Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 08-28-2010, 03:57 PM   #1
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
DIY Jetbook Light book holder

Made the first of these about a week ago. Managed to go for 2 days before my wife demanded one. Wanted to rebuild a new one with better corners, and decided I might as well show everyone else how I did it.

The wire is just a piece of house wiring I stripped out. Typically will have 1 black wire, one white wire, and one bare ground wire. Either of the insulated black or white wires will work. You'll want a piece about 2' long to start with.

First bends I made are 5.25" apart. This makes a big U shape, and you should have 9" or more wire on each long side of the U. The next 2 bends are small, about 3/8's of an inch, and then again aprox 3/8's of an inch.

This should give you the "socket" that the JBL right side drops into. With the wire going up, running above the number keys, then back down, and around.

Pictures step4b, and step 5 show how I "adjust" the wire to conform to the battery case.

I use a length of 4" for the back legs. This gives me a pretty comfortable angle for most reading.

Picture "finish" show how I finish off the process with a hair tie or rubber band to snug the JBL lightly into the wire. This makes it secure, yet easy to remove.

The picture lmnh (Look Ma, No Hands!) Illustrates exactly why I love this little project. Also with the holder I can read while eating in my fav comfy chair, just need a finger now and then to turn a page.

Anyway I hope this inspires some of you Jetbook Lite owners to go find a piece of wire and a pair of pliers. You'll be glad you did.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Start.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	57297   Click image for larger version

Name:	step1.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	57298   Click image for larger version

Name:	step2.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	57299   Click image for larger version

Name:	step3.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	57300   Click image for larger version

Name:	step4.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	57301   Click image for larger version

Name:	step4b.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	57304   Click image for larger version

Name:	step5.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	57305   Click image for larger version

Name:	step6.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	57306   Click image for larger version

Name:	Finish.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	57307   Click image for larger version

Name:	lmnh.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	57308  
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 04:44 PM   #2
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Hmm... that gets me thinking, it's been a while since my last Dremel tool project.

Maybe an adjustable PCV arm for my bed and one for the LazyBoy. Oh I know, I
could make a "Bundy" model for the throne!

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2010, 05:02 PM   #3
GA Russell
Pre-season starts May 20
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Looks great, Bill!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 06:22 PM   #4
capidamonte
Not who you think I am...
capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: PocketBook 360 -- Ivory
You might want to pick up a couple of crimpable wire butt splice connectors at the hardware store -- use 'em instead of the electrical tape to get a nice clean line for the final connection. They're probably something like ten cents apiece.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3M-%2094784.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	57312  

Last edited by capidamonte; 08-28-2010 at 06:34 PM.
capidamonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 07:09 PM   #5
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Great ideas.

Coathanger wire, while harder to work with, is less likely to deform in use than copper electrical wire which is pretty soft. Hobby/craft stores (sometimes hardware stores like Ace) also sell stainless steel "music" wire that is reasonably deformation resistant. Butt splices can be obtained without the insulation for a cleaner look or one can get tubing at a craft/hobby store to make one's own butt splice and just solder them in place (even cleaner looking albeit more work).

I find when "in the wild," the battery bump holds my JBL at an adequate angle for reading most of the time so a holder is not needed; it would be...ah...difficult to stuff in my purse anyway. At home I don't use my JBL; I read from my TV screen. But this is great for someone who does need a book stand. Well done!
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert