Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 01-15-2018, 09:57 AM   #1
Tarski
Tarski began at the beginning.

Device: None
Question 9.7"/10.3" too small for PDFs?

I'm torn between getting an older MAX CARTA or getting the new Note, since both can be obtained for the same price.

My intended use is simply reading PDFs and nothing else. My worry is that the 10.3" screen just isn't big enough for frustration free PDF reading.

Could anyone who reads PDFs on a 9.7"/10.3" screen comment on the experience? Has anyone tried both?
Tarski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 10:01 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I would think 10.3 might be OK especially if the software allows removing the margins. PDF generally has large margins and when removed are easier to read.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 10:18 AM   #3
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarski View Post
My worry is that the 10.3" screen just isn't big enough for frustration free PDF reading.

Could anyone who reads PDFs on a 9.7"/10.3" screen comment on the experience? Has anyone tried both?
Have you considered that we read double page on the 13.3'' screen, and that 9.7'' (area-wise) is halvish of 13.3''?
But it is not fully useful to judge on someone else's eyes - they differ.

In my opinion, the more content you put on the screen the better it is for reading, similarly to "panorama is better than binoculars / open door is better than keyhole".

Quote:
I'm torn between getting an older MAX CARTA [...] frustration free PDF reading.
Then get a Max2, if frustration is an issue. Control and speed. (The same must be valid for the Note.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
removing the margins.
Removing the margins is obligatory, also since to keep a square meter of screen and a corner of text remains a sin if you are not doing performance art, and sin is paid.

Last edited by mdp; 01-15-2018 at 10:34 AM.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 10:47 AM   #4
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
MAX CARTA or getting the new Note, [...] My worry is that the 10.3" screen just isn't big enough for frustration free PDF reading.
Note that, comparing the ES133TT3 and the ES103TC1,
-- the 13.3'' is around 75% bigger than the 10.3'' / you lose a bit more than 40% of the area, but
-- the 10.3'' is slightly more dense ("slightly", if you look linearly, 206ppi vs 226ppi - it has 20% more dots per area, which is not bad at all) - the 13.3'' has almost 40% more dots / with the 10.3'' you lose less than 30% of the dots.

Rephrasing: going a bit smaller, you lose 42% of the area but only 28% of the dots.

Last edited by mdp; 01-15-2018 at 10:50 AM.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:04 AM   #5
lems1995
Zealot
lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.

Device: sony prs-t2,prs-t3, onyx boox n96ml, maxcarta, Likebook Note+Mimas
Quote:
I'm torn between getting an older MAX CARTA or getting the new Note, since both can be obtained for the same price.

My intended use is simply reading PDFs and nothing else. My worry is that the 10.3" screen just isn't big enough for frustration free PDF reading.

I have both OB NM97ML and Max Carta; for reading epub and pdf, i i've changed to Max Carta, so format 13,3" is perfect, you have nothing to do, just read!
lems1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 03:30 PM   #6
Philippe D.
Addict
Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2o; reMarkable; Onyx Max 2 Pro
The Max (2) that I have is really good for reading PDF; and I find that I rather like the idea of the side notes, where you can write using the stylus on a blank page while reading a PDF page (well, I'll really like it when I can have the blank page on the left). In this mode, the PDF is diplayed at roughly the size it would be at full screen on the Note, I guess: it's still reasonably comfortable, I'd say. But on the Note, I doubt you'll be able to do the side note thing comfortably.
Philippe D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 05:54 PM   #7
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
If you can only afford one device, and if you want/need it primarily for PDF, go for the bigger screen size.

You will kick yourself if you get the smaller device and then discover that it does not adequately suit your needs.

Some layouts in PDF might work well on the Note. Others are likely to be somewhat unwieldy. Don't chance it. Go for the larger screen.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 06:05 PM   #8
Philippe D.
Addict
Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's generally good advice, but one must also keep in mind that the 13.3" device is really big; fortunately it's also really light, but it does take up a lot of space.

(Of course when you want to use it as a secondary screen that's a good thing, I suppose)
Old 01-15-2018, 07:17 PM   #9
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philippe D. View Post
That's generally good advice, but one must also keep in mind that the 13.3" device is really big; fortunately it's also really light, but it does take up a lot of space.

(Of course when you want to use it as a secondary screen that's a good thing, I suppose)
Exactly. That's why I decided to opt for the Note this time around. I think the Note is a more versatile size. For most of my needs, I think it will suffice quite nicely.

For those times when I want/need a full page view of a PDF, and perhaps even need to enlarge it, I have my Max.

Although it would be nice to have a large ereader with some of the new functionality found on the Max 2, I couldn't really justify the purchase when I can get by with my Max. The new functionality wasn't all that compelling in terms of my needs.

However, the Note is a different story. It's a device which I am much more likely to carry with me much of the time. It might well become my go to ereader depending on how well it functions. Currently my Kobo Aura One is my primary reader. Unfortunately, one can't take notes on it.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:35 AM   #10
Tarski
Tarski began at the beginning.

Device: None
Thank you all for the advice. On reflection, I think I will go for the bigger 13" screen. The device will mostly just sit on my desk, so the added portability of a 10" screen does not really matter to me.
Tarski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 07:53 AM   #11
JawadLeLogeur
Zealot
JawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kobo Forma 4.15.12920
I read PDFs on a tablet with the same screen size as the Note and it is comfortable. I still recommend picking the larger model because you might be tempted to use it as a monitor in the future and will be frustrated if you can't.
JawadLeLogeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 10:00 AM   #12
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
IME a 9.7/10.2 is perfectly adequate. I put the pdf in landscape. It is important to have the right software. Oreader that comes bundled with the Onyx range is excellent.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 10:18 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I read PDFs on a 10.5" iPad Pro and find that very good. A 13" device is just too big, IMHO. I sold my 12.9" iPad Pro for the reason, and find the 10.5" much more comfortable to use.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 11:48 AM   #14
Question Mark
Wizard

I think it all depends what you are reading. For many PDFs, a 10.3" screen would be quite adequate. However, for those times when you want/need a whole page view, it might be a bit frustrating.

I have found that navigating a PDF on a tablet is usually much easier than on an eink ereader. So the experience of reading PDFs on a tablet might not be equivalent on an eink ereader. Reading PDF files on my 8" tablet is a very different experience from reading them on my Kobo Aura One whether I'm using the native PDF software or Koreader.
Old 01-24-2018, 02:40 PM   #15
Philippe D.
Addict

I've read PDFs on a standard iPad (10"5, right?), and for short documents it's OK except for the LCD screen - I'm mentioning short documents because zooming in is then very convenient, and there are often margins that can be cropped. For longer documents (books), the default ebook app on the iPad is horrible since there is no way to set a default cropping for all pages of a document - having to re-zoom with each new page breaks my concentration when reading.

A larger screen, to me, means that I don't need to bother with cropping, the full page size will be convenient (unless I'm reading a document that uses abnormally small font sizes, but I try to avoid these). So even if the software is not extra smart, I'm sure a large screen size will work.

I've taken my Max 2 to lectures, with the lecture notes open. It was exactly as if I'd taken a pile of printed lecture notes with me - perfect for me. With a smaller screen it would be slightly less convenient.

Tags
carta, note, pdf