Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-22-2011, 09:23 AM   #91
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
finally watched it. yup it was pretty wicked awesome. i am now over ed's death and ready to rock with season 2. the end was cool even though i knew part of it, but 3....3 dragons..wooo.
i'm guessing book 2 progresses many years into the future so the dragons will be bigger / full grown?
there will probably be a lot of info for season 2 just before it comes out but just wondering way ahead of time.
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:30 PM   #92
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
no, not terribly far into the future
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2011, 08:49 PM   #93
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
The HBO adaptation of Game Of Thrones - Season1:

Absolutely. Frickin'. Awesome.

This is known...

End discussion.

Discuss! lol
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:48 PM   #94
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
The HBO adaptation of Game Of Thrones - Season1:

Absolutely. Frickin'. Awesome.

This is known...

End discussion.

Discuss! lol
wouldn't it be amazing if all film adaptations could be so well done?
Old 06-22-2011, 10:11 PM   #95
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
I have to admit, I was surprised by just how good the TV series was. I wasn't convinced it could be pulled off. Both hubby and I loved it though! I'm not a huge TV watcher and usually prefer reading to viewing, but I *WISH* all TV/movie adaptations could be this good!

That said, having re-read the first book recently, I now need to proceed on to re-read the others before the new one comes out.

P.S. The very FIRST ebook I ever purchased was "A Game of Thrones". And I am lucky enough to have a nice first edition paper copy as well, picked it up in near pristine condition at a library sale for the price of $1.

Last edited by graycyn; 06-22-2011 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Added P.S.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2011, 11:35 PM   #96
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

^ Indeed. HBO really must be given huge credit - for so many years, they have paid and produced the best stuff on the boob tube.

The GoT adaptation so far has wildly exceeded all my expectations. Forget the detail nit-pickers on imdb - again, overall, IMO the best adaptation ever.

If only Stephen King's The Stand and Dark Tower could one day receive similar treatment...
Old 06-23-2011, 08:55 AM   #97
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If only Stephen King's The Stand and Dark Tower could one day receive similar treatment...
isn't that already being produced ?
Old 06-23-2011, 09:00 AM   #98
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion

^ The Stand was, at least 2 times I can think of. But both, to varying degrees IMO, failed.

Believe DT is coming...but not up to speed. Can only pray it is well-done.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:14 AM   #99
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

Quote:
^ Indeed. HBO really must be given huge credit - for so many years, they have paid and produced the best stuff on the boob tube.

The GoT adaptation so far has wildly exceeded all my expectations. Forget the detail nit-pickers on imdb - again, overall, IMO the best adaptation ever.

I love most of King's work, but for whatever reason it fails miserably in screen adaptations
Old 06-23-2011, 11:20 AM   #100
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion

^ so very true. I think part of the reason is that so much of King's best writing deals with internal dialogs and conflicts as well as such vivid descriptions of things [horror, e.g.] that we readers envision ourselves and don't necessarily translate well to the screen [though there are exceptions like Salem's Lot and The Shining]

So stuff from guys like King and so many others that get adapted for film/TV may not live up to or match the mental images we build as we read their books.

I think GoT, aside from the obvious visuals [e.g. dragons!], really deals with many more human/realistic issues and concepts, things like betrayal, loyalty, greed, lust, etc...

Not sure what I am trying to say here and doing a pisspoor job of it...
Old 06-23-2011, 01:56 PM   #101
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
When will the DVDs be released?
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:08 PM   #102
siraks
use the force

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
When will the DVDs be released?
more often than not with dvd / bluray releases they tend to come out just before the next season begins.

most fall show dvd's come out at the end of august / beginning of september.
since game of thrones is a 2nd half tv show i can see it coming out in november to capitalize on the christmas sales and the promo for season 2.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:11 PM   #103
JanHicks
Enthusiast
JanHicks is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!JanHicks is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!JanHicks is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!JanHicks is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!JanHicks is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!JanHicks is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!JanHicks is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!JanHicks is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!JanHicks is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!JanHicks is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!JanHicks is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle, iPad
I'm one of the few people out there that doesn't have HBO, I think, so it's been killing me that this show is on and I can't see it! I love the books, so we'll definitely be getting the Blu-rays when they come out.

I am currently re-reading the series to get ready for the release of the latest book. I'm about halfway thru the first book, and am kind of having a hard time. As some of you mentioned, GRRM has no problem killing off main characters. So I'll read a bit and then know what's coming for someone and have to stop. I keep telling Mike, I love the books, but there's so much mayhem and destruction ahead that I have an awful time reading them because I know how many people are going to get killed. UGH! lol

That being said, I can't wait for the new book, to see how my fave characters are developed. I can't wait to see what happens with Danaerys, Jon Snow, Arya and Bran. Just gotta stay strong and get thru all of the destruction and death in between!
JanHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:35 PM   #104
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanHicks View Post
I'm one of the few people out there that doesn't have HBO, I think, so it's been killing me that this show is on and I can't see it! I love the books, so we'll definitely be getting the Blu-rays when they come out.

I am currently re-reading the series to get ready for the release of the latest book. I'm about halfway thru the first book, and am kind of having a hard time. As some of you mentioned, GRRM has no problem killing off main characters. So I'll read a bit and then know what's coming for someone and have to stop. I keep telling Mike, I love the books, but there's so much mayhem and destruction ahead that I have an awful time reading them because I know how many people are going to get killed. UGH! lol

That being said, I can't wait for the new book, to see how my fave characters are developed. I can't wait to see what happens with Danaerys, Jon Snow, Arya and Bran. Just gotta stay strong and get thru all of the destruction and death in between!
Something I've tried when this happened to me, was to go to the table of contents and read the book through just reading the point of view of a single character. The chapters are headed by character names so it's easy to do. It sort of gives you a view of what's happening as far as that character knows.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:59 PM   #105
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

hmmmmm interesting.....