Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 06-28-2012, 11:20 AM   #46
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by hn333 View Post
I can't remember the last time windows crashed, the kindle fire crashes ever week thanks to android.
Thanks to Android or thanks to Amazon's interface/launcher or thanks to some specific app causing problems?

My Transformer never crashes nor does my Nook Tab. Come to that, my aunt has a Fire and she's never had an issue either.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:36 AM   #47
geoffwood
Addict
geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT+K4T+PRST1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
The KF is getting Jelly Bean from the same developers who gave us ICS, just as soon as the source comes out, it's been said.
Getting Jelly Bean would be interesting, but it doesn't make the Fire a very good Android Tablet. To me the biggest issue with the Fire, and the reason I returned mine even after installing ICS, is the lack of sensors. Without a GPS none of the location based apps and services work correctly, and that is a huge part of Android. The fact that the Nexus 7 has a GPS gives it a significant advantage over the Fire, in my eyes. Add to that a Microphone and a front facing camera which makes Skype and other tools viable and it is a much more useful Tablet. Of course it will still run the Kindle App, so you get most of the Fire's functionality, minus the assess to Amazon's Video, which I have used maybe twice in my years of Prime membership.

For me the Nexus 7 is a better solution, if I needed another tablet, which I don't. For people who use Amazon Video and don't need location services then the Fire may be a better solution.
geoffwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2012, 11:40 AM   #48
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Thanks to Android or thanks to Amazon's interface/launcher or thanks to some specific app causing problems?

My Transformer never crashes nor does my Nook Tab. Come to that, my aunt has a Fire and she's never had an issue either.
I've have replied sooner, but my Windows desktop just blue screened again, and my Windows laptop is in the middle of a long Startup repair operation because it crashed too many times yesterday....now, what were we talking about...oh yeah...
Nope, my Fire has never crashed, nor has my wife's new Android smartphone, though it's only been running (24x7) for a few weeks now.

Certainly Some third party apps we've tried have forced stopped now and then. That situation has always been resolved by clicking "OK" and going about our business with no further problem.

I suspect hn333 is a dev on MS systems (as I am) who is dryly joking with us. I don't think anyone can be so completely wrong about such an obvious matter.
Next he'll tell us that Windows Phone 7 has "won" the handset battle.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:48 AM   #49
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffwood View Post
Getting Jelly Bean would be interesting, but it doesn't make the Fire a very good Android Tablet. To me the biggest issue with the Fire, and the reason I returned mine even after installing ICS, is the lack of sensors. Without a GPS none of the location based apps and services work correctly, and that is a huge part of Android. The fact that the Nexus 7 has a GPS gives it a significant advantage over the Fire, in my eyes. Add to that a Microphone and a front facing camera which makes Skype and other tools viable and it is a much more useful Tablet. Of course it will still run the Kindle App, so you get most of the Fire's functionality, minus the assess to Amazon's Video, which I have used maybe twice in my years of Prime membership.

For me the Nexus 7 is a better solution, if I needed another tablet, which I don't. For people who use Amazon Video and don't need location services then the Fire may be a better solution.
Doesn't Google wifi-based geolocation work on the Fire with the alternate ROMs? If so, that would be adequate enough for a wifi-only device. If it doesn't work...why the heck doesn't it?

Still, the the Nexus 7 looks nice, and especially on if Amazon comes out with it's rumored comparable 'Fire 2' next month, we are clearing reaching the sweet spot of fully-equipped 7" tablet pricing, and I suspect we'll have more choices or even lower prices before the holidays.
I would consider something like the Nexus 7 (or Amazon's answer to it) for my mom, if we don't get her a smartphone.

ApK
Old 06-28-2012, 11:53 AM   #50
geoffwood
Addict
geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Doesn't Google wifi-based geolocation work on the Fire with the alternate ROMs? If so, that would be adequate enough for a wifi-only device. If it doesn't work...why the heck doesn't it?

ApK
It may well work, I honestly don't remember, but on other devices I've seen the "uncertainty circle" cover large chunks of three states, so it's not really a solid substitute for a real GPS sensor
Advert
Old 06-28-2012, 11:58 AM   #51
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
I've never had an issue with Windows for the last 20 years I've used it... And I've never had issues with my KF considering I go back and forth between ROMs and stock.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:16 PM   #52
geoffwood
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
I've never had an issue with Windows for the last 20 years I've used it...
Then you have been extremely lucky

I've had my fair share of issues across various versions, some of which required a re-install and some of which were bad enough to require a wipe and start clean. That said, given the number of different processor and hardware combinations that Windows supports, I've always been amazed that it runs at all. Microsoft do a great job with that. My Apple devices have been less troublesome, although not trouble free, but given the more tightly defined hardware they support, they have an easier job to do.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:47 PM   #53
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffwood View Post
Of course it will still run the Kindle App, so you get most of the Fire's functionality, minus the assess to Amazon's Video, which I have used maybe twice in my years of Prime membership.
Just thought I'd mention that you can watch Amazon instant videos on some tablets other than the Kindle Fire. My 7" Acer Iconia A100 running Android Honeycomb 3.2 works great with Amazon instant videos. I can't download them to the device, but they stream just fine using the browser.

My 10.1" Acer Iconia A500 also streamed Amazon videos perfectly—until the tablet updated to Ice Cream Sandwich. Now, the Amazon videos are choppy and out of sync in ICS. From what I've learned, that has more to do with Adobe Flash's lack of support for ICS and certain video profiles than anything else (more on that here). Adobe has stated that they are no longer supporting Android versions of Flash, so I'm not sure if Amazon videos will work properly with Jelly Bean either.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:14 PM   #54
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Since this thread is in the Kindle Fire section of Mobileread, I thought some may be interested in Android Central's comparison of the Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire: Google Nexus 7 or Amazon Kindle Fire?
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:05 PM   #55
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Note that Adobe will not be delivering Flash Player for Android 4.1. So Nexus 7 will not be able to consume Amazon Instant Video (which already does not work very well on my Xoom, running 4.0.2). At least until Amazon delivers a video app for Android.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:22 PM   #56
detayls
Addict
detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Kindle Voyage
Talking Good thing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Note that Adobe will not be delivering Flash Player for Android 4.1. So Nexus 7 will not be able to consume Amazon Instant Video (which already does not work very well on my Xoom, running 4.0.2). At least until Amazon delivers a video app for Android.
That's actually a positive thing. I have ordered a Nexus 7 and it will not have any Flash code on it.
detayls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:58 PM   #57
geoffwood
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by detayls View Post
That's actually a positive thing. I have ordered a Nexus 7 and it will not have any Flash code on it.
Agreed. Given Adobe has abandoned Flash for mobile, hopefully Amazon will move to HTML5 that will work across platforms
Old 06-29-2012, 02:09 PM   #58
rgc2005
rgc2005 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'rgc2005 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'rgc2005 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'rgc2005 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'rgc2005 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'rgc2005 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'rgc2005 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'rgc2005 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'rgc2005 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'rgc2005 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'rgc2005 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle Fire
My KF works exceptionally well for what it was designed to be which is an ereader. I have had zero problems when I use it for that purpose. It also serves me quite well as a light duty email, crm and meeting tablet. The lack of a camera is no big deal since I have everything tied to my Evernote account. There are a few "Waiting Room" games like WWF and Bejeweled that are perfect as well.
For GPS functionality I have tried several apps with limited success. I can use one or two apps using my iphones hotspot feature that work ok, just a bit cludgy. Since the KF was not designed for this purpose I do not hold it against Amazon. It does however put the GPS "Turn by Turn" on my list of "Must haves" when the next generation comes to market.
rgc2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:10 PM   #59
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgc2005 View Post
My KF works exceptionally well for what it was designed to be which is an ereader.
I think you're mistaken about what it was designed to be. Look carefully at Amazon's Fire site and you'll notice reading and books is never the first feature they tout about the Fire.
It was designed to be an Amazon media consumption tablet, and eBooks are just one of the media types you can consume with it.
I'm glad you're happy with it.
I'm happy with mine, too, but I wouldn't want it as my main ereader. I have a 'real' Kindle for that.

Last edited by ApK; 06-29-2012 at 02:17 PM.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:04 PM   #60
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT
Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
"It was designed to be an Amazon media consumption tablet"
True but they left it "open "enough so that we are not locked in to Amazons ecosystem (unlike Apple)
I Dont use Amazons Content at all.
99 percent of my apps are sideloaded Android
Apps/ games.
I use a third party Comic reader
for my massive.CBR collection so I Dont use/need comixology.

I use Firefox Mobile instead of silk

Go launcher EX + Wall changer
and with moboplayer I can toss Any video format want on the KF from .FLV to Mkv
and I use ALKIDO pro &Cool reader for my Caliber converted novels.

its good to see more choices in the 7 inch form factor like the nexus 7 etc.
But I am very happy with my choice of the Fire.
Anabran is offline   Reply With Quote