Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-12-2010, 11:46 PM   #1
ejm
Enthusiast
ejm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ejm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ejm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ejm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ejm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook & PRS-600
Protected Page error: EPUB & PDF incompatibility

... So very frustrating!

I bought a PRS-600 as a birthday gift for my wife. SONY advertised a key feature of the reader (compared to, say, the Kindle) is that you can read library books of various formats. That was the main attraction in our case.

Now, the fact that SONY readers' firmware (all models?) has a defect that precludes one from being able to read both DRM-protected EPUB and PDF files at the same time (note: roughly 1/2 and 1/2 of our library's books are mixed between these 2 formats) is incredibly frustrating.

But the fact that SONY's advice to disappointed customers (trying to figure out why they get a "Protected Page" error when trying to open a library book) is to ignore the problem ... now, that's even more maddening.

Of course, first you have to google around to figure out WHY you're getting these darn error messages. SONY doesn't actually TELL you that its firmware is defective. You have to spend several hours of additional frustration figuring that out too.

Finally, you'll come across this little gem of a link:

http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/d...nalId=C1008686

Along the path to knowledge, you may come across several well-intended folks suggesting it's a DRM issue or an Adobe Digital Edition problem. Rest assured, it's not. Other brand readers do NOT have this problem (now we also have a nook in our household and I've read other brands don't suffer from this - ignoring Kindle which can't read library books anyhow).

Simply put, SONY knows about the problem and as recently as yesterday, sent me the customer support link above - i.e., same link as has been around for a while now.

In effect, SONY's advice is: if hurts to exhale, then we suggest you don't exhale.

Unless you have no interest (now or in the future) in using your SONY e-reader to read library e-books, then I strongly suggest you NOT buy a SONY reader product. You WILL be frustrated and, yes, SONY will do nothing about it except tell you to refrain from using it the way it was advertised to be used.

ejm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:27 AM   #2
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
So you have resurrected how many years-old threads just to complain about Sony?
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2010, 01:04 AM   #3
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
Last Modified Date: 06-28-2010ID: C1008686
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 01:32 AM   #4
ejm
Enthusiast
ejm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ejm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ejm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ejm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ejm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
Apparently a considerable number. I'm sorry if that offended you in any way.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:52 AM   #5
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I don't like spam. You could have put it all in one post, not stuck something on every remotely related thread in the forums. Normally I would have had some sympathy for your format problems, but not after that little stunt.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2010, 07:57 AM   #6
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejm View Post
Apparently a considerable number. I'm sorry if that offended you in any way.
It doesn't offend, but it does annoy.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:36 PM   #7
ejm
Enthusiast

I didn't mean to offend or annoy but felt my replies were valid followups to other posts I saw on the same topic.

I'll assume you're pleased with the performance of your SONY reader, in which case I'm genuinely glad for you and don't mean to detract from that.