Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-07-2008, 02:43 PM   #1
Studio717
Addict
Studio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enough

Device: Various Kindles, iPhone, iPad, Galaxy 10.1
Does a PRS-500 cover fit a PRS-505?

The title says it all. I'm going to be doing the trade-in thing, but I have one of the green leather covers for my PRS-500 and like it a lot. The current online store doesn't list a cover in green and I'd like to use the one I have. Is that possible?

(I'm guessing the answer is 'no' but I'm hoping i'm wrong.)
Studio717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 03:06 PM   #2
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie
MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Kobo Aura & Aura H20
You are correct the answer is no. The 505 hooks from the top and bottom at the left side whereas the 500 snaps in on the back. Sorry!
MarciaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 03:33 PM   #3
Studio717
Addict
Studio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enough

Device: Various Kindles, iPhone, iPad, Galaxy 10.1
Thanks, MarciaCat.

After some more looking around, I think I'll be getting that cover/wedgelight combo anyway. Only problem is that the green cover was a lot easier to find than the black will be!
Studio717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 08:07 PM   #4
numindast
Enthusiast
numindast has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.numindast has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.numindast has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K2, DX (had PRS500, 505, 700)
Thanks for this post. I'm gonna do the upgrade too, and wondered if I could reuse my PRS-500 leather cover.

One thing that stinks is apparently the cradle (BCR-RU1) for the 500 is not compatible with the 505 ... and not only that, there is no equivalent replacement. Boo!
numindast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 06:06 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I suspect that almost nobody bought the 500's cradle. What do you use it for, if I might ask?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 04:43 AM   #6
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
I doubted I could get an AC adaptor for the cradle in Australia - what DC voltage and max current requirements did it require anyway?
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 06:33 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
AFAIK, you plug the standard Sony mains adaptor into the cradle (ie any PSP charger will works fine) and then the Sony just sits in (and recharges from) the cradle.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 02:16 PM   #8
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
AFAIK, you plug the standard Sony mains adaptor into the cradle (ie any PSP charger will works fine) and then the Sony just sits in (and recharges from) the cradle.
I could never figure out the point of the cradle,much less why anyone would spend money on one. What is so difficult about simply plugging the charger into the Reader itself?
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 02:45 PM   #9
BossHogg
BossHogg began at the beginning.

Device: Sony E-Reader PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
I could never figure out the point of the cradle,much less why anyone would spend money on one. What is so difficult about simply plugging the charger into the Reader itself?

The point is that you set it up with power and USB connections and you have an all-in-one dock. I have one but only use it for charging. It's a bit tricky getting the connector to line up. I had to write "front" on it with a sharpie so I could remember how to load it. But it does have the advantage of a light that turns on when you insert the unit and goes off when charging is complete.

Dan <><
BossHogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:48 PM   #10
Siavahda
Connoisseur
Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2018
PRS-505 compatible with 500?

I know the 500 covers can't be used for the 505 readers, but could it work the other way around? I still have the (ancient!) PRS-500 and need to replace the cover, but I can't find a cover for the 500 anywhere.

I was wondering if it would be possible to use a 505 cover instead? Even though the 505 covers don't clip into place...
Siavahda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:42 AM   #11
ritoroy
Enthusiast
ritoroy knows what's going on.ritoroy knows what's going on.ritoroy knows what's going on.ritoroy knows what's going on.ritoroy knows what's going on.ritoroy knows what's going on.ritoroy knows what's going on.ritoroy knows what's going on.ritoroy knows what's going on.ritoroy knows what's going on.ritoroy knows what's going on.

Device: Sony Reader
PRS-500 Cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siavahda View Post
I know the 500 covers can't be used for the 505 readers, but could it work the other way around? I still have the (ancient!) PRS-500 and need to replace the cover, but I can't find a cover for the 500 anywhere.

I was wondering if it would be possible to use a 505 cover instead? Even though the 505 covers don't clip into place...
Siavahda, I traded in my PRS-500 late last year, but still have two of the covers: the original black Sony cover in mint unused condition (I rate it as one of the best covers Sony ever included with a Reader) as well as an OEM red leather cover that I used and loved. I shall be happy to send both of them to you if you cover the shipping cost.
ritoroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:51 PM   #12
Siavahda
Connoisseur
Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2018
Oh, that would be wonderful! Thank you so much, I'd given up any hope of getting hold of a cover!

I can easily do that; is paypal alright to pay with?
Siavahda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 05:47 AM   #13
ritoroy
Enthusiast
ritoroy knows what's going on.ritoroy knows what's going on.ritoroy knows what's going on.ritoroy knows what's going on.ritoroy knows what's going on.ritoroy knows what's going on.ritoroy knows what's going on.ritoroy knows what's going on.ritoroy knows what's going on.ritoroy knows what's going on.ritoroy knows what's going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siavahda View Post
Oh, that would be wonderful! Thank you so much, I'd given up any hope of getting hold of a cover!

I can easily do that; is paypal alright to pay with?
Sure, I have sent you a Personal Message (PM).
PS: You can see a picture of the covers at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=103922.

Last edited by ritoroy; 02-18-2011 at 06:02 AM.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:33 AM   #14
affa44
affa44 will become famous soon enoughaffa44 will become famous soon enoughaffa44 will become famous soon enoughaffa44 will become famous soon enoughaffa44 will become famous soon enoughaffa44 will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-500
Hi Siavahda,
If you don't have use for both covers, would you be prepared to forward one to Australia.
Of course, I'll pay the postage.
Regards
affa44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:01 PM   #15
ritoroy
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by affa44 View Post
Hi Siavahda,
If you don't have use for both covers, would you be prepared to forward one to Australia.
Of course, I'll pay the postage.
Regards
Actually Siavahda bought a Kindle instead, so both PRS-500 covers are still with me! Available first-come-first-served free for the US, and for the cost of shipping abroad. Please PM me if you are interested.