Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-05-2019, 09:56 AM   #46
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Ditto to almost everything already said. I’ll just add how physically liberating ereaders are. I now find managing a physical book cumbersome and uncomfortable. I just prop up the ereader on a cushion, leaving my arms, hands and fingers free to stretch, to sip coffee, or to tuck under a blanket when it’s cold etc. On so many levels, ereaders = freedom.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 10:11 AM   #47
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Unfortunately, I remember buying new books for less than that.
Apache
It would only be unfortunate if you had bought them and could no longer remember.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 03:54 PM   #48
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
It would only be unfortunate if you had bought them and could no longer remember.
That is coming.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 05:43 PM   #49
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
I think if you love reading, you will read regardless of whether it is ebook or print. I grew up before smartphones, before e-readers, before tablets. I simply carted whatever book I was reading about with me, and a spare book (or 2 or 3) in my bag or car.

That said, as my eyes no longer like small print, e-ink readers continue to allow me to read and of course, no heavy stacks of books to carry! When I was a kid, I sometimes came out of the library with an armful so high I couldn't easily see around them.

So I won't say I read more, but it's certainly easier!

Hope your new e-ink reader will be everything you are dreaming of! Enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 11:00 PM   #50
Anabana
Zealot
Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Fire 7" & 10"; 11"(?)-12" Lenovo laptop
"I think if you love reading, you will read regardless of whether it is ebook or print." This!
I first bought an ereader (Aluratek Libre Pro) in 2010 - it's a basic model - no wifi & no light. It's still going strong today & still has excellent battery life. I've added (ahem) a 'few' more to that one, but it's my rough-&-tumble choice for camping, hiking, etc.. My little paperwhite Kindle lives in my purse and definitely gets the most use these days - easy to hold, easy to read, blah, blah. I had something over 3000 DT books before 2010, and still have somewhere between 400-600. Slowly weeding out as I replace them with ebooks and continue to downsize. I still probably re-read more than I read 1st time.. The other wonderful thing about eReaders? Audiobooks!! Now that there is only me, I love, love, having an audiobook going when taking long trips. Especially when driving, but a 4+ hr flight is greatly enhanced with a set of headphones and a Really Good Book. I'd suggest going somewhere (like Best Buy?) which has lots of models you can hold; see what's comfortable. I've learned that I like to have a light(Nook Glow, Kindle Paperwhite, etc) and audio, small enough to hold easily, big enough to read easily..
Whatever you decide, ENJOY!
Anabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 02:28 PM   #51
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I started ebook reading with one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Casio-Cassiop.../dp/B00004VWM5 and I can't remember when it was, maybe late 1990s or early 2000s.

Microsoft was, at the time, giving freebie .lit books every so often so I got myself quite a collection. I was working nights at the time and not carting several books with me to work was just wonderful. I was still reading dead tree books at home.

I moved on to reading on my 2007 iphone eventually, and have pretty much stayed with iphone ever since. The small screen didnt bother me and it was a lot easier to manage a cat that wanted to sit on your book, if you didnt have one I eventually bought a Sony reader, then a Kobo, then a Paperwhite, and I still revert to the phone. However, my eyes are beginning to betray me and I think I'll be hitting the e-ink readers very soon.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 03:17 PM   #52
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
...and it was a lot easier to manage a cat that wanted to sit on your book, if you didnt have one
Tell that to my cat. When I try to read in bed, she manages to walk in front of my reader no matter which hand I hold it in.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 04:12 PM   #53
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Tell that to my cat. When I try to read in bed, she manages to walk in front of my reader no matter which hand I hold it in.
HA! I turn out the lights and the current kitty knows that means its sleep time for him. He's really good. It was the previous kitty who used to sit... what he was wanting to do was snuggle and I could not get into a proper reading position with a DT book. Much easier with a small screen phone Ereader... havent really tried reading with one whilst in bed, must do so. Or stop reading in bed. (HORRORS)
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 04:17 PM   #54
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
That seems to be the default behavior for all lap cats that I've had over the years. The problem is that you are holding a reader rather than petting them with that hand.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 04:51 PM   #55
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
One thing I love about ebooks is how quickly you can be reading a new one compared to pbooks. I mean assuming there is no download problem you can find, purchase, download and start reading one in under 2 minutes. Something that isn't likely to be matched with a pbook title. If I were to buy a pbook at say Amazon it would still take at least a matter of days for it to arrive via the mail. I much prefer to start asap when I want something new to read.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 09:47 PM   #56
blue_skies
Evangelist
blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue T62+; Boyue Mimas; and my old Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
I started ebook reading with one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Casio-Cassiop.../dp/B00004VWM5 and I can't remember when it was, maybe late 1990s or early 2000s.
Thanks for posting that! I never saw one of those, but I bought one of these Casiowriters - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxpKqxkdrAA - back in the mid 1980s. It was so ahead of its time. You can't really tell by the demo video, but it had memory so you could type a document (or a college paper) and use the little screen to edit any mistakes before printing it. It used thermal paper to print, so you could print multiple copies. ETA: I think this was the model I had, which was surprisingly lightweight - https://www.ebay.ca/itm/VINTAGE-CASI...-/223096097032

I bet if Casio was still around and producing eReaders we would have some really cool devices.

Last edited by blue_skies; 03-26-2019 at 12:37 PM.
blue_skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 02:34 PM   #57
fictions
fictions began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
When I bought my first e-reader, I too was hoping to spend less time on my smartphone mindlessly scrolling through social media feeds and get more reading done. I had also just become a new mother and found myself in a position where I would put my baby to sleep and needed to stay with her in a darkened bedroom and I couldn't keep any lights on to read. I started to read e-books on my phone to see if I liked it and found that I finished more books than before, but my eyes didn't like the glare from the phone so I caved and got myself an e-ink reader, even though I used to be one of those paper books snobs. I initially thought I would only use the e-reader when putting my daughter to sleep but have found myself reaching more and more for it rather than lugging heavy books around. The benefits have been massive, I read more than before (I'd say I read a book a week now, rather than one every two weeks like before) and I also read during any spare minutes that I got. Rather than pulling out my smartphone while waiting for the bus or in the queue at the supermarket, I pull out my e-reader and read instead. I spend much less time on my phone, read more than before and am now at a point where I far prefer to get the e-book version of a book rather than a paper copy

I wish you and your new e-reader a new and happy life together!
fictions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 03:30 PM   #58
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_skies View Post
Thanks for posting that! I never saw one of those, but I bought one of these Casiowriters - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxpKqxkdrAA - back in the mid 1980s. It was so ahead of its time. You can't really tell by the demo video, but it had memory so you could type a document (or a college paper) and use the little screen to edit any mistakes before printing it. It used thermal paper to print, so you could print multiple copies. ETA: I think this was the model I had, which was surprisingly lightweight - https://www.ebay.ca/itm/VINTAGE-CASI...-/223096097032

I bet if Casio was still around and producing eReaders we would have some really cool devices.
Casio is still around. They just don't make eReaders. They do make phones, so you could say the do make Ereaders.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 03:53 PM   #59
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Casio also makes watches. As far as the "gadget watch" market, I would say they are in a class by themselves. (I currently plan to buy one of their WaveCeptor models.)
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 03:58 PM   #60
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
One thing I love about ebooks is how quickly you can be reading a new one compared to pbooks. I mean assuming there is no download problem you can find, purchase, download and start reading one in under 2 minutes. Something that isn't likely to be matched with a pbook title. If I were to buy a pbook at say Amazon it would still take at least a matter of days for it to arrive via the mail. I much prefer to start asap when I want something new to read.
Yes - this is great.
And I love that I can go to the library and check out a book in the middle of the night.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote