Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-05-2016, 12:52 PM   #1
Volfer
Volfer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindles-Paperwhites, Touch, Keyboard, Androids, Dell Venue 8 Pro W.8.1
Calibre:Book Cover size in Book Details side pane & Edit Metadata Individually window

This is the first post I've made to MobileRead and I hope I'm doing it correctly. I have not been able to find this topic in searching. The information I've received on this forum has helped me tremendously and I thank all of you. Perhaps someday I will also be able to help other members.

The display size of the book cover in Book Details pane when shown at side or bottom of the main Calibre page and in the Edit Metadata Individually page, is so large, taking up the major portion of the space available.

While I do want to see the book cover in these views, I would like them to display at a minimal size in the various Calibre windows, which would leave more room for the comments to be displayed.

In the Edit Metadata Individually page, by simply dragging the invisible dividing lines between the sections, I can resize the book cover to be very small, and also adjust the widths of the Details and Comments section sizes as I prefer, but once I close the Edit page, it will revert to the defaults upon reopening, which is about a third of the overall page width for each section. Can these default settings be changed?

In the Book Details window, when shown to the right or the bottom of the main Calibre page, the size of the book cover is always a very large percentage of the area and cannot be adjusted. I'd like to make the book cover very small to allow the largest amount of the space for the Comments information to display. I am not referring to actually opening the Show Book Details window, only the Book Details when shown to the side or bottom of the main Calibre page. In Preferences-Book Details I can choose to not show the book cover at all, but I find it a useful part of the whole "book picture" and don't want to completely eliminate it from this view, rather like to make it display very small, leaving more space for the comments.

It seems to me that with all the flexibility in customizing the various display windows, this is probably possible to do, but that I just haven't been able to figure out how to do it. Does anyone know if these things can be accomplished?
Volfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 12:58 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You cannot control the book details panel cover size, but you can choose not to show the cover there (Preferences->Look & Feel->Book details)

And use one of the alternate layouts for the edit metadata dialog (Preferences->Behavior) one has a smaller cover size and one puts the cover on a separate tab altogether.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2016, 01:22 PM   #3
Volfer

Thank you Kovid. I will look for the alternate layouts for the edit metadata window.

And, thank you for Calibre! What a wonderful program you've developed and I will continue to support your efforts.
Old 01-05-2016, 01:56 PM   #4
Volfer

After looking at the alternate layouts for edit metadata, I still prefer the default format after I've adjusted the sizes.

No matter how you might try Kovid, you would never be able to completely satisfy the unending wish lists of all of us who want to have ultimate control of the sizes of our windows! I suspect that your Calibre program is particularly attractive to the controller types of people. I bet that you've had nightmares of a Calibre with 5,502 alternate layouts and options swirling in your mind! Thank you for keeping a cool head as you receive all of our "suggestions" for your beautiful program!

Tags
book cover size, book details, edit metadata window