Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-30-2017, 02:10 PM   #46
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
As mentioned, Google is your friend. These lawsuits are easy enough to find:

Minnesota woman to pay $220,000 fine for 24 illegally downloaded songs

12-year-old settles music swap lawsuit

And there's this: After an Internet subscriber's identity is discovered, but before an individual lawsuit is filed, the subscriber is typically offered an opportunity to settle. The standard settlement is a payment to the RIAA and an agreement not to engage in file-sharing of music and is usually on par with statutory damages of $750 per work, with the RIAA choosing the number of works it deems "reasonable." For cases that do not settle at this amount, the RIAA has gone to trial, seeking statutory damages from the jury, written into The Digital Theft Deterrence and Copyright Damages Improvement Act of 1999 as between $750 and $30,000 per work or $750 and $150,000 per work if "willful."

These are of course old stories since my point was that even though industry groups have sued individual pirates, and won, the backlash was so great that it is a rarity nowadays.
Hi Zod, you google very well. Do you do dishes as well?
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 02:14 PM   #47
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Hi Zod, you google very well. Do you do dishes as well?
I actually don't mind dishes. I'd enjoy being a house husband. My slave-driving better half has different opinions
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 12:30 PM   #48
carpler
carpler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
This thread is quite old, but I can not find the answer to the initial question anywhere.
There is something new that can be added to this question?
carpler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 01:25 PM   #49
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpler View Post
TThere is something new that can be added to this question?
I don't believe that anything significant has changed since this thread was last active.

As far as I know the commonly used DRM removal tools do not make any attempt to remove anything other than the actual DRM. Whether or not e-books contain personally identifiable information is a separate question that applies whether or not DRM is involved.

It is safest to honor copyright.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 09:59 AM   #50
carpler
carpler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I don't believe that anything significant has changed since this thread was last active.

As far as I know the commonly used DRM removal tools do not make any attempt to remove anything other than the actual DRM. Whether or not e-books contain personally identifiable information is a separate question that applies whether or not DRM is involved.

It is safest to honor copyright.
Thank you for your answer.
You say:
"Whether or not e-books contain personally identifiable information is a separate question"
This is what I'm asking for: someone can say if personal information are stored in a purchased epub or not?
Can someone what and where this information are?
Old 02-28-2019, 10:02 AM   #51
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Why does it matter? The DRM removal tools are very specifically for removing DRM from books that you've bought yourself, for your own personal use. It would seem entirely irrelevant whether or not they contain information that identifies you.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 10:06 AM   #52
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
This is what I'm asking for: someone can say if personal information are stored in a purchased epub or not?
Depends. Yes. Maybe. Sometimes.
Quote:
No.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 10:36 AM   #53
gweeks
Fanatic
gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket, Nook ST, Kobo WiFi, Kindle PW
Quote:
Thank you for your answer.
You say:
"Whether or not e-books contain personally identifiable information is a separate question"
The only DRM scheme I was personally involved with did include personally identifiable information in the book other than the DRM key used, No I'm not going to tell you what or where as that is still covered by the NDA.

Is this what you wanted to hear?

Greg
gweeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 10:46 AM   #54
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
As Harry said: those who don't intend to violate copyright have little to fear by personal info being in your purchased books (cue the "what if my ereader gets stolen and all my liberated books get uploaded?" scenarios). Just assume they can be tied to you and act accordingly.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 11:43 AM   #55
maximus83
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Just assume they can be tied to you and act accordingly.
This. Exactly.

Assume that EVERYTHING you use of the large software companies including Amazon, if it has web access, is aware of you and that your activity can be tied to you if they really want to. That includes your operating system, web pages you visit, emails and texts you send, all apps you use on phone/pc/mac, and artifacts you download like ebooks. Every. Thing. There are a few ways to be COMPLETELY anonymous and stay online--but it's much much harder than one would think. And for most of us, it's impossible, it's too much hassle even if you try to do all the things you'd need to do. I tried a 6-month experiment being completely 'anonymous', and it was sheer hell all the additional hoops I had to jump through. The linked article gives a pretty good overview.

The actions to take are not complicated though. It's the stuff you learned from your parents when you were 5 years old: (1) Don't steal other people's stuff, including ebooks, and (2) Keep your front door locked when you leave the house (and keep your ebooks secure). Then you have nothing to worry about, and 99.9999% of us are not going to have a problem.

And if you REALLY want to be 100% sure--don't DeDRM your books at all. Lock yourself in with one of the big ebook providers like Amazon or Google or Kobo, and use only DRM'd books from their store.
Old 03-01-2019, 02:24 AM   #56
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
There are instances of "Social DRM" where Credit Card info is visibly embedded in a purchased book. Or at least were in the past.

As far as I am aware, no big sellers of DRMed epubs are embedding secret identifying info into books. Yet.
We will never be able to tell for sure. Unless you compare files purchased by different people from the same publisher. After removing DRM, of course. Because DRM protected files have to be different for different customers.

What if they started yesterday? It doesn't have to be something obvious or visible. It might be stenographically hidden in a cover image, it might be a difference of a few spaces or newlines or use of lowercase/uppercase letters inside the xhtml tags in epub markup. You could even encode info inside a book plain-text by using a few extra spaces before newlines, or a combination of different versions of typographical quotes or use of ligatures, so it might even survive a format conversion to a plain text.
They do not even need to start to embed the info. Just change a few pixels in a cover or a few characters in an html tag to make would-be pirates paranoid. That is what I would consider doing if I was a publisher <maniacal laugh> ;-)

Mind you, I consider the above scenario unlikely.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 10:38 AM   #57
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
There are instances of "Social DRM" where Credit Card info is visibly embedded in a purchased book. Or at least were in the past.

As far as I am aware, no big sellers of DRMed epubs are embedding secret identifying info into books. Yet.
We will never be able to tell for sure. Unless you compare files purchased by different people from the same publisher. After removing DRM, of course. Because DRM protected files have to be different for different customers.

What if they started yesterday? It doesn't have to be something obvious or visible. It might be stenographically hidden in a cover image, it might be a difference of a few spaces or newlines or use of lowercase/uppercase letters inside the xhtml tags in epub markup. You could even encode info inside a book plain-text by using a few extra spaces before newlines, or a combination of different versions of typographical quotes or use of ligatures, so it might even survive a format conversion to a plain text.
They do not even need to start to embed the info. Just change a few pixels in a cover or a few characters in an html tag to make would-be pirates paranoid. That is what I would consider doing if I was a publisher <maniacal laugh> ;-)

Mind you, I consider the above scenario unlikely.
The Social DRM I've encountered in the last couple of years (buying printable PDFs with a family/single classroom licence) uses a 'licenced by name and email address' watermark which seemed reasonable.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 10:56 AM   #58
carpler

Thank you all for answers. This info is what I'm looking for.
Old 09-09-2020, 02:27 PM   #59
dbgt
dbgt began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
And what about printing/saving to PDF??? I guess that may be one way to be sure there is no personal info left on the file.
dbgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 02:46 PM   #60
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbgt View Post
And what about printing/saving to PDF??? I guess that may be one way to be sure there is no personal info left on the file.
There have been schemes which used extra spaces or other characters to encode the user information. At least one that used steganography to encode the user information into the images (cover, author pix, section break, etc.)
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote