Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-24-2012, 02:12 AM   #46
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
Gazella can I suggest that you download a free + DRM free Kobo.

Here's a link so you see their location - but sign in and do this under your ID:

http://www.kobobooks.com/free_ebooks

This will help determine if Kobo per se is the issue or something else.

I'm in Aus and don't have any issues.

Let us know how you go.
Lynx-lynx, I had no idea that there were free DRM books. I thought all the free books on Kobo are DRM-free. I just noticed yesterday that The Hunchback of Notre Dame is a free DRM book and guess what, it wouldn't download to my computer. So this means that I couldn't download free/paid DRM books from Kobo. This is weird because I can buy books from Books on Board and have them downloaded to my computer. BoB uses Adobe servers as well, right?

They wanted me to determine what is blocking the connection to their servers. They said it may be firewall but I told them that I have firewall off, or antivirus which I have none installed. They suggested that I call my ISP which I did but while explaining to them they had no idea what I was talking about and said they can't do anything. So I emailed Kobo customer care rep back and told them that's it I want a refund. They emailed me back asking if I'd be okay with a store credit or if I need a credit card refund. I mean what would be the use for a store credit if I can't buy books from Kobo? Am I misunderstanding what a store credit is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella20 View Post
Ok. I tried a free ebook and it downloaded.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:30 AM   #47
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Gazella have you downloaded Sony Reader?

I don't think it matters whether or not you have a Sony e-reader, I suspect that downloading the Sony e-reader software is open to all.

Here's the link to Sony Reader for the Middle East: (I googled it)

http://www.sony-asia.com/countrysele...dleEast_Africa

Why I mention this is because I use the Sony Reader PC program to download all my ADE books, that is my Kobo books (select EPUB version) as well as Sony books and Books on Board and any other Epub books on other sites. That way I avoid completely using ADE, which I reckon is a pain in the ....

Also, once you've downloaded the Sony Reader, and set up an account, then when you choose preferences you can choose which ever country you would like to buy through eg the US if the book/s you want are cheaper, or wherever.

You don't need to change your ISP with a dud ISP, you just change your country through Preferences. (I recall you saying that UAE blocks false ISP's)

Let me know if it works out.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2012, 02:46 AM   #48
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't know if I explained myself adequately in the above thread.

What happens for me is that after I have bought an Epub book, from any where, I then open my Sony Reader on my PC and go to File, Import Files.

You'll find the book in which ever directory you downloaded it into when the site you purchased it from delivered it to your PC and you downloaded it.

The Sony Reader will allow any Epub file to be downloaded - DRM and non DRM.

After I've downloaded it to Sony Reader I then import the book into Calibre and clean it.

I then side load it into my Blackberry Playbook. (I don't use my Sony ereader because I need a brighter back lit screen).

Please ask if you require more help.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:56 AM   #49
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you Lynx-lynx. I've downloaded the software and have created an account.
So the Sony Reader software is basically an alternative to Adobe Digital Editions but with more features, is that correct?
Also, do you recommend that I buy my books from the built-in reader store?
Old 11-24-2012, 03:17 AM   #50
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Gazella the Sony Reader is just another PC based Epub reader.

My understanding is that the book companies use Adobe to 'protect' the DRM on their products, and Adobe itself supplies the PC based ereading program.

But I'm sure that someone else on the Forum will better answer how ADE fits in.

Re the built in Sony reader store - I've certainly used it from here in Aus, and I changed the country (in Preferences) and buy the book from whichever country Sony Store has the better price.

Bear in mind that I'm paying in Aus dollars, because that's the currency that my crredit card is.

What currency is your credit card? Dirham or US$ or ?

Because that's how you'll be billed.
Advert
Old 11-24-2012, 03:25 AM   #51
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Gazella, have you been able to download your Kobo Epubs into Sony Reader yet? (Here's hoping, my fingers and toes are crossed for your success )
Old 11-24-2012, 03:47 AM   #52
Gazella
Wizard

Quote:
What currency is your credit card? Dirham or US$ or ?
Dirham. But for instance, if the currency of what I'm buying is in dollars, I get a notification message saying that my card has been used for 20 USD. So I'm not sure what you mean

Quote:
Gazella, have you been able to download your Kobo Epubs into Sony Reader yet? (Here's hoping, my fingers and toes are crossed for your success )
No, because I can't download the Kobo book to my computer
Something is blocking the access to the servers.
Old 11-24-2012, 04:00 AM   #53
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

RE the currency, because of your bank's conversion fees when you buy from say the US site or the Canadian, or wherever.

Whereas when you buy from the UAE site you won't cop that fee.

Blast the servers eh!!!

Your previous successful ebook purchases should be able to be downloaded into Sony Reader though, if you want to test that out.
Old 11-24-2012, 04:02 AM   #54
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Can I also suggest that you contact (email/chat) ADE and tell them your problem - because the problem must be at their end.

Or have you already done that and got no satisfaction?

I've had to web chat with them before re an ADE software update that basically locked me out of my account - and they were from Thailand. so you may get them too.

Their written English was good though.

Last edited by Lynx-lynx; 11-24-2012 at 04:05 AM.
Old 11-24-2012, 04:06 AM   #55
Gazella
Wizard

Quote:
Your previous successful ebook purchases should be able to be downloaded into Sony Reader though, if you want to test that out.
Yup, that's right. I had ADE the default software but as soon as I installed the Sony Reader software, the default software automatically changed to Sony Reader.
Old 11-24-2012, 04:07 AM   #56
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

And did the Epubs successfully download into the Sony Reader?

Sometimes I find they auto download, and other times I have to Import them.
Old 11-24-2012, 04:07 AM   #57
Gazella
Wizard

Quote:
Can I also suggest that you contact (email/chat) ADE and tell them your problem - because the problem must be at their end.

Or have you already done that and got no satisfaction?

I've had to web chat with them before re an ADE software update that basically locked me out of my account - and they were from Thailand. so you may get them too.

Their written English was good though.
Oh I haven't thought of that!
Old 11-24-2012, 04:21 AM   #58
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Also, do you know about Luzme.com and other book price comparison sites?

That's the only one I use, but I know there are others. Luzme makes the job of comparing book prices across the various major ebook sellers a lot easier!!

Edit

Ahh, I just remembered, they don't compare for the UAE.
Old 11-24-2012, 04:31 AM   #59
Gazella
Wizard

I've seen it mentioned somewhere in the forum.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:08 AM   #60
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella20 View Post
They wanted me to determine what is blocking the connection to their servers. They said it may be firewall but I told them that I have firewall off, or antivirus which I have none installed.
You have a computer that's connected to the internet, which has no antivirus software installed????

I know this isn't the subject of this thread, but this is absolutely madness . AV software is absolutely essential on any computer which has an internet connection.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote