Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-08-2018, 11:02 PM   #16
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
In your pictures, it looks like maybe there's a difference in the color temperature of the LED's between the PW3 and PW4. Or, it could be that Amazon does not have tight tolerances and the color temp could just vary from PW to PW. You'd never notice unless you compared two side-by-side.

On the plus side, the PW4 lighting in your picture looks smoother to me than the lighting on the PW3. You can see the shadows at the bottom of the PW3 screen (yeah, my PW3 has those same shadows). Didn't they increase the LED count from three to four on the new PW4? I seem to remember someone mentioning something like that. That might account for the smoother look.

Color temperature can fool your eyes. We interpret the light that tends more towards blue ("cooler" temperature) as being brighter and more contrasty. But it's also harsher. Think about the headlights on newer cars. Boy they sure look brighter and whiter coming at you. They are. But we also hate to look into them while they're frying our eyeballs. Most people prefer the older, warmer headlights when facing an oncoming car. Not so harsh.
I noticed right away since it just seemed darker and a little hazier, so I compared the two side by side. The PW3 has 4 lights and they added one more to the PW4 to make it 5. You are right the too bright light can bother the eyes, especially after awhile, but the darker tones with the softer font is a bit too difficult for me to see on the PW4. I turned it up some and will have to mess with fonts. That's on a bolded +1 Bookerly font. Bolding it a little more may help for the PW4.

I haven't seen any comments here on these boards about this issue besides mine, but I've noticed it in the comments of some reviews on websites that the Paperwhite is definitely whiter and the contrast is a little soft. I'm curious for other opinions and experiences as they trickle in.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 12:08 PM   #17
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

First day reading and I keep having issues with glare. I'm bummed.

I thought E-ink was a point to change to so you can avoid Tablet and Phone glare and read comfortably in any light. I have the PW4 in the same reading spot I always have my PW3, laying flat on a desk. The glare on the screen from the overhead lights means I can't read this one laying flat at the desk. There's glare outdoors unless I switch angles when I tested it earlier. I'm surprised no review or anyone else has mentioned this. There's also fingerprint smudges already.

To me this is more of an E-ink/Tablet hybrid due to the screen. When cleaning the screen, just use a soft cloth like for eyeglasses?

Last edited by Paperbackstash; 11-09-2018 at 12:16 PM.
Advert
Old 11-09-2018, 12:58 PM   #18
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
There is one difference in the Device Options/Advanced Options Menu. The PW4 has a Power Saving Feature to Enable or Disable. It says "disabling power saver makes the device turn on faster but will significantly reduce the amount of time between battery charges." Significantly? This is an odd addition/difference. I'm going to disable it now to see if that changes the screen any.

Edit: No difference. Was worth a try.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Probably has to do with CPU clock speed. Would probably slow down indexing, too.
If it is like the 7" Oasis, it goes into a deeper sleep after half an hour or so of first going to sleep. Instead of coming back on immediately, it takes a few seconds to wake up, but much faster than booting.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 01:13 PM   #19
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
If it is like the 7" Oasis, it goes into a deeper sleep after half an hour or so of first going to sleep. Instead of coming back on immediately, it takes a few seconds to wake up, but much faster than booting.
Very informative. Thanks!

I do wonder if deep sleep has any adverse effect on NAND flash. Going by your description, it seems like regular sleep might be like normal standby (RAM stays powered) while deep sleep might be more akin to hibernate.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 01:31 PM   #20
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Very informative. Thanks!

I do wonder if deep sleep has any adverse effect on NAND flash. Going by your description, it seems like regular sleep might be like normal standby (RAM stays powered) while deep sleep might be more akin to hibernate.
Thanks, I hadn't thought about hibernate.

I guess that's one more reason to exit the book at the end of each reading session so there is less that needs to be saved to flash. And maybe another reason to get a 32GB model.

Regarding flash wearout, I'm more concerned about all the data logging amazon does.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2018, 01:36 PM   #21
Derek87
Connoisseur
Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
I'm surprised my phone picked it up like it did, but this is pretty accurate on the lighting difference. It doesn't show the text crispness/contrast difference though. The PW4 text seems slightly softer. This was both on 17 Light Brightness. The PW4 has a warmer color.

I can match the brightness of the PW3 by turning it up quite a bit more, but it slightly washes out the text.
how even is the lighting on the PW4? i couldn't zoom into your picture, but i see the light cones/shadows for the PW3...

i usually read at brightness 5-8 (dark room) with my PW3 and Oasis1, and on both, even though i "cherry picked" the best of multiple units, i still have uneven lighting near the LEDs... the Oasis2 i tried out last year was the best in this regard, but it was awkward and heavy for reading in bed and exhibited a color gradient from right to left.
Derek87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 01:51 PM   #22
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
First day reading and I keep having issues with glare. I'm bummed.
I was wondering about that. Curious to know if there is a difference between the Paperwhite 4 and Voyage or Oasis in this regard?
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 02:07 PM   #23
Paperbackstash
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek87 View Post
how even is the lighting on the PW4? i couldn't zoom into your picture, but i see the light cones/shadows for the PW3...

i usually read at brightness 5-8 (dark room) with my PW3 and Oasis1, and on both, even though i "cherry picked" the best of multiple units, i still have uneven lighting near the LEDs... the Oasis2 i tried out last year was the best in this regard, but it was awkward and heavy for reading in bed and exhibited a color gradient from right to left.
I don't see those cones on the PW3 much when reading, the phone seemed to highlight it a little, or else it was the angle.

I haven't noticed any cones on the PW4.
Old 11-09-2018, 02:09 PM   #24
Paperbackstash
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I was wondering about that. Curious to know if there is a difference between the Paperwhite 4 and Voyage or Oasis in this regard?
I wish I had them to compare.

I'm happy to report that I read in my car and at my 'lunch table' in shade without glare just now without issues. I was worried because of the glare I keep getting at my desk and in another room when I tried it, but thankfully it wasn't an issue outside in semi-shaded areas.

I'm wondering if this is the a new type of screen (cheaper made?) for the PW4 or if it's similar or the same as the others with glass screens.

From comments I've seen the Voyage had a better screen and clarity, but Amazon did not carry it over, at least in the comments I read at the-ebook-reader blog. Again I can't physically compare. In some ways it reminds me of my Fire Tablet though

Last edited by Paperbackstash; 11-09-2018 at 02:19 PM.
Old 11-09-2018, 02:20 PM   #25
Paperbackstash
Wizard

I'm happy to report I wasn't having the glare issues I worried about when I was in my car on lunch break, or in the shaded outdoor seat at lunch break.
Old 11-09-2018, 03:46 PM   #26
Derek87
Connoisseur
Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
I don't see those cones on the PW3 much when reading, the phone seemed to highlight it a little, or else it was the angle.

I haven't noticed any cones on the PW4.
thanks for this info. that is really helpful.

hopefully they have "cracked" this problem.

how is color uniformity from top to bottom? that is one area where the Oasis, and the Voyage i tried out a couple of years ago struggled: the color goes from white to yellow moving away from the LEDs.
Derek87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 03:53 PM   #27
Paperbackstash
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek87 View Post
thanks for this info. that is really helpful.

hopefully they have "cracked" this problem.

how is color uniformity from top to bottom? that is one area where the Oasis, and the Voyage i tried out a couple of years ago struggled: the color goes from white to yellow moving away from the LEDs.
Well, on mine it seems fine and smooth on light distribution. I honestly can't tell where the lights are coming from. I know many said they were moving the Paperwhite lights to the top instead of the bottom with this release, but now some who have it in their hands say it's actually still at the bottom. I haven't seen any inconsistencies in color range from top to bottom

These devices seem to be your mileage varies with screen and lighting though. My issue is the screen itself more than the lighting. Since we all read in different situations, what bugs one user may not affect another though.

What device do you currently use?
Old 11-09-2018, 03:56 PM   #28
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
On my husbands PW4 and my Voyage the Voyage looks a little brighter. Comparing the PW4 to his PW3 . the PW4 looks a little whiter. When he turned up both PW3 & PW4 to the brightest setting they look the same. In his normal reading setting of 12 then you can see the difference, the PW4 looks whiter. I didn't compare with the Oasis 2 because that has a larger screen and the others are all six inch screens. Also no cone shading on the PW4. He could see them a little on the PW3.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 04:00 PM   #29
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
From comments I've seen the Voyage had a better screen and clarity, but Amazon did not carry it over, at least in the comments I read at the-ebook-reader blog. Again I can't physically compare. In some ways it reminds me of my Fire Tablet though
Interesting tidbit from blog.the-ebook-reader.com:

Quote:
I also noticed that it has the option to disable the touchscreen while reading, which seems odd since the Paperwhite doesn’t have page buttons like the Kindle Oasis. What it does is it still recognizes swipes to turn pages but not taps and all other touchscreen interaction is disabled so your thumb can rest on the screen without causing any problems.
Wonder if firmware update will deliver this feature to other button-less Kindles? Or Voyage for that matter?
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 04:14 PM   #30
Paperbackstash
Wizard

Yeah, I saw that feature last night. I don't think I'll use it much myself but it's a nice feature, especially if you're trying to read to a child who keeps trying to touch the screen.