Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-21-2009, 06:58 PM   #1
icwright
icwright began at the beginning.

Device: prs505
adding books cover comments

I am running windows xp and windows calibre 0.6.29.

I would like to be able to save my library, and then reimport the books into a new library without any loss of data. I was hoping to be able to create a new calibre library. I thought I did this with calibre in the windows 0.5.XX versions, but I may have been wrong.

I have saved books (save to disk), resulting in folders(author's name) containing folder(book name) containing(bookname.jpg, bookname.lit, bookname.lrf, bookname.opf).

When I add this saved book (add book from directories, including sub-directories(One book per directory, assumes every ebook is the same book in a different format)) I get all metadata except for cover image and comments.

I have Saving books set to (save cover separately,update metadata in saved copies, save metadata in OPF file and convert non-english characters to english equivalents). These were defaults. In adding books I have tried both selecting or not (read metadata from file name).

Any help as to whether this is possible would be appreciated.
icwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 07:31 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
In your saved files, open one of the opf files in a text editor like notepad and see if the comments and link to cover are present
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2009, 07:50 AM   #3
icwright

I cannot see any reference to cover or comments. Below is a sample opf.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<package xmlns="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf" version="2.0" unique-identifier="calibre_id">
<metadata xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/" xmlnspf="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf" xmlns:calibre="http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/2009/metadata">
<dc:title>The Brazen Gambit</dc:title>
<dc:creator opf:role="aut" opf:file-as="Abbey, Lynn">Lynn Abbey</dc:creator>
<dc:contributor opf:role="bkp" opf:file-as="calibre">calibre (0.5.14) [http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net]</dc:contributor>
<dc:identifier opf:scheme="calibre" id="calibre_id">7067</dc:identifier>
<dc:date>2009-02-16T00:00:00</dc:date>
<dc:language>UND</dc:language>
<meta name="calibre:series" content="Chronicles of Athas"/>
<meta name="calibre:series_index" content="1"/>
<dc:subject>Dark Sun</dc:subject>
</metadata>
</package>

thanking you for your help.
Should I be able to do what I am trying?
Old 12-22-2009, 08:35 AM   #4
icwright

I played with some earlier versions of calibre in virtualPC to look at .opf files and the contents.

Save book with windows calibre 0.5.14, reference to description and cover in opf file. Add book with windows calibre 0.6.29 and cover and description successfully imported.

Save book with windows calibre 0.6.20, reference to description and cover in opf file. Add book with windows calibre 0.6.29 and only description successfully imported. The cover reference is present in the opf file but the name is missing the "_number"(I assume this is the database reference number).

Maybe this will help to identify my problem.

thanking you again.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:13 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Sounds like a bug, please open a ticket and I'll take a look at it when I have a moment.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2009, 06:48 PM   #6
icwright

I have opened a ticket.

thanking you again