a basket when I'm biking so everything is experiencing a lot of shaking. After 14 months the Kobo Mini is still going strong (despite two small falls within its two first weeks ).
However I subscribed to an additional 2-year warranty (or would that be insurance?) for my tablet. And the Aura HD doesn't have to face this kind of treatment
So I agree with the luck being part of the life expectancy of an ereader.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 04:28 PM   #59
tovare
Addict
tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600, Kindle kb Wifi, new Kindle NT, PW2, Kindle Oasis
All of my readers work. I upgrade when i think it will improve my reading experience. When i got my first reader i found that the investment would pay itself inn less than six months. Minor improvements in readers doesn't have that business case ... i just ignore that part and get a new one anyway ��
tovare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:33 PM   #60
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I upgrade for new technology, but with an eye toward getting value and longevity out of my tech, and getting noticeable improvements in my user experience. I upgraded from the Nook Color to the Nook HD+ mainly for the larger screen and greater pixel density, because I had uses that would benefit (comics and magazines). A device appeared with a feature set relevant to my needs and at a decent value.

With eInk, I entered the market (just this past week ) because of new technology. Until the latest improvements in pixel density, refresh rates, and integrated lighting, the other benefits weren't enough to lure me away from multipurpose devices. I'd been eyeing the current gen for a while, and with a couple of long reads coming up that I knew I'd want to Whispersync with Audible (The Stormlight Archives), I sprung for a Paperwhite.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote