Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-07-2019, 05:49 PM   #1
tschucha
Zealot
tschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Kobo Sage
Kobo Forma vs Pocketbook Inpad X

Anyone here had a chance to work with both of the devices?

I've got a Forma and I think highly of it but am really jonesing for a 10" e-reader. I've always thought that that would be the perfect size for a reader.

The Inkpad X is a 10.3" reader with adjustable orange lighting for nighttime use. it only has a 227 DPI screen which would be a step back from the Forma's 300 DPI screen and it looks as though the screen is recessed which is also a minor inconvenience.

The thing weighs about 300 grams as opposed to just under 200 grams for the Forma.

I have never used a Pocketbook reader but find the Kobo interface easier to use than the Kindles.

Any thoughts? I'd love to hear from people who have used both devices or even just Kobo and Pocketbook devices before I drop an obscene amount of money for one of these.
tschucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 10:40 PM   #2
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I find having the buttons on the bottom to be a big drawback compared to having them on the side.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2019, 09:11 PM   #3
Alanon
Connoisseur
Alanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watch

Device: Kobo Aura One
I never used PocketBook devices, although I had a similar dilemma when choosing between the Aura One or the (at the time) flagship InkPad 2. The situation was somewhat similar - the InkPad had a slightly larger screen, albeit with an older screen technology, looked like it was built like a tank (it had metal bits!) and seemed to have better QC overall.

The features that stood out with PocketBook were in the native software experience - PocketBook still offers audio support, better PDF handling out of the box, Dropbox sync and very competent ABBYY assortment of dictionaries (the company is a leader in OCR software and produces digital dictionaries as well). So, if you need native scanned complex PDF handling, DjVu support, Manga or Cbr, or any of the other quirks of PocketBook, then that's a different type of appeal. Of course, the chief question to ask is - are these native benefits so good that they beat Kobo's patching community? (A few more potential considerations - do you like tinkering? Both systems can be patched with additional software like KoReader, though I believe Kobo is a bit more modern overall. Sideloading? Preference with regards to bookstore ecosystems?)

IMHO, the increase in screen size alone, and at the expense of DPI, given that it's the same screen generation, is not a good enough reason to get it. I also like bigger screen sizes, but I tend to search for the "as close to real book page" presentation and reading experience. For me, that usually involves fonts sizes, spacing and margins that are smaller than average, which means I read with my nose closer to the screen - just about the only situation where one would see the difference between 227 vs 300 DPI. If you're anything like me, I would be worried that the 300 DPI spoiled you for anything less. I can get a very good paperback effect on my Aura One after margins and font size patches, and the Forma will get you even closer. The only place where this falls apart is with PDF use, where 10 inches would truly be a blessing.
Alanon is offline   Reply With Quote