Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-21-2010, 02:06 AM   #1
Zorz
Zealot
Zorz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
Kindle formatted feeds

How does Calibre format its news sources so they are like published sources like the nyt and wsj. The published sources have the nice table of contents in the front and articles can be switched by the pointer.

is it kindlegen?
Zorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:21 AM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
calibre does not use kindlegen. MOBI output generates index navigation points for use by the Kindle's pointer. As for the actual layout of the news sources that is all in how the person who wrote the recipe decided to format the content.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2010, 09:16 AM   #3
metph86
metph86 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
It's hard to believe that the recipe authors code specifically for the kindle because i tried a couple and they all look like the paid subscriptions with sections page and sections title. I think the kindle automatically formats mobis that are marked as newspaper, does it?

in that case, how can i get the newspaper's logo on the top of the sections page instead of the calibre logo?

thx!
metph86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:39 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by metph86 View Post
It's hard to believe that the recipe authors code specifically for the kindle because i tried a couple and they all look like the paid subscriptions with sections page and sections title. I think the kindle automatically formats mobis that are marked as newspaper, does it?

in that case, how can i get the newspaper's logo on the top of the sections page instead of the calibre logo?

thx!
If your using the recipes in Calibre to grab your news then it is Calibre that is using its recipe to download, parse, and create the mobi file. All the kindle is doing is reading the created mobi book.

Unfortunately I have not tried to place a logo, but I do think you can place a cover on the book using

Code:
cover_url = u'http://www.forbes.com/media/current_covers/forbes_120_160.gif'

or maybe

get_cover_url(u'http://www.forbes.com/media/current_covers/forbes_120_160.gif')
You can check the manual starting here, then here, and here to test your recipe without d/ling the entire feed.

Good Luck

&
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:34 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can jump through a few hoops to achieve the logo, as far as I recall it involved setting a masthead item in the OPF.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2010, 12:35 PM   #6
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I believe that there's currently no means of designating a masthead image to be used from a user recipe. It is possible to provide a masthead image in self-generated OPF file.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 03:34 PM   #7
metph86
metph86 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Oh that stuff sounds complicated i don't know anything about python programming

i found an easy workaround though - simply replaced the "calibre_banner.png" in /resources/content_server/ .. it's not paperspecific but hey it does the job for now

a paperspecific fix would still be great so if you guys have an idea/tutorial how to do it...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre_banner.png
Views:	248
Size:	11.2 KB
ID:	43988  
metph86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 06:13 PM   #8
Zorz
Zealot
Zorz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
I created a python app which screen scrapes a partial rss feed and outputs a full rss feed in xml. Feedbooks seems to like the way I do things, but Calibre doesn't. I just get a blank book in calibre.

So I want to be able to make properly formatted kindle newspapers.
Zorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:17 PM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by metph86 View Post
i found an easy workaround though - simply replaced the "calibre_banner.png" in /resources/content_server/ .. it's not paperspecific but hey it does the job for now

a paperspecific fix would still be great so if you guys have an idea/tutorial how to do it...
Nice touch!
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote