Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 12-09-2019, 09:40 AM   #346
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Nope, but there was weather. Note the "or."
Yeah, I was being facetious, but I do live in the northeast and the "weather" had occurred earlier in the week. Hence my pretense that it must have been a natural disaster.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 12:38 PM   #347
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I can't resist attaching a screenshot of the peregrinations of the broken Echo I traded for a new Dot. Three things to note:
  1. This is a lot of handoffs for a broken device that got a $5 credit. I know it's all automated, but still it uses up a lot of resources, especially in the aggregate. Wouldn't it have been better just to take it on faith?
  2. There was a natural disaster in New Jersey last week! Who knew?
  3. It's showing as out for delivery and in at yet another facility some five hours later than I took the picture. Rather a waste of time travel.

Attachment 175484
Well I hope the device took plenty of photos for its family album during its extended travels! I think that is more ports of call than I’ve made in the past 5 years or so. A well travelled Echo for sure.

I realize the Echo was one of probably dozens or hundreds of other items on those trips, but even having a small fraction of the fuel costs I wonder how much that added up to, and what impact it had on the environment. One poster suggested blacklisting these old broken devices and throwing them away. However, I bet, though I know someone who will disagree with me, that Amazon can send it to a salvage company to pull out the usable electronics for use in refurbishing or even building new devices. That does happen. Apple even takes out the useless components that might be detrimental to the environment to more properly, safely dispose of them, so maybe Amazon does something similar. So maybe that would somehow outweigh the shipping impacts...
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2019, 12:59 PM   #348
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
So...having made my only Black Friday purchase, a Fire HD8, primarily so I can get my Samsung tablet back from my husband on United flights, AND having checked that there WAS a United App in the Amazon App store (on my desktop, since I didn't have the tablet yet), I have discovered that the United App does not work on the HD8, and apparently Amazon has removed it from the App Store for that model.

I discovered this by not being able to find the United App in the App Store when I logged into my brand new HD8. This struck me as odd, but then I thought, WTH, and side-loaded/installed the Google Play store, which I had been hoping to avoid having to do, so I could get it that way. Again, no United App available for this model. Then I read the reviews and discovered that lots of people have been complaining about this for several months. Sigh!

Now I'm debating whether to return the tablet, the case and the screen protector (luckily not yet installed) or keep them since it's actually not a bad tablet for the price. But it's more-or-less locked into Amazon's eco-system, and won't do the one thing I really wanted it to do, so I'll probably return it. And then spend a bit more to get a nice used Android tablet for my husband. Or maybe a lot more to get myself a nicer new Android tablet and let him keep mine .

Quote:
Originally Posted by sufue View Post
Just made my first, and probably only, Black Friday purchase, unless, of course, a nice very small no-contract phone comes along that could replace my much missed Samsung Galaxy Players.

I snagged one of the Fire HD8 tablets, for an early gift for my husband, so I can (hopefully) get my own Samsung tablet back from him before our trip in a couple of days. He only uses mine on trips to watch movies, so I figure that as long as I can make the Fire HD8 work for that, he doesn't really have any reason to keep my Samsung . And since the Fire HD8 can get the United app for streamable movies onboard (available free from Amazon's app store, so I don't even have to hack Google Play), and he also can pre-download some movies from Prime for if the onboard system doesn't work, I'm optimistic!

I also found a Fire HD8 case (the normally $30 one) for $9.34 on Amazon Warehouse. It supposedly has cosmetic imperfections, but what do I care, it will DEFINITELY have cosmetic imperfections after he's used it for a while. So that seemed like a great bargain to me. If anyone is interested, there are still five more listed at Amazon Warehouse at the moment, even after I bought one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B01N44JBS4/

NOTE: I have no idea what affiliate tags look like in Amazon Warehouse URLs, so hopefully if there is one in there somewhere, some moderator can take it out...
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 01:49 PM   #349
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by sufue View Post
So...having made my only Black Friday purchase, a Fire HD8, primarily so I can get my Samsung tablet back from my husband on United flights, AND having checked that there WAS a United App in the Amazon App store (on my desktop, since I didn't have the tablet yet), I have discovered that the United App does not work on the HD8, and apparently Amazon has removed it from the App Store for that model.

I discovered this by not being able to find the United App in the App Store when I logged into my brand new HD8. This struck me as odd, but then I thought, WTH, and side-loaded/installed the Google Play store, which I had been hoping to avoid having to do, so I could get it that way. Again, no United App available for this model. Then I read the reviews and discovered that lots of people have been complaining about this for several months. Sigh!

Now I'm debating whether to return the tablet, the case and the screen protector (luckily not yet installed) or keep them since it's actually not a bad tablet for the price. But it's more-or-less locked into Amazon's eco-system, and won't do the one thing I really wanted it to do, so I'll probably return it. And then spend a bit more to get a nice used Android tablet for my husband. Or maybe a lot more to get myself a nicer new Android tablet and let him keep mine .
Will it install on the Samsung? If so also install Apk Extractor. When you copy the apk for the United App you can send it straight to dropbox and install it on the HD8 from there.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 06:32 PM   #350
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I can't resist attaching a screenshot of the peregrinations of the broken Echo I traded for a new Dot. Three things to note:
  1. This is a lot of handoffs for a broken device that got a $5 credit. I know it's all automated, but still it uses up a lot of resources, especially in the aggregate. Wouldn't it have been better just to take it on faith?
  2. There was a natural disaster in New Jersey last week! Who knew?
  3. It's showing as out for delivery and in at yet another facility some five hours later than I took the picture. Rather a waste of time travel.

Attachment 175484
We had a two day snow storm. Only a couple of inches in total, but it started with freezing rain that left a nasty coating of ice and was accompanied by strong wind. The major highways were closed to commercial traffic by order of the governor. There were also highway closures in Pennsylvania and New York.

Not the worst I've ever seen, but a legitimate excuse for a day's closure.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2019, 06:36 PM   #351
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
I'm waiting for a BF purchase due to arrive tomorrow. The trouble is that the seller on amazon contacted me a few days ago with an apology for not being able to send " Little Toy Wheelbarrow " a gift for my grandson. They said they never had it sell because of a glitch in the system. I contacted amazon and they also see a tracking number UPS and evidently it's still arriving tomorrow. What I'm not sure. Lol. I've not ordered another wheelbarrow yet, from another company just in case it does come. Amazon already credited my account. I guess I'll find out tomorrow.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 11:56 PM   #352
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Thanks, I'll give that a try when I get a few moments...I'll let you know if it works. I'm a little afraid it won't work, even if I get it to install, because a lot of the comments said they installed it (apparently before it was removed from the Amazon App Store) and it didn't work right. But worth a try before I return it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
Will it install on the Samsung? If so also install Apk Extractor. When you copy the apk for the United App you can send it straight to dropbox and install it on the HD8 from there.
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 11:09 AM   #353
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wearever View Post
I'm waiting for a BF purchase due to arrive tomorrow. The trouble is that the seller on amazon contacted me a few days ago with an apology for not being able to send " Little Toy Wheelbarrow " a gift for my grandson. They said they never had it sell because of a glitch in the system. I contacted amazon and they also see a tracking number UPS and evidently it's still arriving tomorrow. What I'm not sure. Lol. I've not ordered another wheelbarrow yet, from another company just in case it does come. Amazon already credited my account. I guess I'll find out tomorrow.
I guess it's on ghost tracking. I keep getting messages that it's still coming by Dec 11-14 although I doubt it. The order was cancelled by Amazon and refunded. So I went ahead and ordered another wheelbarrow. That is coming saturday. I hope !
Old 12-11-2019, 12:40 PM   #354
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle
cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
The Dell computer I ordered on BF has finally shipped. Dell's website is so screwed up I'm keeping fingers crossed that what I get is what I ordered...
cc_in_oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 12:42 PM   #355
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wearever View Post
I guess it's on ghost tracking. I keep getting messages that it's still coming by Dec 11-14 although I doubt it. The order was cancelled by Amazon and refunded. So I went ahead and ordered another wheelbarrow. That is coming saturday. I hope !
Was it being shipped and delivered by Amazon or a 3rd party vendor. Some of the 3rd party shipping vendors are a PITA to deal with, like UPS. They constantly screw up shipments, so I refuse to use them myself. But of course we cannot choose who Amazon uses. At any rate, if it does actually ship to you that isn’t your fault, so I wouldn't worry about. A couple of years agoI ordered an item that was stated to be shipped from the USA, but it turned out to be shipped out of China and the Prime 2-Day delivery was going to be more like 4 weeks. I called Amazon, complained and they cancelled the order an refunded my money and found a seller who was in the USA so I could get the part in a couple of days.The item was only about $10 and the Chinese seller had alreaddy shipped it so they emailed me an apology for falsely advertising Prime shipping and said to keep the item when it arrived. It was cheaper for them to eat the few dollars of loss rather than try to get it back.
Old 12-11-2019, 08:46 PM   #356
Wearever
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
Was it being shipped and delivered by Amazon or a 3rd party vendor. Some of the 3rd party shipping vendors are a PITA to deal with, like UPS. They constantly screw up shipments, so I refuse to use them myself. But of course we cannot choose who Amazon uses. At any rate, if it does actually ship to you that isn’t your fault, so I wouldn't worry about. A couple of years agoI ordered an item that was stated to be shipped from the USA, but it turned out to be shipped out of China and the Prime 2-Day delivery was going to be more like 4 weeks. I called Amazon, complained and they cancelled the order an refunded my money and found a seller who was in the USA so I could get the part in a couple of days.The item was only about $10 and the Chinese seller had alreaddy shipped it so they emailed me an apology for falsely advertising Prime shipping and said to keep the item when it arrived. It was cheaper for them to eat the few dollars of loss rather than try to get it back.
Thanks for the info ! It was a prime order so amazon took care of it. It might have been shipped from the UK. Perhaps that's why the seller didn't have one to sell in the US with prime shipping. The UK shipping is something like $50. But I also have no details about where the wheelbarrow is, only that it shipped and evidently still coming. The dates have changed so I expect it to run it's course and eventually tell me to notify the seller that it has not arrived. Only the seller told me they didn't have one to sell due to a glitch in the system. If it does actually come, I'll have two identical wheelbarrows. Lol. So I'll chalk it up to Christmas magic and donate one to a toy drive.
Old 12-14-2019, 02:32 AM   #357
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
Just have to post this because I am so disappointed! Nothing to do with ereaders, but is a Black Friday deal from Amazon.de (Germany). It is very expensive to get an Instant Pot in Europe, the 6qt V2 (older) is anywhere from 100$ - 135$ plus shipping. My daughter lives in Germany and I bought the Black Friday discounted 70 euros IP for her as an early holiday gift. Well, apparently the UK Instant Pot people didn't want to honor the sale and NEVER EVEN SHIPPED THE PRODUCT! I am livid. Amazon will refund the sale price, but now it costs 125 euros. I checked with some folks online and this also happened to at least 1 other person. So, seems to be a pattern?! I am a longtime happy Amazon (USA) customer and I am super disappointed.
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 08:13 AM   #358
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgeorg View Post
Just have to post this because I am so disappointed! Nothing to do with ereaders, but is a Black Friday deal from Amazon.de (Germany). It is very expensive to get an Instant Pot in Europe, the 6qt V2 (older) is anywhere from 100$ - 135$ plus shipping. My daughter lives in Germany and I bought the Black Friday discounted 70 euros IP for her as an early holiday gift. Well, apparently the UK Instant Pot people didn't want to honor the sale and NEVER EVEN SHIPPED THE PRODUCT! I am livid. Amazon will refund the sale price, but now it costs 125 euros. I checked with some folks online and this also happened to at least 1 other person. So, seems to be a pattern?! I am a longtime happy Amazon (USA) customer and I am super disappointed.
Is the blame on Amazon or a 3rd party seller? Amazon can’t control what 3rd party sellers do. They can only arbitrate and issue refunds if they think the buyer was doing something wrong. If the sale was by a 3rd party seller, Amazon isn’t accountable for their actions. Amazon is usually good about arbitrating for the buyer and/or issuing refunds. Amazon is only accountable for items they sell directly. Amazon does ship some 3rd party seller items on agreements with the 3rd party sellers, and they are accountable for the shipping in such cases, but if the item was supposed to be shipped by a 3rd party seller, Amazon is not accountable for the shipping. So was this item sold and/or shipped by Amazon, or was it sold by a 3rd party seller, and if so was the 3rd party seller the entity responsible for shipping? From your description it sounds like your purchase might have been through a 3rd party seller. If so, the 3rd party seller is the culprit, not Amazon.

Last edited by OtinG; 12-14-2019 at 08:19 AM.
Old 12-14-2019, 01:12 PM   #359
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I ordered a Garmin fenix 5X on 02 Dec from AAFES in order to save $30 in sales tax and I still don't have it. If I ordered it from Amazon, I would've received it in two days but it would've cost me an extra $30 (sales tax).

This is the first time I've ordered from AAFES and I'm not thrilled with their shipping. It took them 7 days (02 to 09 Dec) to get the watch to FedEx. FedEx then promised delivery by the end of the day on the 13th. That was yesterday. Now they've changed the delivery to the 15th.

We shall see...
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 02:22 PM   #360
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
As a matter of fact, I ordered something from AAFES a while back when they first opened veteran's sales and had a problem with shipping too. Had to contact management and get the order reshipped.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote