Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-12-2018, 09:44 AM   #106
kcladyz
Member Retired
kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, PW4, KOBO H2O and Aura One E2, zenpad, ipad pro, Kindle fires
Finally day 5 only 2 books left indexing. Lordy lol.
kcladyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 10:39 AM   #107
tomsem
Wizard
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air 2, Fire HD8 (2017)
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Just curiuous but if you disable the touchscreeen how do you do anything with the PW4?
All it lets you do is swipe to turn pages. You have to push the power button twice (off and back on) to restore full touch functionality.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2018, 11:54 AM   #108
kcladyz
Member Retired
kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, PW4, KOBO H2O and Aura One E2, zenpad, ipad pro, Kindle fires
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtan123 View Post
Hmm I think its a matter of personal preference and the type of lighting everyone individually has. I used to read off my phone before the switch to kindle and therefore have been very used to what you described as reading from a "visibly shining" screen.

I find it impossible to read at level 10 unless it is dark around me. I try to keep light as low as I can tolerate which is usually 12 to 14 depending on device and lighting in the room im in
kcladyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 12:47 PM   #109
cgsmom
Connoisseur
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus, Kindle PW4, iPhone 7, iPad Air 2, NST
I have been following this thread because I am in the market for a new ereader. My Voyage just died after 20 months and I have been a little bummed about it. However, as I am setting here reading on my iPad (without page turn buttons) I realize that I just need to get over it and get a new reader. I can get a refurbished Voyage for $139 or a new Paperwhite for $129. The trade-in value for my Voyage is $5.00 according to Amazon. But the trade-in page says that they will give me 25% off of a new reader plus my trade-in value. Is that right? Add to that 6 months of KU and I think it is probably the best deal available to me right now. So far I am not seeing anyone saying anything bad about the new Paperwhite. It would be nice if the new Paperwhite would fit in my Voyage cover, but that would be too much to ask. LOL Advice welcome.
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 01:14 PM   #110
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgsmom View Post
I have been following this thread because I am in the market for a new ereader. My Voyage just died after 20 months and I have been a little bummed about it. However, as I am setting here reading on my iPad (without page turn buttons) I realize that I just need to get over it and get a new reader. I can get a refurbished Voyage for $139 or a new Paperwhite for $129. The trade-in value for my Voyage is $5.00 according to Amazon. But the trade-in page says that they will give me 25% off of a new reader plus my trade-in value. Is that right? Add to that 6 months of KU and I think it is probably the best deal available to me right now. So far I am not seeing anyone saying anything bad about the new Paperwhite. It would be nice if the new Paperwhite would fit in my Voyage cover, but that would be too much to ask. LOL Advice welcome.
It depends on what is more important to you, haptic page-press buttons (get the Voyage) or more storage and/or waterproofing (get the new Paperwhite). I doubt there's much difference between them in all the other aspects.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2018, 01:21 PM   #111
j.p.s
Wizard
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
It depends on what is more important to you, haptic page-press buttons (get the Voyage) or more storage and/or waterproofing (get the new Paperwhite). I doubt there's much difference between them in all the other aspects.
The PW4 has a 20% larger battery, but most people think the Voyage battery life is OK, but maybe it is a sign that amazon is backing off the trend of shrinking batteries started with the 7" Oasis.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 01:29 PM   #112
Shad Plante
Groupie
Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 6th Gen Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Looking online, the new Paperwhite is larger than the Voyage:

Voyage: 6.4" x 4.5" x 0.30"
new Paperwhite: 6.6" x 4.6" x 0.32"

Therefore, I doubt the Voyage case will fit.
Shad Plante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 01:55 PM   #113
harriska2
Addict
harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, iPad Pro
Quote:
I have an old fire I’d like to trade in but they only allow you to trade in the fire for a newer fire, not eink kindle. That said, I can trade in my very nice pw first gen with super working battery and get the newest pw for only $72. That is actually not a horrible deal. Is Amazon good at agreeing to pay the valued price ($25 for mine)? - and not saying “hey, we think it’s only worth $15” once you’ve already sent it in.
harriska2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 02:19 PM   #114
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileJanie View Post
Anyway, there's only one of me, why would I need a fifth Kindle?
How can anyone get by with only 5 Kindles?

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 02:26 PM   #115
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, iPad 9.7, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by harriska2 View Post
I have an old fire I’d like to trade in but they only allow you to trade in the fire for a newer fire, not eink kindle. That said, I can trade in my very nice pw first gen with super working battery and get the newest pw for only $72. That is actually not a horrible deal. Is Amazon good at agreeing to pay the valued price ($25 for mine)? - and not saying “hey, we think it’s only worth $15” once you’ve already sent it in.
From what I can tell, there are only two trade-in values: $5 non-working and $25 working.

Got $25 for my PW2 with perfect display but minor scuffs (normal wear and tear) on the chassis.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 02:55 PM   #116
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks, Kindles, Sonys, Kobos, Tolinos and others.
Quote:
I have been following this thread because I am in the market for a new ereader. My Voyage just died after 20 months and I have been a little bummed about it. However, as I am setting here reading on my iPad (without page turn buttons) I realize that I just need to get over it and get a new reader. I can get a refurbished Voyage for $139 or a new Paperwhite for $129. ...
Amazon also has some Voyages in Good or Very Good condition, selling for $99 and $105 — sold via "Amazon Warehouse." These also come with free, two day shipping.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...y_technology=0

On this page they also say that new Voyages will be available on November 25th, available for pre-order now.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 03:34 PM   #117
Kolja
Zealot
Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post

On this page they also say that new Voyages will be available on November 25th, available for pre-order now.
Thank you very much for this information! I just pre-ordered one. None of the newer e-readers can replace the Voyage for me. It has the best screen regarding clarity and contrast and the best size (in my opinion).
Kolja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 03:46 PM   #118
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks, Kindles, Sonys, Kobos, Tolinos and others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolja View Post
Thank you very much for this information! I just pre-ordered one. None of the newer e-readers can replace the Voyage for me. It has the best screen regarding clarity and contrast and the best size (in my opinion).
I don't know how much longer they'll keep finding more Voyages, but sooner or later they'll disappear completely (I'm afraid). Meanwhile, if anyone is looking for one, just do a Google search for "Kindle Voyage" and then look at "Other Sellers" (they'll often disappear in Amazon searches). What's funny is that the $199 new ones just showed up AFTER I originally posted the link for the used ones. So Kindle Voyage availability is definitely in constant flux.

EDIT: And now the new ones have disappeared again. Unless you want one with cellular connectivity.

And now the International Version (without special offers) is available here ...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...&condition=new

(I don't know what "International Version" means.)

Last edited by rcentros; 11-12-2018 at 03:52 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 03:46 PM   #119
Wearever
Guru
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Quote:
That's really the same for me, I love my Voyage because of the haptic buttons. Thankfully I have no problem reading on a 6 inch screen. I think either way Paperwhite 4 or Voyage are great choices . The differences only matter if you want to use audio books and that's when the extra storage really counts. Water proofing is nice too. Good Luck with your choice !
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 05:12 PM   #120
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, PW4, Galaxy Tab A 10.1 (SP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
Yeah, I'm thinking Amazon isn't allowing them in yet or something. There's no way no one would have posted an Amazon review by now, I'd be pretty surprised if that were the case.
They must have unlocked it for reviews today because they finally started showing up on the product page.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote