Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-04-2012, 11:33 AM   #1
recoco
recoco began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
If Kindle does not support big mobi file very well?

I have some big mobi ebooks converted by Calibre.The biggest one is about 15MB.When I was reading these big mobi files, I had often encountered the problem of kindle crash.When crashed, I had to do a hard reset.I had not distinguished this is because of big file or the mobi file type.But I'm really sure the smaller mobi/pdf ebooks work fine.My kindle is kindle 4.I had saw that it has only 128M RAM.really?
Does anyone have the same problem?Thanks!
recoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:46 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Sounds like a problem with the indexing service getting stuck.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2012, 12:56 PM   #3
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by recoco View Post
I have some big mobi ebooks converted by Calibre.The biggest one is about 15MB.When I was reading these big mobi files, I had often encountered the problem of kindle crash.When crashed, I had to do a hard reset.I had not distinguished this is because of big file or the mobi file type.But I'm really sure the smaller mobi/pdf ebooks work fine.My kindle is kindle 4.I had saw that it has only 128M RAM.really?
I had my K4 crash for the first time the other day. I wasn't reading any big book just a little Harlequin. I had to do a hard reset. My only conclusion is that I hadn't restarted the Kindle in a long time and it ran out of memory. I'm currently reading a 3MB Omnibus which I added last night but so far no issues but most of my books are under 900kb.

So if it's not a indexing issue it could be out of memory like you guessed.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:19 PM   #4
Koko
thinking thing
Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.

Device: xx
Sounds like the problem is in the html, since it freezes while reading the book.
<table> inside <table> and <thead>, <tbody> <tfooter> will make the kindle freeze (see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=148747)
The device does only read the pages you are currently reading so memory is problably not an issue. The largest book I have on my DX are one where the html is 11 MB and the PRC is 78 MB. I have several other large PRC's on the device (54, 50, 48, 25, 16 MB).
I always remove unessasary tags from the html, since when used in exsess may make the page turning slower. Some large html's may be reduced to more than half the size by doing so.
Koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:26 PM   #5
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koko View Post
Sounds like the problem is in the html, since it freezes while reading the book.
<table> inside <table> and <thead>, <tbody> <tfooter> will make the kindle freeze (see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=148747)
The device does only read the pages you are currently reading so memory is problably not an issue. The largest book I have on my DX are one where the html is 11 MB and the PRC is 78 MB. I have several other large PRC's on the device (54, 50, 48, 25, 16 MB).
I always remove unessasary tags from the html, since when used in exsess may make the page turning slower. Some large html's may be reduced to more than half the size by doing so.
Thanks for the heads up. I will remember when cleaning a book to remove these although this was not the reason for my freeze issue it's something I did not know and all the books I get from Smashwords it wouldn't surprise me if I ran across it someday.

My Freeze issue is still a mystery.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2012, 11:06 PM   #6
recoco

@Koko, Thanks!Looks like it is really a html parsing problem.Some books works fine without any problem.But some specific books cause out of memory.Kindle freeze/crash and auto reboot.I'll try other mobi book converter.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:09 PM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by recoco View Post
What are you converting from? If from ePub, try using kindlegen (and then either run kindlestrip or send via Personal Documents service to remove the source archive that kindlegen tacks on). Calibre can generate ugly CSS, maybe that is part of the problem.

I've opened mobi files that were far larger than that even on my K2 so I don't think size in and of itself is the issue.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:19 AM   #8
recoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Calibre can generate ugly CSS, maybe that is part of the problem.
totally agree!I'll try kindlegen.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:22 PM   #9
recoco

Sorry for my mistake.I found the book causes Kindle rebooting was created by another coverter tool today.In indeed, all mobi books generated by calibre work fine
Calibre is great and I love it!