Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 11-01-2018, 07:07 AM   #1
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Files browsing app

What is the best software application that cleverly uses real estate, is "complete" / featureful and works well on Onyx devices? It's a dire waste to have a device as big as office paper and display only a handful of information.

The shipped filesystem browser, "Storage", is also missing critical features: as just noted in a parallel thread, the "share" icon is omitted (pretty severe forgetfulness in a device that already is missing several important communication functions - OTG, SD-Card).

I noticed only earlier that Android 6 has a filesystem browser in the Settings, Internal Storage > Explore.

EDIT: I start mentioning Amaze, which Sogaiu indicates here. Some info states: open-source; frequently used folders; bookmark folders; supports FTP and SMB; app management; compressed archives management; encryption features; search. I have not tried it, but this list looks very convincing.

EDIT2: I would like to see, as I am often choking on that in Android, something that does not abbreviate filenames on a single line - I very often lose almost all of the crucial information on filenames (e.g.: 'This Organization - Some Collection - Joh ... x8ckA4somehash.file') on shipped file managers. "Two lines", a civilization breakthrough.

Last edited by mdp; 11-01-2018 at 03:48 PM.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 08:01 AM   #2
leojab
leojab began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2
I use Xplore android app which is a excellent file manager since Nokia Symbian days
leojab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 11:11 AM   #3
bsnick
Zealot
bsnick began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx M96+, T68+, Max2, YP2, HiSense A2 Pro
I keep jumping around as none really scratched the itch.

X-plore: not exactly dual-pane since you have to swipe left & right to 'reveal' the second pane, legible on e-ink, seems pretty full-featured but it's been awhile since I've used it. Samba & ftp built-in, probably a couple others. Free

Ghost Commander: Both panels show on the same screen, looks like Midnight Commander and the buttons on the bottom have numbers on them, suggesting that you could invoke them with a keyboard. Legible on e-ink. Built-in editor & archive explorer. Not sure about built-in video/music/pdf. Has plug-ins for samba, sftp, ftp, gdrive (?), dropbox (?). Not absolutely sure which it has of the last two. I think both & webdav. Available on F-Droid as well as google's store. Free

FreeCommander: Been awhile but I remember liking it. Can't recall if the dual-pane was like xplore or ghost commander. At any rate, seems to have the same functionality, some of them through plug-ins. Free (?)

ES file explorer: Built-in everything, not a dual-pane though it has seemingly unlimited 'window' that it remembers (slide from one side to open a list of currently open ones). Has a clipboard you can access by sliding from the side opposite the windows. Built-in samba/ftp/etc as well as its own music/video player, editor, archive management. Has ads in the free app and they make other products like 'cleaners' so they push those a bit

MKC: Not well known, but seems to have lots of info available, though not necessarily shown on the screen. Colorful so you'll want to customize that to make it more legible on eink. Seems very customizable otherwise as well (size of buttons, separators, icons, what to display, etc). You start with one screen like ES & xplore where you swipe to the 2nd. Can be changed to show 2 panels on the same screen. Not sure about the 'extras' (music/movies/archives). I keep meaning to explore this one but all the others distract me.
bsnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 02:54 PM   #4
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
The list should start with or include ReLaunchX, specifically made for eink https://f-droid.org/en/packages/com.gacode.relaunchx/
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 04:23 PM   #5
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
I've been very happy with FX File Explorer. I really like that you can have it open in Split View. It can make copying/moving files from one location to another very easy without having to navigate one's way back through various folders.

Previously, I had used ES Explorer on a number of my Android devices. However, I soured on it because of all the bloatware it included, and also because it was always running in the background, even after I had force stopped it. I'm rather suspicious of apps which do that.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 06:09 PM   #6
whopper
Addict
whopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Boox max 2
solid explorer

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...solidexplorer2
whopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 11:20 AM   #7
sogaiu
Addict
sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobama View Post
The list should start with or include ReLaunchX, specifically made for eink https://f-droid.org/en/packages/com.gacode.relaunchx/
For navigating to pdfs, epubs, etc., this is what I tend to use these days.
sogaiu is offline   Reply With Quote