Notices

Old 12-28-2009, 02:55 PM   #91
Ben0
Retired Field Engineer
Ben0 is on a distinguished road

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pro, Ectaco JBL
Q: "Can i get the bible on it?"
A: http://www.sacredbible.org/files/CPDV-OE-8.5-11.zip

Last edited by Ben0; 12-28-2009 at 03:27 PM.
Ben0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:20 PM   #92
Not_A_Crook
Which way is up?
Not_A_Crook has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Nook, Alphasmart Neo (word processor, Viable document reader.)
How can people not expect an e-bible???
Not_A_Crook is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2009, 06:49 AM   #93
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_A_Crook View Post
How can people not expect the Spanish Inquisition?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:13 PM   #94
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_A_Crook View Post
I agree. This would not be an unexpected question, as far as I'm concerned, especially since 3 of the free books from Astak were the King James version in one format or the other.
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:23 PM   #95
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
How can people not expect the Spanish Inquisition?
Not sure how this fits into the conversation, and perhaps I am reacting more seriously than warranted, but...

Until someone steps beyond the worst that has happened before, we are prone to not expect it.

No one expected (or believed) a certain ethnic depopulation scheme in the 1940's, but sadly we now seem to yawn at the recurring theme as we see it happening even today (different ethnic, same scheme).

The worst we ever expected a few years back was that a hijacking would end up in Cuba.

As the first book ever printed, it is common to expect the (Christian) Bible would be the one of the first to appear on Tapes, CD's, and now ebooks.

Why would anyone expect the horror of the Spanish Inquisition? It doesn't even relate to the discussion.

Other than that, I always enjoy your contributions, Kennyc
Advert
Old 12-30-2009, 10:35 PM   #96
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by eGeezer View Post
Not sure how this fits into the conversation, and perhaps I am reacting more seriously than warranted, but...

Until someone steps beyond the worst that has happened before, we are prone to not expect it.

No one expected (or believed) a certain ethnic depopulation scheme in the 1940's, but sadly we now seem to yawn at the recurring theme as we see it happening even today (different ethnic, same scheme).

The worst we ever expected a few years back was that a hijacking would end up in Cuba.

As the first book ever printed, it is common to expect the (Christian) Bible would be the one of the first to appear on Tapes, CD's, and now ebooks.

Why would anyone expect the horror of the Spanish Inquisition? It doesn't even relate to the discussion.

I didn't expect a kind of Spanish Inquisition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uprjmoSMJ-o
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 06:19 AM   #97
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
....perhaps I am reacting more seriously than warranted, but...

Sheesh. It was a joke. Have you ever watched Monty Python?

but it was also on-topic -- the Bible the atrocities of so-called believers -- expectations or what something is or isn't --- etc.

Enjoy and Happy New Year.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:22 AM   #98
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverClothe View Post
I didn't expect a kind of Spanish Inquisition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uprjmoSMJ-o
Thank you!
Old 01-02-2010, 06:04 PM   #99
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?

It is apparent that the Spanish Inquisition reference went totally over my head, and no, I have never watched Monty Python. I don't get any relationship between someone asking how one could not expect an eBible (referring, I assumed, to the "stupid question" of asking if an ereader has, or could have one) and someone quoting them and asking how one could not expect the Spanish Inquisition. I still don't get it, and I suspect I never will.

Obviously, I did, indeed overreact. Sorry. I apologize. But I still don't get it.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:15 PM   #100
kennyc

Quote:
It is apparent that the Spanish Inquisition reference went totally over my head, and no, I have never watched Monty Python. I don't get any relationship between someone asking how one could not expect an eBible (referring, I assumed, to the "stupid question" of asking if an ereader has, or could have one) and someone quoting them and asking how one could not expect the Spanish Inquisition. I still don't get it, and I suspect I never will.

Obviously, I did, indeed overreact. Sorry. I apologize. But I still don't get it.
Not a problem man, it's a big world and we all are only part of it. The clip linked above is quite funny though if you haven't watched it. That was definitely the inspiration for my posting.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:40 PM   #101
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?

lol.

Or should I say diabolical lol?

Anyway. Yes, quite funny, and I can see the stretch wherein any statement starting with "How can anyone not expect..." would trigger your intended-to-be humorous response.

Unfortunately, taken out of its normal context, and in direct relation to a mention of the bible, as well as in the context of the Spanish Inquisition being one of the darker episodes of religious fervor (somewhat like the McArthy era in the U.S., but more physically violent), the visual was less than humorous to me. However, not having lived thru either the SI or the McArthy era (well as a child blissfully unaware), it is not of direct concern to me.

I just didn't get the reference.

But thanks for the link. It was, indeed, funny. And I lied. I have seen, upon several occasions, MP and the Holy Grail. I even have a DVD which was given to my son years ago, but which failed to leave the house when he did. I just have never watched the Flying Circus.
Old 05-20-2011, 04:59 AM   #102
bossvickiee
bossvickiee began at the beginning.

Device: literati reader
I got my ereader so I could read on break at work(which is often on a deck in the dark) So much easier to carry,and with the backlight awesome! I am known as"" that woman who reads all the time".For the first few weeks people drove me crazy with stupid questions,however have patience.they will get over the tecno-shock and you will once again be free to uninteruped reading.
bossvickiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 07:09 AM   #103
Zzyzx
Enthusiast
Zzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Opus, Odyssey Frontlight, Kobo Mini
I always read when I am at lunch. For some reason, as was pointed out earlier, people think it is OK to disturb me in reading, just because I have a "thingy" they don't know what is. Typical questions I get is:
1: Is that a Kindle? (I have an Opus, but I can understand the question as the Kindle is the only one people here have actually heard about.)
2. Is that an iPad? (Uhm, no? This is usually followed by a question about why I went for this instead of an iPad...)
3. Lots of questions about almost everything mentioned earlier in this thread, most of which I answer happily.

Then, when I have answered these questions, people usually ask if they can have a look at the "thingy". Took me a good while to learn to just say no, because what always happens is that people start pushing on the screen. You do not want people pushing (hard, because it is not working!) on the screen of an e-reader that does not have touch-screen! Oh, did I mention greasy fingers? We are at lunch, after all... So, just say no!
Zzyzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:13 AM   #104
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Since my chosen reader happends to be my employer provided blackberry storm it can play movies and I can demonstrate it doing just that, typically I will pluck one from youtube. I would immagine that if you have a deadicated reader with wifi you could do that as well. I can get a Jewish, Christian and Muslim holly books at any time and I immagine that those with dedicated readers can do that too.

The only real difference is most likely that I do not get the dumb questions as much since most people recognize a blackberry when they see one. Only question that I have ever gotten was "You can really read electronic books on a blackberry?" "Yes you can and you can do so on an Android based phone as well as a iphone if you want". What followed with a short description of how to acomplish the job on a Android based phone, she latter walked away happily with four electronic book readers on here android phone and contemplating which book she wanted to borrow from the library or which book she would get from the various electronic book stores on her phone.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote