Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 02-02-2013, 05:24 PM   #1771
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue2u View Post
I haven't tried any of these in the past couple of months, but these are the ones I would try to use if I had to [they were one use only but would recycle after awhile]:

ac4auto45 45% off
c4auto40 40% off
thankyou40 40% off
thankyou2012 35% off

Maybe if someone needs to try, they could let us know if any of them still work [or are working again]?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
@blue2u I just tried them all and they all say expired.

Oh well, thanks anyway!!
The first three say "not active" for me, the last one says "expired." I wonder if that means the first three will recycle but the last one won't...
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:19 PM   #1772
Illyria
Connoisseur
Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK, K5, K7, KPW3
Quote:
You're welcome.
That's too bad about none of the 35-45% codes working, guess I won't be buying at Kobo for awhile then!
I guess me neither. In order to save money (I usually buy at Amazon) I would need at least a 35% coupon.

I have tried most of the other codes a few days ago when VoucherCodes40 was still active and they did not work for me. Not sure of it was because they were expired or because of regional restrictions.
Illyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:40 PM   #1773
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
The first three say "not active" for me, the last one says "expired." I wonder if that means the first three will recycle but the last one won't...
Good point MrsOften, guess it's worth trying them again down the road then. Definitely worth keeping in mind.

Illyria, it sounds like those are just not working right now. But it's worth checking back to this thread for the latest. We've had some remarkable luck over the past year so you never know.
Blue2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:42 PM   #1774
Illyria
Connoisseur
Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK, K5, K7, KPW3
Oh, I will definitely regularly check this thread! As soon as a code of 35% or more comes up again I will shop!
Illyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:32 PM   #1775
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I haven't had my e-reader long so not used to the pricing schemes for e-books, but I was surprised that most of the books I looked at were already cheaper at Kobo than elsewhere, even without a discount voucher.

I noticed is that some books are set at the same dollar price point for different countries even though their dollars are worth different amounts. A lot of the books I looked at buying were $US 7.99 at Kobo US (and Amazon US), but were $NZ 7.99 (= $US 6.65) at Kobo NZ. So even before vouchercodes40 I was saving 20% compared to the US price.

I wonder if these prices are normal, or is Kobo making some sort of marketing push in New Zealand? I saw some Televison advertising for Kobo e-readers here recently, never seen that for Sony or Kindle (the other main brands sold here).
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:05 PM   #1776
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
I haven't had my e-reader long so not used to the pricing schemes for e-books, but I was surprised that most of the books I looked at were already cheaper at Kobo than elsewhere, even without a discount voucher.

I noticed is that some books are set at the same dollar price point for different countries even though their dollars are worth different amounts. A lot of the books I looked at buying were $US 7.99 at Kobo US (and Amazon US), but were $NZ 7.99 (= $US 6.65) at Kobo NZ. So even before vouchercodes40 I was saving 20% compared to the US price.

I wonder if these prices are normal, or is Kobo making some sort of marketing push in New Zealand? I saw some Televison advertising for Kobo e-readers here recently, never seen that for Sony or Kindle (the other main brands sold here).
Yes, it's always good to shop around before you buy! I'm not sure about the NZ push as you say, I'm in Canada so generally our prices are much higher than US prices too.
I generally go to kobobooks and amazon, not too often but sometimes googleplay and sony also. MY understanding is that on the big publishers books the price is set by them, and then the supposed "exchange" is added and then generally discount codes don't apply to them. But I definitely see a big price difference at times between Canadian vs US prices on the publisher set prices. Buying books and getting the best price is tricky. But luckily there are tricky ways to get those best prices too [country settings, using a VPN like TunnelBear, etc.] There's lots of great tips and tricks you can learn around here and I'm so grateful I found MBR to learn them.
Blue2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:10 PM   #1777
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
You're quite right, 3 x not active, 1 x expired!!!

And yes I also hope that means they'll recycle
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:11 PM   #1778
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes, it's always good to shop around before you buy! I'm not sure about the NZ push as you say, I'm in Canada so generally our prices are much higher than US prices too.
That is why I was surprised. Paper books have always been much more expensive here, and to rub salt into the wound they would list the RRP for US and Canada or UK on the back, so I could see exactly how much I was being ripped off.

It is also interesting that Kobo charges in $NZ (so no credit card fees), but is not actually located "in" New Zealand and so their books can be sold tax-free in NZ. Kobo seem to be the only e-book retailer taking advantage of this. (If I buy from Amazon I have to pay to convert to $US, either in the form of a credit card fee or by accepting PayPal's bad exchange rates. If I buy from a local shop I have to pay 15% GST. Buying at Kobo I pay neither).

Last edited by GeoffR; 02-02-2013 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-02-2013, 10:18 PM   #1779
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post

Geoff I notice the same pricing schedule with the AUD prices - usually same as USD, although our dollar has been worth more than the USD for several years now (in the main).

However, on the odd occasion I find the AUD price is a bit lower.

Still, at least with Kobo I'm paying in AUD and there's no conversion rate when I'm using an AUD address. That in itself is a saving.

However, I still get charged by my government an overseas purchase tax - which I assume means that the transaction is taking place in Canada.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:55 PM   #1780
GeoffR
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
Geoff I notice the same pricing schedule with the AUD prices - usually same as USD, although our dollar has been worth more than the USD for several years now (in the main).

However, on the odd occasion I find the AUD price is a bit lower.

Still, at least with Kobo I'm paying in AUD and there's no conversion rate when I'm using an AUD address. That in itself is a saving.

However, I still get charged by my government an overseas purchase tax - which I assume means that the transaction is taking place in Canada.
Some books are at the fixed price point in $NZ, but others seem to be fixed in another currency (probably $US) and so they change by a few cents every now and then as the exchange rate fluctuates. It could be just a coincidence that many of the books I have been buying or wanting to buy are at a fixed price point.

NZ doesn't have any sort of overseas purchase tax any more, in fact the opposite, it taxes local transactions but not overseas ones if they are under $400, so there is a natural incentive to buy from overseas retailers. With physical goods that is moderated by the cost of postage and the problem of getting a replacement if the goods are faulty, but e-books don't have those limitations.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:43 AM   #1781
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
25% off Comeback2602_3 expires 7th Feb
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:11 PM   #1782
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
30% gettingtoknowu23
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:10 PM   #1783
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by mXb View Post
RIP VoucherCodes40 & BargainMoose40.

I haven't bought any books from Kobo for awhile and am now getting pleading emails from them to "...come back to Kobo..." and offering various discounts, 25% and 30%.

I wonder when/if we will see the like of 40% again ?
Probably not soon. All affiliates got an email about how much they had grown in sales in the last couple of months and that, as a result, they were lowering affiliate fees.....
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:27 AM   #1784
lornaw
lornaw began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
"VoucherCodes40" is no longer working. I tried to use this code and it is no longer valid
lornaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:25 AM   #1785
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
Probably not soon. All affiliates got an email about how much they had grown in sales in the last couple of months and that, as a result, they were lowering affiliate fees.....
Pardon my ignorance, but what does that mean - affiliate fees?

And the fact they're being lowered?

And my guess is that sales have grown so much because of the 40% off codes ....

Tags
coupon, discount, ridiculous deals