Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 08-15-2018, 02:31 AM   #586
aruangra
Connoisseur
aruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nook Touch, iPad1, iPad2, iPod Touch 4G, Pixel Qi
Quote:
Originally Posted by cicabum View Post
Now it works for me as well! :-)

Just a question: how can I force bVNC to show my desktop screen in full screen mode on my Onyx Note? bVNC shows my desktop screen smaller

Tapping anywhere on the screen will show the menu icon on the right side of the screen. Touch the rightmost icon ":" to get the option for the zoomable view.
aruangra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 04:24 AM   #587
cicabum
Addict
cicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud of

Device: Onyx Note3, Nova3, Hisense A5, Hisense Q5, Dasung Paperlike Pro-f
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
The menu button is supposed to show a menu with options including the scaling ones. If you do not have a menu button
-- there should be alternative ways to summon the menu, like long-tap or ghosted overlaid icons
-- inform Onyx that a device with one button and a half is impractical instead of efficacious, toyish instead of professional, a joke instead of a serious proposal.
cicabum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 04:25 AM   #588
cicabum
Addict
cicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by aruangra View Post
Tapping anywhere on the screen will show the menu icon on the right side of the screen. Touch the rightmost icon ":" to get the option for the zoomable view.
Old 08-24-2018, 08:37 PM   #589
cicabum
Addict

I've created 2 batch files to connect easily my Onyx Note by usb cable and adb.

The first file is:

Code:
@echo off
cd /d C:\adb\platform-tools\
ChangeScreenResolution.exe /w=800 /h=600 /f=60 /b=32 /d=0
adb reverse tcp:5900 tcp:5900
The second one is:

Code:
@echo off
cd /d C:\adb\platform-tools\
ChangeScreenResolution.exe /w=1600 /h=900 /f=60 /b=32 /d=0
The second file just restores the default resolution of my laptop (1600x900). I've download this small app to change easily the resolution of the screen and I moved it in the adb folder. When I want to use my Onyx Note as external screen I connect the usb cable and I click the first file. In this way on Onyx Note I have just to open bVNC and click "Connect". I just wanted to share what I've learned :-)
Old 09-20-2018, 05:11 PM   #590
square-eyes
square-eyes began at the beginning.

Device: boox
Hello, I am having trouble setting screen resolution using MAX2 with HDMI port on Linux mint laptop.

When I plug it in and run the monitor app it works but the only screen resolution available is 2104 X 1506. Such tiny icons and text is causing eye strain defeating the purpose of e-ink.
I wish to use 1024 X 768 (or 1152X864) so that the text is big enough to read.

Using windows 7 on the same computer I can switch to 1024X768 in the control panel and it works so I assume it must be possible to make it work also in linux?

I have tried the following:

sudo cvt 1024 768

1600x900 59.95 Hz (CVT 1.44M9) hsync: 55.99 kHz; pclk: 118.25 MHz

Modeline "1024x768_75.00" 82.00 1024 1088 1192 1360 768 771 775 805 -hsync +vsync

xrandr --newmode "1024x768_75.00" 82.00 1024 1088 1192 1360 768 771 775 805 -hsync +vsync

xrandr --addmode HDMI-1 "1024x768_75.00"

after which the 1024 X 768 option appear in the display preferences drop down. however when I choose this setting the BOOX monitior freezes the display. If I exit the monitor app and try again I just get a black screen.

I also tried typing in

xrandr --output HDMI-1 --mode 1024x768_75.00

but still no luck. I do not have much knowledge of linux so please could someone guide me how to change to a lower resolution.

Thanks
square-eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 01:28 AM   #591
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by square-eyes View Post
Hello, I am having trouble setting screen resolution using MAX2 with HDMI port on Linux mint laptop.

When I plug it in and run the monitor app it works but the only screen resolution available is 2104 X 1506. Such tiny icons and text is causing eye strain defeating the purpose of e-ink
Should not you instead increase the DPI setting?
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 02:50 PM   #592
eReader fan
Addict
eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: Onyx Nova pro and Hisense A2 pro
Could it be possible to connect a Wifi antenna via usb on the Onyx? I want to be able to reproduce video on the Onyx N96ML while I am connected through VNC via WIFI, but to do that I need the antenna to be able to achieve the 5Ghz, because with 2'4Ghz there are lagging problems.

What do you think?
eReader fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 06:29 PM   #593
eReader fan
Addict
eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: Onyx Nova pro and Hisense A2 pro
(Message duplicated. Sorry.)

Last edited by eReader fan; 09-25-2018 at 09:05 PM.
eReader fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 01:36 AM   #594
Dimos
Enthusiast
Dimos has a spectacular aura aboutDimos has a spectacular aura aboutDimos has a spectacular aura aboutDimos has a spectacular aura aboutDimos has a spectacular aura aboutDimos has a spectacular aura aboutDimos has a spectacular aura aboutDimos has a spectacular aura aboutDimos has a spectacular aura aboutDimos has a spectacular aura aboutDimos has a spectacular aura about

Device: Boyue likebook
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2new View Post
I was going to buy an onyx note to use as a desktop display, however, I remembered I had an old tablet called Notion Ink Adam. I ripped out the pixel qi screen, plugged it into a video controller board, disconnected backlight power, plugged 12v to USB and hdmi to laptop hdmi, and now I have a small monitor that doesn't hurt my eyes. You can buy the LCD on eBay for about 110 and video controller plus USB to 12v for about 35.

This is all plug and play and the route I chose instead of streaming to an eink tablet. I like the fact it's also batteryless, I could buy a battery pack and mini computer for mobility.

A similar setup should work for clearink displays if they come to fruition.

Just my thoughts.
Hi, where can i find the controller board ?
Dimos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 08:54 PM   #595
Dimos
Enthusiast
Dimos has a spectacular aura aboutDimos has a spectacular aura aboutDimos has a spectacular aura aboutDimos has a spectacular aura aboutDimos has a spectacular aura aboutDimos has a spectacular aura aboutDimos has a spectacular aura aboutDimos has a spectacular aura aboutDimos has a spectacular aura aboutDimos has a spectacular aura aboutDimos has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
On Linux, you may want to start like this:

* give yourself a reasonable 4:3 resolution, and maybe the desired screen orientation, such as FOR EXAMPLE:
Code:
xrandr  --output DVI-I-1  --mode 1600x1200 --rate 60.00  --rotate left
### or
xrandr  --output DVI-I-1  --mode 1280x960 --rate 60.00  --rotate normal
* You could choke your network data rate on the interface bridging you to the tablet to make the USB networking more stable, such as
Code:
wondershaper enp0s29f7u6 4000 4000
That horrid "enp0s29f7u6" is my interface name, I hope yours is nicer. The numbers there are 4kb/s as a limit for both upload and download. Note: as implicit, this may not be useful in case of a Wi-Fi or a BlueTooth connection.

* Then, supposing you have started the USB networking on the tablet (I assume you have my software application or my instructions), set-up the networking side,
Code:
ifconfig enp0s29f7u6 192.168.22.1  ;  ping  -c 3  192.168.22.2
For Wi-Fi or BT, you'll probably manage networking automatically or differently.

* So you can now start the VNC server; you can try, for example, as your normal user:
Code:
x11vnc  -noipv6 -allow 192.168.22.2  -forever  -speeds lan  -noxdamage
* On the tablet, you will have bVNC, I suggest you use Iordan's last version or the one I modified and published here last. Flag:
-- in the main app screen, in the menu, tick "Force Landscape Orientation" if this is the case;
-- in the list of the "Show Advanced Settings", tick "Local mouse pointer" to have the mouse move a bit faster;
-- in the menu of the working VNC connection, specify that you want a "Fit to screen" visualization.

If anybody finds a better working configuration, please post it.
For example, the '-noxdamage' parameter for `x11vnc` seems to me to mirror the changes sooner, but it may be just a wrong impression. I have not tested all possible solutions.
Hi do you know if this works with boyue likebook plus ? I assign an ip to my pc but then i cant connect with bvnc... I have ubuntu

Last edited by Dimos; 11-19-2018 at 08:57 PM.
Old 11-20-2018, 04:05 AM   #596
franzli
Addict
franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Onyx Boox T68 Plus
The main issue would probably be the lack of root on the Likebook Mars. I seem to remember that mdp's app requires root access?
So the usb-connected Ethernet is probably not an easy option at the moment, you should be able to use the WiFi connection in the same way though, you'll just have to deal with the higher power consumption.

The lack of root, by the way, is my single biggest gripe about the Likebook, otherwise quite happy with it. Going to look into using it as a vnc screen soon myself. Also have a Boox Note though, which will probably be more comfortable space-wise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimos View Post
Hi do you know if this works with boyue likebook plus ? I assign an ip to my pc but then i cant connect with bvnc... I have ubuntu
franzli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 05:36 AM   #597
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franzli View Post
The main issue would probably be the lack of root on the Likebook Mars. I seem to remember that mdp's app requires root access?
So the usb-connected Ethernet is probably not an easy option at the moment, you should be able to use the WiFi connection in the same way though, you'll just have to deal with the higher power consumption [And faint speed? MDP]
In order to issue networking commands on Android you need root access, but we are past it: use `adb reverse` to achieve the networking! (see previous pages, 38-39). For the skimmers: you do not need root privileges to enable networking through `adb reverse`.
And, use USB, really, not wireless. You need performance...

Quote:
Originally Posted by franzli View Post
The lack of root, by the way, is my single biggest gripe about the Likebook, otherwise quite happy with it
How can you operate without keys? I navigate the web etc., cannot scroll properly with touch, get irritated...

Last edited by mdp; 11-20-2018 at 05:40 AM.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:20 AM   #598
Dimos
Enthusiast

Quote:
In order to issue networking commands on Android you need root access, but we are past it: use `adb reverse` to achieve the networking! (see previous pages, 38-39). For the skimmers: you do not need root privileges to enable networking through `adb reverse`.
And, use USB, really, not wireless. You need performance...

How can you operate without keys? I navigate the web etc., cannot scroll properly with touch, get irritated...
I have root.. I have likebook plus not mars and because it has android 4.2 i can't run adb reverse
Old 11-20-2018, 11:10 AM   #599
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
I assign an ip to my pc but then i cant connect with bvnc
Quote:
I have root.. I have likebook plus not mars and because it has android 4.2 i can't run adb reverse
Ok Dimos,
I understand you must try to get a network connection between tablet and surface(desk|lap)top.
(You made a holey leap between "an ip to my pc" and "bvnc".)
Both sides need an IP, such as 192.168.22.1 and 192.168.22.2. Connect them through the USB cable, follow the commands I published in this thread pages ago - check my inputs on page 7 (have you installed a terminal on Android? Or, have you used the software I posted there?) If you directly type commands you just have to issue the two `ifconfig` on both ends, probably also enabling "rndis" (usb networking) mode on Android. Verify connection through `ping`, as is normal.
Then, after you are surely connected, use further software (x11vnc, bvnc etc.).
Old 11-20-2018, 02:45 PM   #600
Dimos
Enthusiast

Quote:
Ok Dimos,
I understand you must try to get a network connection between tablet and surface(desk|lap)top.
(You made a holey leap between "an ip to my pc" and "bvnc".)
Both sides need an IP, such as 192.168.22.1 and 192.168.22.2. Connect them through the USB cable, follow the commands I published in this thread pages ago - check my inputs on page 7 (have you installed a terminal on Android? Or, have you used the software I posted there?) If you directly type commands you just have to issue the two `ifconfig` on both ends, probably also enabling "rndis" (usb networking) mode on Android. Verify connection through `ping`, as is normal.
Then, after you are surely connected, use further software (x11vnc, bvnc etc.).
Hi, i can ping my tablet from my pc but i can not ping my pc from my tablet something is blocking my connection and i don't have a firewall (i am using usbnetwork)

Last edited by Dimos; 11-20-2018 at 02:53 PM.