Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-07-2019, 10:01 AM   #1
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Amazon Announces New Fire HD 10 Tablet

Introducing the All-New Fire HD 10: Brilliant 10.1” Full HD Display, Faster Processor, Longer Battery Life and Alexa—Still Only $149.99

This was expected since the current model is two years old. It'll be released on 30 Oct, just in time for the holidays.

Quote:
SEATTLE--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Oct. 7, 2019-- (NASDAQ: AMZN)—Amazon today announced the all-new Fire HD 10, the next generation of its largest tablet, built from the ground up for entertainment. With a full HD 10.1” display and 2.0 GHz octa-core processor, Fire HD 10 offers up to 12 hours of battery life, 32 GB of internal storage with up to 512 GB more via microSD, fast and easy charging with USB-C, Alexa hands-free, and picture-in-picture capability. Fire HD 10 is available in Plum, Twilight Blue, Black and all-new White for only $149.99.
Quote:
“We’ve made our best tablet even better with a faster processor, longer battery life, and faster charging,” said Kevin Keith, Vice President, Amazon Devices. “The all-new Fire HD 10 has everything you need for entertainment with plenty of storage for your favorite videos, games, music, and books at home or on the go—and still under $150.”
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 12:51 PM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This tablet is also running Amazon's latest operating system, Fire OS 7. It's based on Android 9 Pie (API level 28). Android's latest release is Android 10.

Quote:
The all-new Fire HD 10 tablet is available today for pre-order and will begin shipping October 30. The Fire HD 10, which runs on Amazon’s latest operating system Fire OS 7 (based on Android 9 Pie), includes a new, faster processor, faster charging, and longer battery life. Additional upgrades include enhanced dual band Wi-Fi and new picture-in-picture. The Fire HD 10 is available in Plum, Twilight Blue, Black and all-new White for only $149.99.
Old 10-07-2019, 01:01 PM   #3
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
USB C as well. I see it comes with the 9W charger, and a cable. Did the older 10" come with the 9W charger? All the other Fires came with the 5W which was underpowered if you wanted to use the device while it was plugged in.

The newer iPad Pro has USB C, which I love.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 01:42 PM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
USB C as well. I see it comes with the 9W charger, and a cable. Did the older 10" come with the 9W charger? All the other Fires came with the 5W which was underpowered if you wanted to use the device while it was plugged in.

The newer iPad Pro has USB C, which I love.
The last HD 10 (2017) came with a 9W charger.
Old 10-07-2019, 02:15 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
It'll be released on 30 Oct, just in time for the holidays.
Halloween?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 02:22 PM   #6
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
According to their HD10 webpage, you can buy a 15w optional charger for $20. I don't know why they are so cheap as to not include this charger in the first place. They advertise, "Now with USB-C and faster charging". But if they give you the same lower power charger from two years ago, it's not going to be charging significantly faster. They should say, "Now with optional faster charging, if you pay us more money".

I wonder if this new HD10 uses one of the true fast charging protocols - like Qualcomm's Quick Charge? I think that particular technology requires a Snapdragon processor, which the Fire tablet probably doesn't have (I don't know what its processor is). But there are other true fast charge protocols out there.

There's a difference between "faster charging" and true "fast charging". The first term is pretty meaningless, as almost anything can be wordsmithed to comply.

Still, this looks like a reasonable upgrade for the tablet. Especially the upgrade of the OS. I hope they roll out the FireOS 7 upgrade to older tables (like my gen 7 Fire HD8) but is probably unlikely.
haertig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 03:22 PM   #7
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
It's a 10" tablet for $149....not surprised they saved money on the charger. Just like they put ads on it that you can remove for some more money.

Once again, my pocket book is saved as I'm not interested in a tablet that size. If they had upgraded the HD-8, I would have been tempted. Nice that a newer version of Android is supported (and still heavily skinned).

Will be interesting if Walmart has a new tablet up their sleeve. For the money, and for reading....the Walmart Onn 8 for $64 is nice. The 10" is only $79 with $20 in Walmart ebook credits.

For reading and Netflix type uses...I'd save the money and go with the Walmart.

30% is an upgrade in performance....but I doubt it's "twice the money worth". Choices choices.

I'm just kinda sad that my iPad mini I bought this spring has removed almost all the use cases I had for my cheap Android tablets. I have 256gig ram which is plenty for loading up movies and tv shows for a trip. The Android tablets are nice for doing those few things not permitted on a iPad (like a torrent client)
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 03:25 PM   #8
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Halloween?
Me: trick or treat

Homeowner: my, what a scary costume. have some yummy candy.

Me: candy? you cheapskate! how about that new Fire HD 10 tablet from Amazon? I swear, Halloween is getting worse every year
Old 10-07-2019, 03:53 PM   #9
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
This tablet is also running Amazon's latest operating system, Fire OS 7. It's based on Android 9 Pie (API level 28). Android's latest release is Android 10.
I wonder if os7 will affect ease of adding Google services. Its much less attractive if Amazon block that option.

I see they still have the nerve to mention dolby Atmos speakers when there are still no movies or shows with Atmos encoding available for mobile streaking.

Faster charging is the only real plus. Adding 30pc performance increase to crap baseline performance will make not a lot of difference.
The previous gen could not multitask receiving email and streaming prime video without a small pause for every email. Would be nice if that is fixed.

The kindle for kids launch is also very underwhelming, in my view.
I had a bad experience with the kindle unlimited for kids deal on a previous tablet. Easy to sign up to. but a nightmare to cancel. It kept coming back as sneaky monthly debits in year two even after getting written confirmation that it was cancelled. I would not risk it again.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 04:24 PM   #10
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post

I have 256gig ram which is plenty for loading up movies and tv shows for a trip. The Android tablets are nice for doing those few things not permitted on a iPad (like a torrent client)
It has 256gb storage, and 2gb ram.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 04:34 PM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

I really have no need for a full fledged tablet. I'm quite happy with my 2015 Fire 7 Tab. Unfortunately, it only has single-band WiFi, along with several of my media phones, and lately I've been having difficulty connecting them to the net. I have no trouble with my dual-band devices.

So it's time to upgrade my tablet and a media phone to dual-band. It's a shame to toss them out, since they still function quite well. So I'll get a new 2019 Fire 7 Tab (HD 10 is too large) and a no-contract phone this Black Friday. The Fire 7 should be selling for around $30 then and a phone will be around $20~30. Spending more for my needs is totally unwarranted.
Old 10-07-2019, 04:37 PM   #12
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
It has 256gb storage, and 2gb ram.
I believe the Fire HD 10 Tundra has 256GB of RAM and 32TB of onboard storage
Old 10-07-2019, 05:59 PM   #13
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
I believe the Fire HD 10 Tundra has 256GB of RAM and 32TB of onboard storage
And the signs by the in store displays state: "your biceps must be this big to use this tablet.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 06:03 PM   #14
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
Faster charging is the only real plus.
There's a big jump in resolution, from 149 ppi to 224 ppi.

Quote:

So it's time to upgrade my tablet and a media phone to dual-band. It's a shame to toss them out, since they still function quite well.
I know you know this, but the trade-in deal on your Fire 7 could be very nice at Black Friday prices. I upgraded my Fire 8 last Thanksgiving for an outlay of $27.50, which was totally worth it.

I personally don't think the Fire 10 is worth it, but I do think the Fire 8 is enough better than the Fire 7 to be worth it on a trade-in.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 06:08 PM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
The 2017 10" Fire has been a real workhorse for me. So much so that I'm not even near ready to upgrade/replace it yet.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote