Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Where do you prefer your ebook to start?
Cover 74 69.81%
Title page 5 4.72%
Table of contents 0 0%
Foreword or preface 2 1.89%
Epigraph 1 0.94%
Main reading content (e.g., the introduction, if one exists, or first chapter, if no introduction) 10 9.43%
I don't care 14 13.21%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-18-2019, 07:20 PM   #31
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Kobos show the cover as the sleep screen. I do like that and miss it when I use my Nook.
Unless you are using FNAC or Walmart USA as your affiliate. A good reason for editing the affiliate file.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 07:34 PM   #32
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Exactly! I have to have something to occupy my time while the better half is watching RuPaul's Drag Race. I don't want to go to a different room and can't exactly play a loud computer game or read. But messing around with my Calibre library or checking book formatting in Sigil is a nice enough diversion for me.
Looks like we are in very similar situations except my wife is watches Filipino soap operas.
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 11:08 PM   #33
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
I prefer for the book to open at the very first page - the cover. Then I can more conveniently choose what I want to skip over, not somebody else.

I pretty much always start reading at the prologue after having skipped everything previous, but occasionally there is stuff before that I am interested in. A graphic of a map, for example. Or an epilogue that sets the stage for the novel. Bottom line - I want to decide what is important for me, not somebody else. And this may vary from novel to novel. When some pretentious fool, the editor or whatever, decides to jump ahead with the eBook start point, I just scroll back and wipe out their decision ... and set my own start point. It's not that annoying to be required to do this, but I'd rather not have to.
This is exactly it for me as well. I really hate when a book opens to what they think is where I want to start, I do want to see what the author intended at the beginning of any book.

I used to go back and edit errors I'd find in my books after reading them (would bookmark the pages and highlight what had to be fixed), but as time went on, I found the quality of so many books to be so bad and require too much editing time for something I wouldn't reread. It was taking up way too much time, time that I could better spend reading another book, so I've since stopped doing that.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote