Notices

Old 01-06-2021, 04:29 PM   #16
BookWalker
Enthusiast
BookWalker began at the beginning.

Device: MacBook Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
No, Sigil has and uses its own python 3.8 version. Just remove the old python version (3.0) from your system and path and try again.
Ok, deleted the Python 3, as well as uninstalled Sigil, then downloaded the file again and reinstalled it. Same error is popping up.
BookWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 04:32 PM   #17
BookWalker
Enthusiast

Btw, I really do appreciate all of the effort you guys are going through to help me with this.

I hope there is a lightbulb moment and it can be solved. Being able to use Sigil to do eBooks for clients will benefit me greatly.
Advert
Old 01-06-2021, 04:52 PM   #18
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
If it is not Python, and not the ini file then I really have no idea what is going on. Do you have access to a Windows 10 or macOS machine? Have you tried Sigil 1.4.3 on those machines?
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 05:13 PM   #19
BookWalker
Enthusiast

Quote:
If it is not Python, and not the ini file then I really have no idea what is going on. Do you have access to a Windows 10 or macOS machine? Have you tried Sigil 1.4.3 on those machines?
Unfortunately, no.

I'm a Mac person who through financial means and where I live (I'm an expat living in a foreign country) a Mac is not an option, and is hard to come by, so I've had to convert to a PC. When I initially got a PC, I decided upon having Windows 7 loaded on it because it was supposedly least problematic for graphic designers and the programs that they use. (print) But now I'm wondering if I need to upgrade to something more recent in order to keep up with the how programs are progressing.

Would it help if I install an older version of Sigil?... I only want to make sure that I can produce eBooks that work well across devices and apps. I don't need special bells and whistles to make my job quicker or easier. I just need functionality.
Old 01-06-2021, 05:41 PM   #20
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Perhaps but Python was integrated into Sigil quite a long time ago. So many of the earlier versions should have the same issue. I am really not a Windows user at all, but you might try Sigil-1.3.0 o your Windows machine and see if it launches. Then work you way forward or backwards until you get something that works

Also have you tried disabling your AV software before installing Sigil just in case it is interfering with the install or launch somehow. And are you installing the required c++ runtime library as well.
Advert
Old 01-06-2021, 05:49 PM   #21
BookWalker
Enthusiast

Quote:
Perhaps but Python was integrated into Sigil quite a long time ago. So many of the earlier versions should have the same issue. I am really not a Windows user at all, but you might try Sigil-1.3.0 o your Windows machine and see if it launches. Then work you way forward or backwards until you get something that works

Also have you tried disabling your AV software before installing Sigil just in case it is interfering with the install or launch somehow. And are you installing the required c++ runtime library as well.
I'll look, but I don't think that I have any AV running. As a norm, they cause me problems, so I don't like them running.

I didn't know that I needed to install a c++ runtime library. Where do I download them from?

From the uninstall window for Windows, these are the c++ versions that I see on this machine. (like I said, I'm not knowledgeable about the guts of programs, so if this is not the right info, sorry)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_1.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	184565  
Old 01-06-2021, 07:19 PM   #22
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Since this is Windows 7 and not Windows 10, I am not sure which versions should be installed. I think Sigil does ask you if you want to install the c++ runtime library (or it did at least at one point). Perhaps DiapDealer, BeckyEbook, or Doitsu can comment here as I am simply not knowledgeable in this area.

Last edited by KevinH; 01-06-2021 at 07:43 PM.
Old 01-06-2021, 07:33 PM   #23
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
The Sigil Installer will install the appropriate runtime if you let it. Besides, you'd never get as far as you have if you didn't have a compatible c++ runtime already installed. Certainly no Sigil Window would ever appear.

Let me ask you this: did you choose the default option of installing Sigil for all users, or did you change from the recommendation and install it for only the current user?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 05:07 AM   #24
BookWalker
Enthusiast

I chose the default option for all users.
Old 01-07-2021, 05:59 AM   #25
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookWalker View Post
I chose the default option for all users.
In extremely rare cases, malware and/or viruses may cause Sigil to malfunction.
Please perform a virus scan (select Scan options > Full scan).

Since you mentioned that you're an expat:

1. Are you using a Windows version with a display language that does not use the Latin alphabet by default? For example Russian, Chinese or Arabic.

2. If that's not the case, did you install Sigil in a custom program folder whose name contains accented/non-Latin characters. For example:

C:\Prœgrâms

If 1 or 2 applies, uninstall Sigil, create a c:\test folder and install Sigil in that folder.

Last edited by Doitsu; 01-07-2021 at 07:15 AM.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 09:35 AM   #26
BookWalker
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
In extremely rare cases, malware and/or viruses may cause Sigil to malfunction.
Please perform a virus scan (select Scan options > Full scan).

Since you mentioned that you're an expat:

1. Are you using a Windows version with a display language that does not use the Latin alphabet by default? For example Russian, Chinese or Arabic.

2. If that's not the case, did you install Sigil in a custom program folder whose name contains accented/non-Latin characters. For example:

C:\Prœgrâms

If 1 or 2 applies, uninstall Sigil, create a c:\test folder and install Sigil in that folder.
Ok, did a full virus scan. Still the same.

No, my computer is set in display language of English. Although, when I initially brought it home they had installed Windows in Spanish. I took it back for them to correct that. None of the program f

Just to make sure even though the Program folder is in Latin characters, I just now uninstalled Sigil, set up the folder as you instructed, and reinstalled it. Same issue of getting the initial Sigil window up, but no function and in a constant not responding mode.
Old 01-07-2021, 11:39 AM   #27
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Going back to the original python error messages.

Because of a lack of a other working hypotheses, let's assume the original python error messages are somehow valid.

Is there a way to on Windows to test Sigil's embedded python interpreter directly from the command line?

If so I would love to fire it up and test the following:

import unicodedata

Just to be sure it can be imported and exists. If so, we can modify sigil_bs4 to import unicodedata first thing in its __init__.py code and then see what happens.
Old 01-07-2021, 11:58 AM   #28
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Is there a way to on Windows to test Sigil's embedded python interpreter directly from the command line?
It works fine on my machine.

Here are the instructions for the OP:
  1. Locate the Sigl program folder (usually C:\Program Files\Sigil).
  2. Press WIN+R, enter cmd and hit Enter to open a Command Prompt window.
    (Alternatively, seach for cmd in the Start menu.)
  3. In the Command Prompt window, enter cd followed by the Sigil folder path. For example:
    cd C:\Program Files\Sigil
  4. Paste python3 and hit Enter.
  5. Paste import unicodedata and hit Enter
(It the Python3 interpreter works, you shouldn't get any error messages.)
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 01:40 PM   #29
BookWalker
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
It works fine on my machine.

Here are the instructions for the OP:
  1. Locate the Sigl program folder (usually C:\Program Files\Sigil).
  2. Press WIN+R, enter cmd and hit Enter to open a Command Prompt window.
    (Alternatively, seach for cmd in the Start menu.)
  3. In the Command Prompt window, enter cd followed by the Sigil folder path. For example:
    cd C:\Program Files\Sigil
  4. Paste python3 and hit Enter.
  5. Paste import unicodedata and hit Enter
(It the Python3 interpreter works, you shouldn't get any error messages.)
When I perform 3. I get what's on the attached image.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_1.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	184577  
Old 01-07-2021, 01:42 PM   #30
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
On Windows 7, one should be able to hold the Shift key down, then right-click with the mouse on a folder to bring up a context menu. That should make the "Open Command Window Here" item available in the resulting menu.

Just a quick tip/shortcut to be able to open a command prompt in the correct directory without needing to cd there.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote