Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-01-2011, 10:11 AM   #1
eSheri
Addict
eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3G, Sony 350, Kindle Fire HD, iPad Mini
Question Regarding Kindle Price Drop

Hello all,
With Sony lowering the price of their pocket reader, do you foresee Amazon dropping Kindle's price any time soon?
2. Have they ever lowered the prices on their other models?
I look forward to hearing your comments.
eSheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:30 AM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Sony had the price advantage for a long time. Amazon only lowered the price of the Kindle shortly after B&N priced the Nook lower than the Kindle. It looks like Amazon only views B&N as competiton to worry about.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2011, 12:48 PM   #3
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Their pocket reader is only 5 inch, with no wifi. It should be cheaper than the kindle. I don't think amazon is worried.

The Sonys are nice; they just cost too much for the features. And from what I've seen, their pearl screens are not quite as readable as the kindle. Not sure why.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:19 PM   #4
eSheri
Addict
eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

thanks guys!
my friend wants a kindle & asked me about this. I told her I didn't know but I would ask the experts!
Old 02-01-2011, 02:18 PM   #5
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
Sony had the price advantage for a long time. Amazon only lowered the price of the Kindle shortly after B&N priced the Nook lower than the Kindle. It looks like Amazon only views B&N as competiton to worry about.
When did Sony have a price advantage? They have been more expensive then the Kindle for at least two years if not the entire time that the Kindle has been on the market.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2011, 02:58 PM   #6
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
If price is you concern try the Libra Pro from Aluratek and Borders for $100.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:01 PM   #7
user_none
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@ProfCrash mid 2009 the PRS 300 was $100 less than the Kindle 2.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:07 PM   #8
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Good point
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:09 PM   #9
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
@ProfCrash mid 2009 the PRS 300 was $100 less than the Kindle 2.
Was that at the same time as the 350 was being released?

I ask because the normal complaint with Sonys is that they are more expensive then other ereaders.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:19 PM   #10
user_none

The 350 was relased in Septeber 2010.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:09 AM   #11
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
The Sonys are nice; they just cost too much for the features. And from what I've seen, their pearl screens are not quite as readable as the kindle. Not sure why.
Kindle and Sony use different fonts, which is a user preference which you think is more readable. The Sony default font is lighter / thinner. I actually prefer reading on my Sony to my Kindle, but both are excellent. You can load fonts onto the Sony and make a few changes to the EPUB's CSS such that your books on the Sony look more like the Kindle when compared side-to-side.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 01:19 AM   #12
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by eSheri View Post
Hello all,
With Sony lowering the price of their pocket reader, do you foresee Amazon dropping Kindle's price any time soon?
2. Have they ever lowered the prices on their other models?
I look forward to hearing your comments.
Here's my speculation for what it's worth... I don't expect the Kindle prices to drop soon since Amazon's pricing is quite competetive. I do expect the Sony prices to drop or that the sales will continue to cycle on & off frequently. The Nook e-ink is due for a refresh. People are certainly anticipating one, but it is anyone's guess when that might occur. B&N's focus is on the NOOKcolor model at the moment. If B&N releases a new Nook e-ink model that is cheaper than the Kindle, then I could see Amazon lowering the price.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:37 AM   #13
eSheri
Addict

Thanks guys!
I don't the the price itself is the issue; she's concerned about buying a kindle & then the price will drop. (thats probably a woman thing )
I told her that I feel the kindle is priced just right! Which probably accounts for the amount sold!
Old 02-02-2011, 07:14 AM   #14
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
It's already ultra affordable and the price will unlikely drop below the magic $100 mark anytime soon. So if you get it now, you'll gain more value in time than you are saving in money.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:21 AM   #15
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

On the Kindles I am betting we'll see $149 and $99 on the wifi/3g and wifi-only respectively by early summer and the KDXG will hit $269 by September. I am betting this year's new Kindles will be using the tech from the touch screen company they bought last year. I don't see them coming out with a tablet or slate class device just to get into the color game since the Kindle app runs on all the other platforms. The only reason I could see a stop-gap color LCD device is if enough new multimedia style "books" begin hitting the virtual shelves this year or even next year.

The one area Kindles blow is for books which are out in color ebook form. It's the sole reason I am still considering an iPad.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote