Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-02-2008, 02:45 PM   #1
Hughdal
Connoisseur
Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Ex Sony-Ex Nook-New PW User
PRS 500 Support Sub-Forum

With all the 505 messages CLOGGING the Sony forum, I thought it would be a good idea to create a 500 Sub-Forum for us original die-hard true users who are staying with the 1st generation. My reasons for not switching:
1. $400
2. Black suedo-leather case and black plastic moulding is the way it was meant to be.
3. Less buttons
4. Updates for 505 for users - you never know when it will 'brick' on you.
5. Same connect software - Ha Ha.
6. The screen is fine for me, a few luminars is not worth $400 (not directed at new Reader users).
7. Comfort zone. I know my 500, no surprises.
8. $400
9. The bend factor. With it's worn in 5% bend shape there in no where my 500 doesn't fit. Stressed but never broken.
10. Bragging rights.

Hughdal

Last edited by Hughdal; 03-02-2008 at 02:51 PM.
Hughdal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 04:00 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The 505 is actually $299 and can be found for less on some other websites for about $275.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2008, 04:08 PM   #3
monkeywrench
Connoisseur
monkeywrench began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The 505 is actually $299 and can be found for less on some other websites for about $275.
Even so I really don't see anything revolutionary about the 505. Just evolutionary really. This being said I am with Hughdal and will wait another generation or so for something that makes spending the money really worthwhile for me. Glad to see Sony and the others moving forward though, every little step is a step in the right direction.
monkeywrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 04:35 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm just waiting to see what Sony does with the next firmware update.
Old 03-02-2008, 04:37 PM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm just waiting to see what Sony does with the next firmware update.
Well, extrapolating from the last updates: I would guess not much.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2008, 09:28 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Well having an update no matter what would allow more safety in hacking.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:42 AM   #7
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
We have both a 500 and a 505 in our household. I agree the 505 is merely evolutionary, and both are fine devices. I prefer the 505 a bit because of the improved contrast. (I'm often reading in less-than-optimal light, and my eyes aren't as young as they once were!) Apart from that difference and the slightly greater thickness of the 500 (which isn't much), they are both great for reading lots and lots of books.

I still see a lot of support comments and questions for the 500. Simply placing the model number in the title should be sufficient. I don't see a need for a new support forum for each model. (Besides, most problems for either model can be solved by an overnight charge from the wall outlet! )

Oh yeah. And the 505 is easily available for under $300, and has been for a while. I like them both-- there's no need to 'upgrade' from the 500 if it's working.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 01:34 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughdal View Post
With all the 505 messages CLOGGING the Sony forum, I thought it would be a good idea to create a 500 Sub-Forum for us
Actually, I prefer that there were LESS sub-forums here. The seperate DEV and book upload forms make sense... but I would prefer the others to just be in the main form. Mainly because sub-forum navigation isn't great so I end up ignoring the sub-forums.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 01:37 PM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I mostly look at the forum in the "New Posts" view (that link is set to exclude e-book uploads, BTW). Gets around the sub-sub-subforum thing nicely, but you do have to kind of know what you're looking at to tell if you want to read a given thread.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote