Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-31-2017, 03:23 PM   #676
Dino84
Connoisseur
Dino84 herds cats with both ease and graceDino84 herds cats with both ease and graceDino84 herds cats with both ease and graceDino84 herds cats with both ease and graceDino84 herds cats with both ease and graceDino84 herds cats with both ease and graceDino84 herds cats with both ease and graceDino84 herds cats with both ease and graceDino84 herds cats with both ease and graceDino84 herds cats with both ease and graceDino84 herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: Kindle DX, Kindle Oasis, Kobo Aura One
Does this work for the entire Aura series?

I am trying to install it on Aura One but it doesnt work. There is no automatic reboot and after manual reboot there are no changes.

Thanks
Dino84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 06:37 PM   #677
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by tha View Post
I am not sure. I couldn't see a specific version for anything over 3.something version. Am I missing an updated link? Thanks?
Huh? In the last two or three pages nearly all the posts are discussing this. And there are at least five posts with direct links to the version of the hack needed for firmware starting with 4.2.8432.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2017, 06:39 PM   #678
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino84 View Post
I am trying to install it on Aura One but it doesnt work. There is no automatic reboot and after manual reboot there are no changes.
It works on all Kobo devices. There is a version for most firmware versions. But, if the device didn't restart and do an install, it means you did the install incorrectly. You need to copy the KoboRoot.tgz file to the .kobo directory. Do not unpack the file and make sure the filename is correct.
Old 03-31-2017, 08:31 PM   #679
Dino84
Connoisseur
Dino84 herds cats with both ease and graceDino84 herds cats with both ease and graceDino84 herds cats with both ease and graceDino84 herds cats with both ease and graceDino84 herds cats with both ease and graceDino84 herds cats with both ease and graceDino84 herds cats with both ease and graceDino84 herds cats with both ease and graceDino84 herds cats with both ease and graceDino84 herds cats with both ease and graceDino84 herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: Kindle DX, Kindle Oasis, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
It works on all Kobo devices. There is a version for most firmware versions. But, if the device didn't restart and do an install, it means you did the install incorrectly. You need to copy the KoboRoot.tgz file to the .kobo directory. Do not unpack the file and make sure the filename is correct.

Alright, I copied the extracted folders directly. My bad

So following your instuctions it did a reboot. But I didnt manage to activate it (version 13).
Now I did an uninstall and looking for another version.
My firmware is 4.1.7729

Edit:
Got it to work now, by altering the .ini

Thanks

Last edited by Dino84; 03-31-2017 at 08:49 PM.
Dino84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 04:14 PM   #680
Snerthagar
Snerthagar began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Hi,

for some stupid reason i decided to update my Kobo Glo HD this afternoon and boy have i regretted it.. I lost the night mode toggle at 100%

What i did until now:
- first I downloaded the file from github, dragged the .tgz file from the zip-file to the .kobo folder on my device, safely unplugged it , let it reboot and tried to toggle night mode on. but it didn't work.
- then i did some research on this forum and found another build. So i tried that using the same methodology as before. Unfortunately, it did not work either.
- so i thought maybe best to reset the device to factory settings and try again. While waiting for the factory reset i found thread #512 speaking of the build13H2O. I downloaded that, installed it, edited the ini file as mentioned, but once again it did not work.

What am i doing wrong? current software version is 4,3,8945

Thanks in advance!

PS: Never will i update for no reason, everything worked fine.

Edit: finally got it working with this version:
https://github.com/gtalusan/kobo-nig...r/KoboRoot.tgz
thanks all!

Last edited by Snerthagar; 04-05-2017 at 03:00 PM.
Snerthagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2017, 07:48 PM   #681
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snerthagar View Post
Hi,

for some stupid reason i decided to update my Kobo Glo HD this afternoon and boy have i regretted it.. I lost the night mode toggle at 100%

What i did until now:
- first I downloaded the file from github, dragged the .tgz file from the zip-file to the .kobo folder on my device, safely unplugged it , let it reboot and tried to toggle night mode on. but it didn't work.
- then i did some research on this forum and found another build. So i tried that using the same methodology as before. Unfortunately, it did not work either.
- so i thought maybe best to reset the device to factory settings and try again. While waiting for the factory reset i found thread #512 speaking of the build13H2O. I downloaded that, installed it, edited the ini file as mentioned, but once again it did not work.

What am i doing wrong? current software version is 4,3,8945
Read the last few pages of this thread. They are all about what version of the nightmode hack are needed for the recent firmware versions.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:42 PM   #682
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Has the time come to add this hack to the wiki and try to centralize the different versions on a single page?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:46 AM   #683
stanlefor
Connoisseur
stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Has the time come to add this hack to the wiki and try to centralize the different versions on a single page?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Would be really great!
stanlefor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 04:36 AM   #684
tombo
tombo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Light stays on in sleepmode

I have a Glo with FW 4.4.9344 and discovered that using the lastest Nightmode hack the light stays on in sleepmode (in normal and nightmode)
Is there a setting for avialable or maybe a revision of the hack?

To avoid confusion, I am using https://github.com/gtalusan/kobo-nig...r/KoboRoot.tgz

Last edited by tombo; 05-31-2017 at 05:58 AM.
tombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 07:05 AM   #685
tombo
tombo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Just discovered that without the nightmode hack the the light stays on in sleepmode. So probably a firmware bug.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ZTE N939St met Tapatalk
tombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 07:45 AM   #686
Swissola
Swissola began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Seems broken on the Kobo Aura

I foolishly updated my firmware today (to 4.4.9344) and went to apply my previous patches. Updated the main firmware patch successfully with the tweaks I like. Tried to patch my Aura with the night mode patch.

Seems to install OK (.ini and .sh file created in .kobo root), but pressing light switch doesn't do anything on long press except toggle the backlight. Gutted
Swissola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 04:25 AM   #687
s1mpl1c1ty
s1mpl1c1ty began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino84 View Post
Alright, I copied the extracted folders directly. My bad

So following your instuctions it did a reboot. But I didnt manage to activate it (version 13).
Now I did an uninstall and looking for another version.
My firmware is 4.1.7729

Edit:
Got it to work now, by altering the .ini

Thanks
I tried uninstall/reinstall and it didn't work for my kobo glo. May I ask what you edited in the .ini to get yours to work?
Thanks
s1mpl1c1ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 06:33 AM   #688
ormaa
ormaa began at the beginning.

Device: kobo. glo
Hello,

I am using a kobo glove, firmware 4.4.9344.
I Installed the file that I took on the first post.
I can obtain there reboot after disconnecting from my Mac, and wait for some dozen of seconds.

then, if I long press light and power button, the reader switch off, and the "Fnac" logo appear, with a black screen.
"Fnac" logo is the logo manufacturer which sell the kobo gloves in France...
than, if I switch on the kobo, after that, the screen is white.

could you give me some detail please ?

thanks
Olivier

Last edited by ormaa; 06-16-2017 at 07:36 AM.
ormaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 07:38 AM   #689
ormaa
ormaa began at the beginning.

Device: kobo. glo
another point to my problem is that now, the kobo is hard to switch on. when the kobo is off, with black screen, if I switch it on, it take something like 30 to 40 second to switch on, and the light on top are blinking like it does when the device is rebooted...
ormaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 09:18 AM   #690
pickyaxe
Addict
pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Night Mode toggle for Aura One + fmon:

I'm using this with baskerville's fmon (thanks, baskerville!) and here's a very simple nightmode toggle. I have only tried this on recent firmwares (4.4.9349+).

The script toggles night mode then reboots. Rebooting is necessary because otherwise there's a lot of instability (hanging when USB is mounted, 30 second waiting time to access home page or library, etc).

How to install:
  1. Download the attachment (nightmode_fmon.zip)
  2. Install the newest version of night mode
  3. Edit /.kobo/nightmode.ini and change "retainStateOverRestart = no" to "retainStateOverRestart = yes"
  4. Install baskerville's fmon
  5. Mount USB, extract nightmode.png to /icons/
  6. Check that nightmode.png is in database and open it. Then long press it and choose "View details", then reboot. This makes sure that all the thumbnails have been generated. Do not proceed before doing this!
  7. Copy the nightmode directory into /.adds/ (including the directory itself, so that you have /.adds/nightmode/nightmode.sh)
  8. Edit /.adds/fmon/fmon.sh and add nightmode to the list of apps. For example, by default it is "for app in koreader sketch; do", change it to "for app in koreader sketch nightmode; do"
  9. Reboot

It should be working now.
Attached Files
File Type: zip nightmode_fmon.zip (17.8 KB, 251 views)

Last edited by pickyaxe; 06-22-2017 at 09:22 AM.
pickyaxe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
glo, hack, mini, night mode, touch