Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Windows Devices

Notices

Old 08-05-2015, 01:20 PM   #61
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
well it's a mess then, as that page says:
The latest version of the Kindle for PC app can be used on any computer running Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 or 8.1, or Windows 10 in Desktop Mode.
so it is clearly intended to link to the desktop version. if it doesn't them amazon have screwed up.

I'd go one step better than saving the correct link and save the actual .exe desktop installer for future use.

but actually - i am finding that the link
https://www.amazon.co.uk/kindleforpc
leads to a choice of : download app from store ( that will be the metro version) or "enter your email " for amazon to send you the download link.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/digital/...ort_kindleapps

( which is the merry go round I recall riding some months back) . if you open that email , once received, on a win 7 PC, and click the link it contains what do you get then ?
I ( a few months back) got the desktop installer...
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 02:58 PM   #62
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Well....
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2015, 03:45 PM   #63
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
The latest version of the Kindle for PC app can be used on any computer running Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 or 8.1, or Windows 10 in Desktop Mode.
so it is clearly intended to link to the desktop version. if it doesn't them amazon have screwed up.

I'd go one step better than saving the correct link and save the actual .exe desktop installer for future use.

leads to a choice of : download app from store ( that will be the metro version) or "enter your email " for amazon to send you the download link.

( which is the merry go round I recall riding some months back) . if you open that email , once received, on a win 7 PC, and click the link it contains what do you get then ?
I saved the .exe installer. I tested it tonight and it works perfectly. I've kept the app installed as well just in case Amazon ever update it to be a proper app.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 11:57 PM   #64
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Well....
You missed 2.... ME & 8.1
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 12:31 PM   #65
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
You missed 2.... ME & 8.1
3.1 Windows for Workgroups and 98SE might count as separate versions, as well.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2015, 12:34 PM   #66
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
3.1 Windows for Workgroups and 98SE might count as separate versions, as well.
So really what we must realize then is that there really are an infinite number of versions between 1 and 10.
Old 08-06-2015, 12:35 PM   #67
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
So really what we must realize then is that there really are an infinite number of versions between 1 and 10.
That would be correct! :chin scratch:

BTW, I should have called it just 3.1 which started that new branch of Windows... as Windows for Workgroups was technically some added functionality...

Oh well.
Old 08-06-2015, 05:55 PM   #68
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:

BTW, I should have called it just 3.1 which started that new branch of Windows... as Windows for Workgroups was technically some added functionality...

Oh well.
Also, "Windows" died a well deserved death with ME. What survives today is MS's fork of OS2 (when they split up the deal with IBM to cross develop both DOS and OS2) which they called Windows NT and began with v3.

There was a 3.2 and 3.5 and then 4.0, which is likely the "NT" listed in the picture. MS then did a major rev. and released v5.0 as Windows 2000 and then its "dot release" version 5.1, marketed as Windows XP. They then reved the core build to 6.0 (aka Vista) and proceeded with "dot releases" as 6.1 (Windows 7), 6.2 (Windows 8.0), 6.3 (Windows 8.1 which was really Windows 9) and now 6.4 (aka Windows 10). No wonder Johnny can't read...or count.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 05:58 PM   #69
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:

Oh well.
I would have called Windows 3.1 the very first version that worked!

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 01:34 AM   #70
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Sorry to be a downer But I need to ask.... How can I get my games to work with Win 10! When I install them they are so Huge they Off the Monitor! & my Mouse Pointer Vanishes! They are Pop Games ... others like Jewel Quest, etc. PC HP Desktop

My son got his to work so I thought I try it again! Windows 10 is a PAIN!
Son plays different games from me ...so hes no help!

Last edited by Barbara1955; 08-07-2015 at 07:12 PM.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 11:48 AM   #71
Anthem
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I would have called Windows 3.1 the very first version that worked!

Dale
3.1 is the first version that actually at least felt like it worked properly. Before 3.1, I had only used Macs and DOS based systems... so... I thought 95 and particularly 98 SE were superb, at the time. 2000 was great as well. I STILL preferred Mac OS but I did have a lot of fun with those versions of Windows.
Old 09-18-2015, 11:51 AM   #72
Lima Bean
Groupie
Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I converted from Windows 7 to 10 last weekend. Everything looked okay until I noticed my anti-virus software wasn't working. The icon was there, but it would open up. I spent half the day with tech support before the problem was fixed. I'm wondering what else I will discover that didn't survive the conversion.
Lima Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 12:04 PM   #73
kennyc

There are issues with Norton. I hate it anyway and just removed it. Using the built in windows defender with no issues so far.
Old 09-18-2015, 12:32 PM   #74
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lima Bean View Post
I converted from Windows 7 to 10 last weekend. Everything looked okay until I noticed my anti-virus software wasn't working. The icon was there, but it would open up. I spent half the day with tech support before the problem was fixed. I'm wondering what else I will discover that didn't survive the conversion.
Quote:
There are issues with Norton. I hate it anyway and just removed it. Using the built in windows defender with no issues so far.
I'm with you there - bloatware that has a negative performance impact. I use ESET which is fully W10-ready and I have never had a problem with it.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 02:05 PM   #75
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post

This is a link to the K4PC in the UK.

Link for the U.S.

I have bookmarked the link, the merry-go-round of the email and link is not what I call up to Amazon standards of customer service.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote