Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-29-2011, 08:16 AM   #1
MikeCL
Zealot
MikeCL began at the beginning.

Device: KKB-3G
Question I turn on my KK3 and battery low..

I don't understand.. I have wireless turned on and I have great signal.. when I last used it the battery was middle way and I only used the kindle for maybe 20 min that night.. skipped a day of reading and I pulled it out and I'm greeted with a message telling me to charge the kindle..

However I've charged it and waited till the green light was on and took it off charge and I notice the battery will go down pretty fast..

I don't see how it can be indexing how long should that take? I did get a book about 3 days ago but I don't know.
MikeCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:59 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Search for a non-existent string from the home page - eg "ddddddddd". If it comes back and says "X items unindexed", then the indexing process has got stuck. If it does say that, select that link and select it, and it'll show you which item is causing the problem. Delete it, and re-add it.

Also, WiFi will drain the battery even with the Kindle "switched off". Turn the wireless off except when you actually want to use it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2011, 09:01 AM   #3
MikeCL
Zealot

I searched gggggg and nothing found
Old 10-29-2011, 09:19 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Then indexing isn't the issue. It's probably because you left WiFi switched on.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:31 AM   #5
MikeCL
Zealot

it uses it while the kindle is turned off?
Advert
Old 10-29-2011, 09:37 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Yes, as I said in my earlier message. I wasn't lying . What you perhaps don't appreciate is that the Kindle isn't "turned off", but is simply in a low-power sleep mode. The WiFi continues to drain power in this mode. You can't turn a Kindle off.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:38 AM   #7
MikeCL
Zealot

Oh I must of missed that.. it's too much to keep turning the wi-fi on at home since I don't really get a good cell signal inside but I have a password on my wireless.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:40 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCL View Post
Oh I must of missed that.. it's too much to keep turning the wi-fi on at home since I don't really get a good cell signal inside but I have a password on my wireless.
It's two button presses to turn the WiFi on and off. You should only have to enter the encryption key for your WiFi network once; the Kindle will automatically reconnect to it subsequently.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:20 PM   #9
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCL View Post
it uses it while the kindle is turned off?
Unless you constantly turn wireless on and off, the battery lasts about two days. This was true on my first K3, and it is true with the new one Amazon gave me under warranty, quite graciously, after I cracked the first one's screen, admitting it was my fault.

I almost never experience a battery life problem because I plug mine in almost every night. If someone here tells me how much that wastes a year in electricity, maybe I'll change. But since I read texts on the browser, every day, I'm sure I could never get the advertised battery length even if I carefully turned wireless off and on when switching between browser and documents.

Misleading advertising? I report, you decide
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 04:12 AM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
If you leave WiFi or 3G on the battery will drain really quickly. If you leave it off you should get at least 3 weeks of use. If I leave WiFi on I get about 7 days or less depending on use. I've never left just 3G on but I can imagine it would drain even faster depending on signal strength.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 12:52 PM   #11
emalvick
Groupie
emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle 3
I had accidentally left wi-fi on recently, and found my battery drained, mostly due to the 3.3 upgrade being pushed to my device (my guess). The version number had upgraded as was my suspicion.
emalvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:08 PM   #12
MikeCL
Zealot

I will try and remember