Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-20-2013, 12:11 PM   #1
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Series sort (firmware 2.3.x)

Being able to add series information via Calibre and having the reader group books in proper series order when listing by title or author is a very nice feature of the new firmware.

But I think I have come across a limitation: If I add a book with a fractional series index then my Glo doesn't sort it correctly, but Instead sorts it after all integer indices.

For example if I have books 0.5, 1, 2, 3, 4, 4.5, 5, 6 in a series then they get listed in the order 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 0.5, 4.5.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:07 PM   #2
mconh
Connoisseur
mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, AuraHD, AuraH20
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Being able to add series information via Calibre and having the reader group books in proper series order when listing by title or author is a very nice feature of the new firmware.

But I think I have come across a limitation: If I add a book with a fractional series index then my Glo doesn't sort it correctly, but Instead sorts it after all integer indices.

For example if I have books 0.5, 1, 2, 3, 4, 4.5, 5, 6 in a series then they get listed in the order 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 0.5, 4.5.
In my Glo for Shelf series, the fractionals are sorted in order when "sort by title" is selected. I use 01, 02, 03, 04, 04.5, 05, 06, 06.5 etc.. Firmware is 1.1.5.

Last edited by mconh; 01-20-2013 at 08:13 PM. Reason: firmware different
mconh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:19 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Geoff is talking about the series support added to the firmware in 2.2.0. With that, the series name and number are stored separately in the database on the device.

I'm seeing the same thing. For the series numbers of 0.5, 1, 2, 2.4 and 5, the order was 1, 2, 5, 0.5, 2,4.

The number in the database is actually a string. Kobo will put other characters in there. The most common is to prefix the number with a hash symbol (#). But, one of the "A Song of Fire and Ice" books has something like "Part 1 of Book 2".

I tried adding the # in front of each number in the database. In this case I get 0.5, 1, 2.5, 2, 5.

I also tried adding the ".0" for the integers. That gives the correct sequence.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:57 AM   #4
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Does this mean you won't have to have Calibre send over the series information in the title any more? Am I understanding correctly that the Kobo device will include the series number that Calibre has for a book into its database? I was under the impression the "series support" that was added to the firmware was only for kepubs and Kobo's way of putting series information into the book's details. I'm beginning to think I was too pessimistic...
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:30 AM   #5
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Does this mean you won't have to have Calibre send over the series information in the title any more? Am I understanding correctly that the Kobo device will include the series number that Calibre has for a book into its database
That's right, no need to change the book title anymore, just tick "set series information" in Calibre's Kobo driver and the series name and index will be put into the Kobo database the next time the device is connected (i.e. unplug the device, let it process new content, then plug it back in to get the series information).

When books are listed on the device it sorts them as if the series name and index were at the beginning of the title, but it displays the series information on a seperate line in a smaller font, as with kepubs. That way all the books in the series appear together in order when listing by title (also when listing by author, as long as the books in the series are by the same author).
Old 01-21-2013, 12:52 PM   #6
Willa
Davidfor's friend 😊
Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra 2
Quote:
That's right, no need to change the book title anymore, just tick "set series information" in Calibre's Kobo driver and the series name and index will be put into the Kobo database the next time the device is connected (i.e. unplug the device, let it process new content, then plug it back in to get the series information).

When books are listed on the device it sorts them as if the series name and index were at the beginning of the title, but it displays the series information on a seperate line in a smaller font, as with kepubs. That way all the books in the series appear together in order when listing by title (also when listing by author, as long as the books in the series are by the same author).

Thanks for that - have ticked the box!

Last edited by Willa; 01-21-2013 at 12:58 PM.
Willa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:30 PM   #7
Willa
Davidfor's friend 😊
Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra 2
WoW - this is fab . . to have all the books listed down in the series order. Don't forget to delete your Metadata Plugboard in Calibre if you set one up for series info, otherwise the series info displays twice . . ask me how I know

Off to have a fiddle
Willa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:04 PM   #8
sirtao
sirtao has a spectacular aura aboutsirtao has a spectacular aura aboutsirtao has a spectacular aura aboutsirtao has a spectacular aura aboutsirtao has a spectacular aura aboutsirtao has a spectacular aura aboutsirtao has a spectacular aura aboutsirtao has a spectacular aura aboutsirtao has a spectacular aura aboutsirtao has a spectacular aura aboutsirtao has a spectacular aura about

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD
Kobo Glo firmware 2.3.1
Latest calibre
here's an image of my Calibre plugin settings
http://postimage.org/image/ctxiatit3/

Am I doing something wrong? Because my Kobo doesn't sort my books by series number, even when in the related bookshelf
sirtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:40 PM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I know it seems weird but the series info gets set when you reconnect the Kobo AFTER the initial sync. This is because the database where the series info is stored only has the new books added to it when they are processed by the Kobo.

Also I remember that at one point, the initial sort shown at the top of a booklist was not actually correct; you had to reselect the sort and then the list would update.

And finally are you sure... Is the series info showing up? The book should show up with the author name, then on the next line the book's title, and beneath that the series name, a hyphen and then the series index.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:58 PM   #10
sirtao
sirtao has a spectacular aura aboutsirtao has a spectacular aura aboutsirtao has a spectacular aura aboutsirtao has a spectacular aura aboutsirtao has a spectacular aura aboutsirtao has a spectacular aura aboutsirtao has a spectacular aura aboutsirtao has a spectacular aura aboutsirtao has a spectacular aura aboutsirtao has a spectacular aura aboutsirtao has a spectacular aura about

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I know it seems weird but the series info gets set when you reconnect the Kobo AFTER the initial sync. This is because the database where the series info is stored only has the new books added to it when they are processed by the Kobo.
this did the trick. Thank you.
sirtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:29 AM   #11
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I've gotten a little lost on how the Kobo/Calibre/Series are supposed to work.

When I used it on my Sony 505 and 650, I just:

1) set the series information in calibre
2) plugged in the device
3) Clicked the "Send to device" button in calibre

And the series would show up in "Colelctions" on the Sonys.

Does Calibre/Kobo work the same for series (with the latest software/firmware)? I take it Calibre creates the Shelves (on the Kobo) and puts the books in the selves in the correct series order?

Thanks.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:01 AM   #12
GeoffR
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
When I used it on my Sony 505 and 650, I just:

1) set the series information in calibre
2) plugged in the device
3) Clicked the "Send to device" button in calibre

And the series would show up in "Colelctions" on the Sonys.

Does Calibre/Kobo work the same for series (with the latest software/firmware)? I take it Calibre creates the Shelves (on the Kobo) and puts the books in the selves in the correct series order?
You don't need any shelves, I think having a shelf for each series was just a work-around for the lack of proper series support in earlier firmware. With the current firmware you just enter the series info in Calibre and everything else is automatic (once you have configured the Kobo driver plugin by ticking the "set series information" box, and assuming you use automatic metadata management option in Calibre).

Edit: You can still have a shelf for each series if you wish, but you will need to create a suitable plugboard in calibre, and perhaps turn on the shelf management option in the Kobo driver plugin. I haven't tried that, it seems unnecessary because to see a list of all books in a particular series in proper order I can just do a search on the series name.

Last edited by GeoffR; 01-22-2013 at 09:16 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:20 AM   #13
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
You don't need any shelves, I think having a shelf for each series was just a work-around for the lack of proper series support in earlier firmware. With the current firmware you just enter the series info in Calibre and everything else is automatic (once you have configured the Kobo driver plugin by ticking the "set series information" box, and assuming you use automatic metadata management option in Calibre).
I liked that on the Sonys series would be put in collections. And I would prefer similar functionality for the Kobo.

I guess I'll just have to try it to see how it works.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:29 AM   #14
GeoffR
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I liked that on the Sonys series would be put in collections. And I would prefer similar functionality for the Kobo.

I guess I'll just have to try it to see how it works.
Have a look at this thread for how to set up Calibe to create a shelf for each series: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=193184

But first try searching for the series name on the Kobo reader. Once Calibre has put the series information in the database it is usually only necessary to enter a few letters into the search box for the series name will appear, then tap on the series name and I think you will see pretty much the same thing as you would for a series shelf.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:08 AM   #15
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Edit: You can still have a shelf for each series if you wish, but you will need to create a suitable plugboard in calibre, and perhaps turn on the shelf management option in the Kobo driver plugin. I haven't tried that, it seems unnecessary because to see a list of all books in a particular series in proper order I can just do a search on the series name.
No need at all to create a plugboard for series info!

My setup is as follows:
  • No Plugboard
  • Books have correct series info entered in via calibre
  • Sending books to devices save template of
    Code:
    {author_sort}/{title} - {authors}
  • Driver setup as follows:
    • Automatic Metadata Management
    • Read Metadata from files on device
    • Use Sub Directories
    • Save Template:
      Code:
      {author_sort}/{series}{series_index:0>2s| - | - }{title}
    • Shelf names:
      Code:
      #myshelves, series
      myshelves is a custom column of type comma seperated text, like tags, shown in the tag browser that I use to define additional shelves for some books
    • Create Bookshelves
    • Delete Empty Bookshelves
    • Upload covers for books
    • Set Series information
    • Attempt to support newer firmware
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote