Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-11-2019, 06:02 AM   #61
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
Looks like it only shows #160 .

I'll toss   in there now and test.
Make sure it's one or the other: not both.

Quote:
(But I never looked at/messed with that menu in my life—only when I fixed the Sigil manual—and Sigil definitely didn't replace   in previous versions.)
Sure it did (if   was in the list). That's what it's intended to do.

Quote:
Note: Just tested with   in the Preserved Entities, still replaces it.
Again ... make sure it's one or the other (and not both) and that's what all no-break spaces will be converted to. If you work with EPUB3 at all, numeric (or neither starting with 0.9.14) is recommended.

And "Never in my life (except for) "... really?

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-11-2019 at 06:15 AM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 06:36 AM   #62
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Again ... make sure it's one or the other (and not both) and that's what all no-break spaces will be converted to.
There we go. Back as it should be (forgot that one-or-the-other nuance).

Quote:
If you work with EPUB3 at all, numeric (or neither starting with 0.9.14) is recommended.
Perhaps that's another potential enhancement, splitting Preserved Entities into EPUB2 + EPUB3. Or having checkboxes that applies a given entity to one/both.

Quote:
And "Never in my life (except for) "... really?
I'm serious.

I only noticed because I have Saved Searches that adjust ellipses (using  ), and I haven't touched those things in years and years since they're proven across hundreds of books.

Just went to fix an older one of my ebooks right now, and the ellipsis fix wasn't working. Surprised to see &160; in my code, and I would never use that. (Plus it would make code comparing Before/After an enormous pain.)

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 07-11-2019 at 06:44 AM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2019, 06:49 AM   #63
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Perhaps that's another thing, splitting Preserved Entities into EPUB2 + EPUB3. Or having checkboxes that applies a given entity to one/both.
Or just get used to using numeric entities if you commonly work with both EPUB3/2 (since they're valid in both). Or better yet... empty the Preserve Entities list and go totally entity free.

We thought briefly about separate entities lists, but ultimately couldn't justify the extra prefs clutter when using numeric entities solves the problem for both formats.

Quote:
Just went to fix an older one of my ebooks right now, and the ellipsis fix wasn't working. Surprised to see &160; in my code, and I would never use that.
Then you never had the numeric no-break space entity in your list back then, or you'd have definitely seen them.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-11-2019 at 06:53 AM.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:00 AM   #64
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Then you never had the numeric no-break space entity in your list back then, or you'd have definitely seen them.
I have a Sigil 0.9.13 EPUB I just created from 2019.07.03 with nbsp.

I updated to Sigil 0.9.14 a few days ago... magically, nbsp's are now changed to #160...

I never visited the Preserved Entities menu. Only variable that changed in the past few days was the update. :P

I'm blaming YOU Diap, you you you! You're the reason why my EPUBs are all broken.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:10 AM   #65
BeckyEbook
Guru
BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Misc
This commit was change default preserve entity from & nbsp; to & #160;

This should not be a problem, but of course for saved searches can cause minor inconvenience.

Use for both:
Code:
&(nbsp|#160);

Last edited by BeckyEbook; 07-11-2019 at 07:15 AM.
BeckyEbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2019, 07:17 AM   #66
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

If you didn't place   in your Preserve Entities list yourself. Then the only answer is that you deleted your Sigil Preferences at some point and allowed them to be re-created with the default values. The default entry in the Preserve Entities list was changed to   recently. We did it precisely because it ensures being able to open all EPUB2s and EPUB3s without generating errors. If you try to open an EPUB3 containing no-break spaces with   in the Preserve Entities list, there will immediately be errors. We thought it best not to subject new users to that possibility.

Anyway ... now you now. Put your   back in your list and live happy (it would still be there had your prefs not been wiped/reset at some point). Just don't come crying when an unknown epub you open starts giving you pink errors!
Old 07-11-2019, 07:48 AM   #67
Tex2002ans
Wizard

Quote:
Anyway ... now you now. Put your   back in your list and live happy (it would still be there had your prefs not been wiped/reset at some point).
You know what else could have happened?

I did open an EPUB3 within the past few days too (rarely do that). Perhaps that's what changed my Preserved Entities list (and not the update itself)? And when I went back to my usual EPUB2 ways, it never changed back?

(I usually have multiple Sigil's open as well... and we all remember those strange shenanigans with the Clips blanking themselves out between Sigil instances.)

So perhaps it was a case of EPUB3 and EPUB2 being opened at the same time... overwriting some sort of preferences.

Quote:
Just don't come crying when an unknown epub you open starts giving you pink errors!
You'll pry those human-understandable named entities from my cold, dead hands!

(Enough rambling, time for bed, too sleepy!)
Old 07-11-2019, 02:18 PM   #68
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
You'll pry those human-understandable named entities from my cold, dead hands!
Mine too!
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 02:54 PM   #69
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I like human understandable characters myself. So I typically rock a completely empty Preserve Entities list. Which means I don't have to see a single entity (named, numeric or hex)* in Code View, but hey!... whatever floats your boat.

* Yes, I know characters like & and < and > would still require the use of entities in Code View, but those entities are always preserved without listing them. So please -- in the name of all that's holy -- never ever enter any of those 3 particular entities in the Preserve Entities list!! In fact, I need to remember to modify Sigil to ignore those entities if someone mistakenly adds them to the Preserve Entities list.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:30 PM   #70
Tex2002ans
Wizard

Quote:
So please -- in the name of all that's holy -- never ever enter any of those 3 particular entities in the Preserve Entities list!! In fact, I need to remember to modify Sigil to ignore those entities if someone mistakenly adds them to the Preserve Entities list.
Now that sounds like a good addition.