Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-19-2012, 07:08 PM   #1
iToast
iToast , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iToast , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iToast , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iToast , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iToast , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iToast , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iToast , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iToast , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iToast , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iToast , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iToast , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Mini
Few Questions

I'm new to the forums but I've been following Kobo hacking since the weather display and I have a few questions.

1. Kobo mini, rootable? not rootable?
2. What happens if a mod to the firmware goes wrong and I don't have a backup of the microsd card? I lost my security bit set so I can't exactly make backups...
3. Python and Pygame, Mini compatible?
4. Java embedded for ARM processors, has it been ported over?

Thanks

Getting the Mini for Christmas and the first thing I'm doing is rooting it. Did it to my phone and Tablet.
iToast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:10 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Mini / Glo / Touch all share basically the same fimrware (with minor variants) so yes... all are hackable via the same techniques.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:11 PM   #3
iToast
iToast , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iToast , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iToast , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iToast , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iToast , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iToast , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iToast , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iToast , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iToast , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iToast , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iToast , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Mini / Glo / Touch all share basically the same fimrware (with minor variants) so yes... all are hackable via the same techniques.
Just in theory, since SDL has been ported to the Kobo couldn't a SDL based Gameboy (the 1980's one) emulator be ported :P

The clock speed is supposedly 800mhz.
iToast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:09 PM   #4
KevinShort
Addict
KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by iToast View Post
Just in theory, since SDL has been ported to the Kobo couldn't a SDL based Gameboy (the 1980's one) emulator be ported :P

The clock speed is supposedly 800mhz.
I see no reason why it couldn't be done. They've already done it on the Kindle. I tried to run the Kindle port on my Glo, but I got some error. I think it was "Segmentation fault".

Though you'd have to code some on-screen buttons.
KevinShort is offline   Reply With Quote