Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-09-2010, 11:39 AM   #1
McNutt
McNutt can extract oil from cheeseMcNutt can extract oil from cheeseMcNutt can extract oil from cheeseMcNutt can extract oil from cheeseMcNutt can extract oil from cheeseMcNutt can extract oil from cheeseMcNutt can extract oil from cheeseMcNutt can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3
Holding the Kindle (page turn buttons)

One thing that is appealing about the Nook is the page swipe as it seems like I'd be able to do everything with one hand, a hand that is in a comfortable position. How natural is it to hold the Kindle in such a way that you can press the next page button without having to move your hand? I hold my books at the bottom, but the Kindle would need to be held by the side, right? That might not seem unusual once I hold it, but I haven't tried it.

Thanks
McNutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:42 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Entirely natural. I hold mine in my palm, with my thumb about half way up the side. That way I can press the "next page" button with the base of my thumb with a slight rolling action, without having to move my hand at all.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:53 AM   #3
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
The K3 is easy to hold one-handed - especially coverless because it is so light. I hold mine in my right hand and the bottom part of my thumb rests over the next page button and does all the pressing. The top of my thumb reaches the previous page button when needed. I used to have the Sony Touch reader and I think it is less movement for your hand with the Kindle buttons than the swiping action I used to employ with the Sony.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:55 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKindleWorm View Post
The K3 is easy to hold one-handed - especially coverless because it is so light. I hold mine in my right hand and the bottom part of my thumb rests over the next page button and does all the pressing. The top of my thumb reaches the previous page button when needed.
Sounds as if we have the same "technique"!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:56 AM   #5
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sounds as if we have the same "technique"!
Well, you know, they do say great minds think alike
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 12:10 PM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

I hold my K3 with my thumb resting between the bottom of the screen and top of the keypad to prevent any shadows from casting on the sceen. It is easy to pivot my thumb and press either previous or next page button.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:04 PM   #7
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKindleWorm View Post
Well, you know, they do say great minds think alike
Or, "two monkeys, one brain".

I always used my K1 with the cover on. Since I didn't buy a cover (yet) for my K3, I'm trying to figure out how to hold it nekkid. It's so thin that it gave my hand cramps when I first started using it.

Not sure my hand is big enough to hold it in my palm to use the HarryT/KindleWorm technique, but I'll have to give 'er a try when I get home this evening.
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 01:19 PM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
It is a big change from K1 to K3 (I still think K1 has the best hand feel... that wedge shape is just very comfortable to me).

Just got my K3 yesterday and am getting used to reading without a cover as well (until the one I ordered arrives).

Does the nook change pages with a tap as well as a swipe? I tested one in-store when they first came out but I only tried the buttons for page turns.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 01:29 PM   #9
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
If you have a small hand - most women do - then it is just a teenzy weenzy too big to be comfortable in a single hand grip.
However, if you are blessed with large extremities, say about the size of a loo lid, then it shouldn't be a problem.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:27 PM   #10
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
Three great minds then - maybe all the great minds are in the UK then? (only joking)

I'm waiting for my MCover to arrive as then it won't be in a book type cover. I didn't want it to be completely 'naked' as I throw it in my laptop backpack for the train journey to and from work. But I can't use the buttons on the left with the book cover whereas with a skin or single cover (or a flip cover I guess) I can do either with right hand (on train, station platform, etc.) or left hand (usually when eating dinner with the right!).

Last edited by suecsi; 09-09-2010 at 02:53 PM.
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:42 PM   #11
McNutt
McNutt can extract oil from cheeseMcNutt can extract oil from cheeseMcNutt can extract oil from cheeseMcNutt can extract oil from cheeseMcNutt can extract oil from cheeseMcNutt can extract oil from cheeseMcNutt can extract oil from cheeseMcNutt can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3
Thanks for the replies. My hands are normal guy size, maybe a bit longer, so it sounds like it should be pretty comfortable.
McNutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:47 PM   #12
aruangra
Connoisseur
aruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nook Touch, iPad1, iPad2, iPod Touch 4G, Pixel Qi
With the Amazon cover folded to the back, is it possible to hold the kindle ond-handed and reach the page turn button with the base of my thumb? I usually hold my k3 by my left hand. That makes me reluctant to buy a cover.

Last edited by aruangra; 09-09-2010 at 08:50 PM.
aruangra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:55 PM   #13
estrial
small is good
estrial doesn't litterestrial doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy S
I usually use my knees & blanket to hold it. Then poke the buttons with my fingers when I need a flip. Otherwise I need both of my hands to hold it, as it's still pretty big for my one hand to hold it properly.
estrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:09 PM   #14
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by aruangra View Post
With the Amazon cover folded to the back, is it possible to hold the kindle ond-handed and reach the page turn button with the base of my thumb? I usually hold my k3 by my left hand. That makes me reluctant to buy a cover.
I have small-to-medium sized hands for a woman. Specifically, I have pretty short fingers (I'm 5'2", so fairly short - let's not talk about volume) Here's a photo of how I hold my K3 in the Amazon lighted case. I can do this with either hand. I can't reach the Prev-page button without the use of the other hand, but I don't need that very often, so it's not an issue for me.

tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 01:14 AM   #15
Viseguy
Just a kid from Bklyn
Viseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi; Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
I posted a few days ago about a one-handed grip that I found, um, handy. Most of the time, though, I usually have both hands on the device, even if I'm only gripping it with one.

I guess it's become what the psychs call a transitional object.
Viseguy is offline   Reply With Quote