Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 11-14-2020, 11:14 PM   #196
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Thank you.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 11:18 AM   #197
DaltonST
Deviser
DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
CalibreSpy does not use Calibre's VLs, but rather emulates them...

If you run CalibreSpy from a .bat file, or run with Calibre in debug mode from the start using "calibre-debug -g ", you will get an explanation of what CS is doing with your Calibre VLs.

CS does not use Calibre's VLs, but rather emulates them (analogous to how WINE emulates Windows in Linux) by converting them into SQL and running that dynamic SQL against metadata.db. It loads the VLs from Calibre only one time, so if you change them in Calibre while using CalibreSpy, the changes will not appear in CalibreSpy until you restart it or run another instance of CalibreSpy via a .bat file.

Therefore, there may be a few subtle differences that work in Calibre but not CalibreSpy.

See below in bold red.

CS interprets #cs_tag_hierarchy:"=.Factual" as meaning "show me .Factual (literally)". It found one (1) book with a value of exactly .Factual.

CS interprets #cs_tag_hierarchy:=.Factual as meaning "show me any of the taglike-tags having Factual as a value. It found 26 books with a value equal to Factual or starting with Factual, such as Factual.Business.Finance.Accounting.CostAccounting .

The quotes mean "exactly" to CS in this particular case.

Code:
Selected:   S:/Calibre/CalibreJobSpyTest1
Unsupported VL:  ((formats:true) and (marked:true))    reason:  marked:
Unsupported VL:  A Fortune for Kregen    reason:  No Colons -  ':'
Unsupported VL:  Larry Niven    reason:  No Colons -  ':'
Unsupported VL:  Tweak Author Sort for Complex Surnames    reason:  No Colons -  ':'
Unsupported VL:  error:  @asdfasdf   search:asdfasd    reason:  Both '@' and 'search:' used in the same VL
Unsupported VL:  error:  @asdfasdf AND @dasdfd    reason:  Only 1 @UserCategory criterion is allowed.
Unsupported VL:  selected:true    reason:  selected:
Unsupported VL:  thelma adams    reason:  No Colons -  ':'
Unsupported VL:  vl:@MyColors:true or vl:search:example_    reason:  Both '@' and 'search:' used in the same VL
------------------------------------------------------
VL Selected:   obc6: #cs_tag_hierarchy:"=.Factual"
SQL Query:

SELECT id AS books_id FROM books WHERE EXISTS (SELECT book FROM books_custom_column_41_link WHERE book = books.id AND value IN (SELECT id FROM custom_column_41 WHERE value  REGEXP  '.factual'))  ;

total number of books found:  1   for VL criteria: #cs_tag_hierarchy:"=.Factual"
------------------------------------------------------
VL Selected:   obc5: #cs_tag_hierarchy:=.Factual
SQL Query:

SELECT id AS books_id FROM books WHERE (EXISTS (SELECT book FROM books_custom_column_41_link WHERE book = books.id AND value IN (SELECT id FROM custom_column_41 WHERE value REGEXP '^factual[.]*.*$')) OR EXISTS (SELECT book FROM books_custom_column_41_link WHERE book = books.id AND value IN (SELECT id FROM custom_column_41 WHERE value = 'factual'))  )  ;

total number of books found:  26   for VL criteria: #cs_tag_hierarchy:=.Factual

Your other issue was:

Quote:
having AND NOT tags:@cleanup anywhere in the VL query triggers an error about the user category not being at the beginning of the criteria.
Correct. If you want a Calibre VL to work with CalibreSpy, the Calibre VL must be able to be converted to SQL by CS. Hence, there are a few rules, most of which are displayed in the log when you run CS from a .bat file or from Calibre itself while in debug mode. See the "Unsupported VL:" items in the log, above.

User Categories in VLs have special conditions to be usable in CS, as you discovered. Simply change your VL in Calibre to comply with the stated rules if you want to use that specific VL in CalibreSpy.

I highly recommend running CalibreSpy from a .bat file (or simultaneously from many .bat files for different Libraries) so that you see what is going on within the CS run log if you encounter scenarios that you do not understand.

DaltonST
DaltonST is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2020, 11:35 AM   #198
DaltonST
Deviser
DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Version 1.0.83- 15 Nov 2020 Miscellany

Version 1.0.83- 15 Nov 2020 Miscellany

DaltonST
Old 11-29-2020, 06:17 PM   #199
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Would it possible to implement the same Copy link to book… options that Kovid has added to the Book Details, to the CalibreSpy book context menu, viz:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2020-11-30 100956.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	183682

Usage: it will make it a lot easier to create links between books in different libraries

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 06:28 PM   #200
DaltonST
Deviser

I will look at it after I finish a major update to MCS for a new "save named search criteria by query type/Tab" function. That will take me ~2 more weeks.

DaltonST
Advert
Old 11-29-2020, 09:42 PM   #201
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaltonST View Post
I will look at it after I finish a major update to MCS for a new "save named search criteria by query type/Tab" function. That will take me ~2 more weeks.

BR
Old 12-06-2020, 10:14 AM   #202
DaltonST
Deviser

"The calibre:// URL scheme" ?

To clarify, are you requesting CalibreSpy to support "The calibre:// URL scheme" as defined in https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/url_scheme.html ?

If so, that is a big ask, since CalibreSpy does not use Calibre's gui or guidb or gprefs or server or any other "live" part of Calibre.

CalibreSpy is explicitly designed to run when Calibre is not running at all, anywhere, in any way, since CalibreSpy was intended to be run from a .bat file multiple times simultaneously using only Calibre's metadata.db as a stand-alone SQLite database.

Could you clarify your request, and explain exactly how and when you would theoretically use what was copied to the OS clipboard from CalibreSpy?

Also, how that is not redundant with performing CalibreSpy multi-Library searches for matching books using "Clipboard Search Queries" while simultaneously viewing multiple Libraries in CalibreSpy as shown in this video example from 2018: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=166302&d=1536956413

As well, CalibreSpy has my Drop Search Results plugin embedded with the DSR icon shown in the CS window. Simply Drag a book's textual path from any source that supports Dragging to the CS DSR icon.

Or, simply copy a books partial path found anywhere into the CalibreSpy Regular Expression Search box, click the binocular icons for "path", and it will filter based on that search.

Or,...

DaltonST
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	calibrespy.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	806.5 KB
ID:	183808  

Last edited by DaltonST; 12-06-2020 at 12:03 PM. Reason: "Clipboard Search Queries"
Old 12-06-2020, 06:07 PM   #203
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
To clarify, are you requesting CalibreSpy to support "The calibre:// URL scheme" as defined in https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/url_scheme.html ?
Yes, but read last para.

Quote:
If so, that is a big ask, since CalibreSpy does not use Calibre's gui or guidb or gprefs or server or any other "live" part of Calibre.

CalibreSpy is explicitly designed to run when Calibre is not running at all, anywhere, in any way, since CalibreSpy was intended to be run from a .bat file multiple times simultaneously using only Calibre's metadata.db as a stand-alone SQLite database.
When I add books to my Intake library, I also run CalibreSpy against my target libraries, Books, Journals, and Media, via a batch script. This allows me to examine any books that Find Duplicates->Find library duplicates reports as duplicates. Been doing it since soon after you released CalibreSpy with no ill-effects. Far better than fart-arseing around with calibre-server and a browser.

Quote:
Could you clarify your request, and explain exactly how and when you would theoretically use what was copied to the OS clipboard from CalibreSpy?
Sure.

Background:

You might recall that want to keep extra data about 'entities' related to 'book' metadata - such as authors, publishers, tags even. I tried using the Entities Manager plugin for a but it really didn't suit my style of working.

For Authors I have been pasting Evernote Note links into the Link field in Manage Authors, that allows me to click an Author name in the book details panel and view what I have for that author in my EN Authors notebook (obits, bio, web sites etc). But I had no easy way to do the reverse, i.e see a list of books I had for that author - I had a kludgey scheme of using calibre-server for a while, but like most kludges it was a PITA to maintain, and it was 'tied' to the version 2 read only server.

A week or so after Kovid implemented the calibre:// URI protocol handler, Evernote published a major new version - a 'feature' of which is to end support for local notebooks and force everything into their cloud - grrrh.

So I exported my Author Notes from Evernote into MHT 'files' and used them to create entries in an Authors library - one 'book' per Author.

In my content libraries (Books, Journals, Media) I have replaced the evernote://blah-blah links in Manage Authors with calibre://show-book links to the relevant record in my Authors library, and in the Authors library I have put a calibre://search/ link into the Manage Author link fields.

The easiest way to get the calibre://blah-blah links is to use the "Copy link to book" options Kovid has added to the Authors context menu in Book Details, viz:

Name:	Screenshot 2020-12-07 084939.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	183824

These options yield the following
Code:
calibre://show-book/_hex_-54657374/457
calibre://search/_hex_-54657374?eq=617574686f72733a223d416e6e6520646520436f7572637922
So, what I was looking for is a "Copy Calibre links" item in CalibreSpy's context menu, with "Show Book" and "Search for <author name>" options.

But I've done what I needed to do for the 1800+ authors I have by switching back and forth between my content and Authors libraries, it wasn't as tedious as I had anticipated. So if adding the extra items to CalibreSpy's context menu presents a challenge I won't be bothered too much.

Stay Safe - BR

Aside: Rather maintaining the MHT files in Word I am moving the content into calibre custom columns - now that is tedious.

PS: if you can think of a way to add a "Link" field to the other "Manageable" column types without major database surgery that would be no bad thing

Last edited by BetterRed; 12-07-2020 at 04:02 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 12-07-2020, 06:41 PM   #204
DaltonST
Deviser

CS: New Menu Items Concept

Does the attached image show what you are looking for?

DaltonST
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CS_New_Menu_Items.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	183848  
Old 12-08-2020, 12:21 AM   #205
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Does the attached image show what you are looking for?
Almost, what it doesn't do is cater for multiple authors. I would settle for just the first author, I would prefer separate options for each author, viz:

Link: Show book in Calibre
Link: Show Books for <author_name_1> in Calibre
Link: Show Books for <author_name_2> in Calibre

What I wouldn't want is any 'AND/OR" combinations

And I am not fussed about having keyboard shortcuts for everything, I use the Menu Key to pop context menus and then the arrow keys.

And FYI: https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre/+bug/1907159

You might want to hang fire until that gets resolved.

Thanks - BR
Old 12-10-2020, 04:30 PM   #206
DaltonST
Deviser

Beta #1: Calibre Link Support

See the later post re: Version 1.0.84 Released

Last edited by DaltonST; 12-11-2020 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Version 1.0.84 Released
Old 12-10-2020, 07:40 PM   #207
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Attached is the first beta of version 1.0.84 of CalibreSpy.

The context menu is shown in the attached image.

CS uses the "user friendly" format for Calibre Links, since the "hex" format requires that the Calibre GUI be "live", and CalibreSpy is explicitly designed to run without Calibre being "live".

The hex format supports very complex Author Names that occasionally might have an accuracy issue in the "user friendly" HTML URL format, but the alternative is to not support Calibre Links at all in CalibreSpy for the reason cited above.

User Friendly Format Examples:

calibre://search/CalibreLibraryCodes?q=authors:"Holly%20Black"

calibre://search/CalibreLibraryCodes?q="id:86"
When it was first released, the fact that I could use calibre-spy alongside the calibre GUI was a major feature for me; heaps better than running calibre-server 2.0 and using a browser. When I am adding 'books' to my Intake library, I run calibre-spy instances against my 3 target libraries - been doing it hassle free for years. It facilitates inter-library duplicate resolution much better than burrowing to libraries with a file manager.

Back to the subject at hand - calibre:// links.

I want to copy links from books in library A to paste into books in library B, which means I need to have library B open in the calibre GUI. If I can get the links from calibre-spy I wouldn't have to switch the calibre GUI between library A and library B.

But, I would be reluctant to copy links from calibre-spy if it didn't deliver the same result as doing the same thing from the calibre book-details panel. There are occasions (e.g. one-offs) when I would copy in calibre, switch libraries, and paste in calibre. If it meant calibre-spy sourced links from the calibre GUI, then… for me at least… it would be preferable to disable the "Copy Calibre Links to Clipboard" context menu item if the Calibre GUI wasn't running.

BR
Old 12-10-2020, 08:30 PM   #208
DaltonST
Deviser

Read the Calibre user manual for Links. It had 2 methods. Hex and User Friendly.

Also, CS will never be able to use the hex method. Ever. The GUI being open is irrelevant.
Old 12-10-2020, 10:29 PM   #209
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

AFAIK the Copy Link options in Book Details always generate _hex_ links. I can't imagine I would ever create a link by typing it, and because I always give links a label I don't place any value on User Friendly URLs.

I don't like the possibility of having two or more links that reference the same object using different encoding because I happened to copy them in different places. So, if its not possible to have calibre-spy generate links in the same manner, preferably with the same code, as those generated by calibre itself I will have to forego using it.

Thanks for the work you've put into this.

BR
Old 12-11-2020, 01:03 PM   #210
DaltonST
Deviser

Version 1.0.84 "Copy Calibre links" item in CalibreSpy's context menu

Version 1.0.84- 11 Dec 2020 "Copy Calibre links" item in CalibreSpy's context menu, with "Show Book" and "Search for <author name>" options.

These URL Links are based on https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/url_scheme.html.

Obviously this can be used only by Calibre 5.7+, although CalibreSpy will still generate them properly even with a minimum version of Calibre 4.6.

To ensure the accuracy of the search results in Windows 10 users, the "author name" query (only) is shown as hexidecimal so that the Windows 10 command line does not corrupt the query when parsing it to pass it to Calibre.

CalibreSpy Example:

Book ID: 15 calibre://search/CalibreLibraryCodes?q="id:15"

Book Author Name: Krasznahorkai, László

Calibre Link's url: calibre://search/CalibreLibraryCodes?eq=617574686f72733a223d4cc3a17 37a6cc3b3204b7261737a6e61686f726b616922

Results in the Calibre GUI SearchBar: authors:"=László Krasznahorkai"

Note: If you were to use the Calibre GUI Book Details "Copy Link" function, it would be in a totally different format that only Calibre itself can create due it its support of the Calibre Server library_id (which CalibreSpy does not use).

DaltonST

Last edited by DaltonST; 12-11-2020 at 01:13 PM.