Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 09-08-2008, 10:07 AM   #1
Mindy
Away with the Faeries
Mindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Sony PRS 650
HELP! Battery Life & Firmware

Another query that's been debated here before!
I've begun to notice that I'm not getting anywhere near the anticipated battery life - I monitored it more closely the last couple of charges and contacted Bookeen. They have responded that it's a known bug in my firmware version (I'm on build 681) and that I should update to the latest from the site.
However, I'm sure I remember reading that the latest build had problems all of its own and that there was possibly another (earlier?) build that was much better? I would ideally like to get it sorted tonight before I have my surgery tomorrow, but I'm a bit frantic at work just now getting things tied up to give proper attention to the previous threads (sorry!) - can I please get the latest opinions on what the 'best' firmware is and, if it's an earlier one, could someone please send?
Many thanks, hugs and cookies.
Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 10:14 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'd install the new firmware if I were you. It seems to fix a fair few problems (eg the issue of missing button presses seems to have been totally fixed) and I've not heard anyone comment on poor battery life with it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2008, 11:08 AM   #3
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'd install the new firmware if I were you. It seems to fix a fair few problems (eg the issue of missing button presses seems to have been totally fixed) and I've not heard anyone comment on poor battery life with it.
There has been no time to test it but Bookeen claimed in the release not that they had enhanced the battery life...

One person claimed in another thread that he got missing button presses with the latest firmware.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 12:00 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
One person claimed in another thread that he got missing button presses with the latest firmware.
I noticed that, but it's definitely a heck of a lot better - for me, at least. I've been deliberately keeping an eye on it, and for me it's skipped no key presses at all, whereas before it would miss perhaps 1 in 5 or so.

I have had one hang-up on boot, so perhaps that's one thing they haven't yet fixed. That's just a minor irritation, though, rather than a serious bug (unless you find yourself stuck without anything to press the "Reset" button with!).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 12:52 PM   #5
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Have to say that the new build is quiet an improvement over 681 and 708.

PDF support is excellent, and haven't noticed any drop in battery life. If fact battery life does appear a little better , but as I haven't run any proper tests, can't give any firm numbers.

Would Definitely recommend upgrading to the newest build.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2008, 01:49 PM   #6
Duodora
Enthusiast
Duodora began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook!
Someone correct me if I'm wrong--but I think the older firmware that was supposed to have much better battery life was 538.

I haven't had a chance to test my cybook for battery life on the new firmware, sorry

And good luck with your surgery!
Duodora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 02:23 PM   #7
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duodora View Post
Someone correct me if I'm wrong--but I think the older firmware that was supposed to have much better battery life was 538.
Yup, 538 had the best battery life, but it only works on the older 64MB version of the Gen3. It also had other problems, which I believe were fixed in the newer versions of the firmware.

It doesn't work on the current 512MB models, so it is not an option for many of the users with the new models.

The battery life in 681 and 708 was a ok, about 48hrs of continuous usage. Will have to see what it actually is on the new one, but I can't bear to put it aside for a full test .
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 05:06 PM   #8
Mindy
Away with the Faeries
Mindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipse

Duly updated, will let you know how it goes!

Old 09-08-2008, 05:42 PM   #9
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
I also noticed it not switching the page when I press the button, once or twice a book. But it's much better than it was.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 06:13 AM   #10
Mindy
Away with the Faeries

Interim Conclusion

Well, since I re-flashed (my, that sounds dirty) I finished reading Persuasion (ch3 onwards), read the first 3 No 1. Ladies Detective Agency books and A Hat Full of Sky. Recharged yesterday which is perfect timing for starting D'Artagnan Romances which will give me a proper 'feel'.
Seems to be a big improvement already though!