Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-07-2018, 11:10 AM   #1
hldk
hldk began at the beginning.

Device: Aura one
Relacing the screen or buy a new one

Hello,
I dropped my Aura one (2015) and broke lcd. I am quite handy with electronic devices and i was thinking maybe if i buy the lcd from ebay or aliexpress I can fix it myself and save some money.
When I saw the prices (40 to 60euro), I wondered if it would be better to buy a new paperwhite or aura 2 given that mine was around 2 years old.
now my question is does it worth it to replace the lcd?
if so, does anyone have the same experience? do you know any reliable vendor?
THANKS,

AMIN
hldk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 01:07 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Its NOT an lcd!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2018, 12:23 AM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by hldk View Post
now my question is does it worth it to replace the lcd?
If you're sure it's just the screen and you can do the repair I would definitely look into doing that. But I don't like to see something that's fixable not fixed.

But ... looking at prices for screens in the U.S., it looks like good used Kobo Auras sell for less than a screen does. I don't know if this is the situation in Europe or not. If so, I probably would just replace the Aura.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 12:45 AM   #4
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I'm assuming you mean a first generationn Kobo Aura (vs the relatively new Kobo Aura One).. in which case, I say,,, just throw it out. I'm not sure if that's what you have though.. I was certain they were older than just two years?

Kobo Aura 2nd Edition maybe?
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 03:29 PM   #5
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
I had a Kindle DX screen that I broke replaced by a ebay seller who sells refurbished Kindles so it can be done. I also have a Sony PRS-950 screen on the way from China as I am going to try replacing both a screen with dead spots and a deteriorated battery on one. The Aura is inexpensive enough on ebay used so I am not sure of the economics of replacing the illuminated screen. It all depends on what you can get a screen for versus the price of a used unit.

The Kindle DX is still going for $160 to about $240 depending on condition so a screen replacement is worthwhile. The Sony is also still fairly expensive typically and the repair parts are in the $45 range for battery and screen from ebay sellers. The Sony also has the advantage of a PDF service manual being available and I have downloaded a copy. I have never seen mention of service manuals for Kobo or Kindle ebook readers.

I bought a new Kobo Aura from an ebay seller recently for $55 including shipping. Mentioned for comparison purposes.

Last edited by Richwood; 01-12-2018 at 03:54 PM.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2018, 04:10 AM   #6
leftright
Addict
leftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Kobo Glo
I would "relace" the screen with leather strips, lasts forever with a occasional dab of oil.
:-)) sorry couldn't resist it.
leftright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 02:59 AM   #7
hldk

Thanks all,
I found the screen on aliexpress for 40 euro free shipping, the second hand one with shipping from US is around 60 euro. There is no Aura one (non hd) any more so the closest thing to compare is aura aura 2nd edition (120 euro).
So I agree with you that it makes more sense to buy a second hand one. but when I opened the device and saw how easy it is to change the screen. I changed my mind. I think i like the challenge and in the way i might save 20 euro that i can spend on a good protector. I remember the battery was in perfect condition so I do not want to change it now.
I leave in Barcelona and normally in EU the prices are a bit higher than US.

I will let you know the result.
Thank you all for your help.
Old 01-15-2018, 03:01 AM   #8
hldk

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftright View Post
I would "relace" the screen with leather strips, lasts forever with a occasional dab of oil.
:-)) sorry couldn't resist it.
Nice, do you know any good one I can buy online?