Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 11-02-2011, 04:23 PM   #61
Keryl Raist
Zealot
Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle for PC
While it is true that there is a lot of bad writing out there, there does seem to be a special level of bad sex scenes. I don't know if they just stick out more to me, or if I don't know enough about combat, dancing, or whatever to see the same level of problems that I often do in sex scenes.

But, I'm thinking it's probably something to do with sex scenes. After all, how many of us can think of wince inducing euphemisms in a fight scene? Brandon kicked Jack squarely in the manhood. Ummm... no. Or how about a fight scene where the tension builds and builds and then the author suddenly decides to get coy about what is actually happening? I don't think so.

There really is a special level of bad writing reserved for sex scenes.

Last edited by Keryl Raist; 11-02-2011 at 04:24 PM. Reason: added extra thought.
Keryl Raist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 04:32 PM   #62
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keryl Raist View Post
After all, how many of us can think of wince inducing euphemisms in a fight scene? Brandon kicked Jack squarely in the manhood. Ummm... no.

My all-time favorite euphemism for "penis" that was used in fanfiction:

Elfhood.

I wish I were kidding.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2011, 04:40 PM   #63
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
But, I'm thinking it's probably something to do with sex scenes. After all, how many of us can think of wince inducing euphemisms in a fight scene? Brandon kicked Jack squarely in the manhood. Ummm... no. Or how about a fight scene where the tension builds and builds and then the author suddenly decides to get coy about what is actually happening? I don't think so.

Maybe it's related to that stigma SLJ talked about? That an author gets so tense and so worried about offending that they unintentionally make it harder than it has to be, and in teh process become a bad writer for just that one scene.

Or maybe editors and publishers have unreasonable demands and make it more difficult than it needs to be?
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:14 AM   #64
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
After all, how many of us can think of wince inducing euphemisms in a fight scene? Brandon kicked Jack squarely in the manhood. Ummm... no. Or how about a fight scene where the tension builds and builds and then the author suddenly decides to get coy about what is actually happening? I don't think so.
And that's the problem, in a nutshell: Only sex scenes induce writers to resort to euphemisms; and they should not. As ScalyFreak points out, the stigma causes overcompensation (sex euphemism ahoy!) and the sensible rules of writing go to pot.

When I wrote my scenes, I made sure I wrote them the way I'd write any other scene: The same style, the same elements used to prompt an emotional investment in the scene, and no euphemisms... because I don't write that way. So the scenes do not seem like the work of someone else shoehorned into my story. If you can't do that... you shouldn't be writing the scene, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
Or maybe editors and publishers have unreasonable demands and make it more difficult than it needs to be?
I think that's a big part of it, too: If the writer isn't concerned about appearances, the editors and publishers are, and they force the issue. That's why I like writing for myself... no one looking over my shoulder that I have to satisfy.

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 11-03-2011 at 10:17 AM.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:09 PM   #65
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
My all-time favorite euphemism for "penis" that was used in fanfiction:

Elfhood.

I can't believe I missed this earlier. Thank you for brightening my day and making my co-workers look at me funny. I'd be upset about the coffee I nearly choked on, but I'm too amused to care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
I think that's a big part of it, too: If the writer isn't concerned about appearances, the editors and publishers are, and they force the issue. That's why I like writing for myself... no one looking over my shoulder that I have to satisfy.
As far as I am concerned, that is one of the biggest benefits that has come from the invention of electronic books and their growing popularity. That authors who want to have complete control over their writing and how it is presented to their readers, now have that. You can publish your book just the way you want it to be, and put your own name on it.

Of course, as with everything else when it becomes so easy that anyone can do it, then the drawback is that anyone does. It's like a herd of pigs... the herd bring a lot of benefits, but you shouldn't wonder at all the crap it produces.
Advert
Old 11-03-2011, 07:39 PM   #66
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
As far as I am concerned, that is one of the biggest benefits that has come from the invention of electronic books and their growing popularity. That authors who want to have complete control over their writing and how it is presented to their readers, now have that. You can publish your book just the way you want it to be, and put your own name on it.
Absolutely.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:54 PM   #67
Keryl Raist
Zealot
Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle for PC
Quote:
Maybe it's related to that stigma SLJ talked about? That an author gets so tense and so worried about offending that they unintentionally make it harder than it has to be, and in teh process become a bad writer for just that one scene.

I don't know about the stigma aspect. I've got some adult only scenes in my book, and didn't fear offending anyone while I was writing them. Like Stephen, I didn't suddenly become a different writer, nor did my characters suddenly receive brain transplants when the sex got going.

To put it succinctly, the only thing that throbs in my book is a broken arm. There are no manhoods, elfhoods, or whatever other god-awful terms get used to avoid calling a penis a penis.

I do know that certain publishers (Harlequin springs to mind) require certain words be used, certain words not be used, and certain numbers of encounters occur, and so on and so forth. That level of constraint would have driven me bonkers.
Keryl Raist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:13 PM   #68
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe

Quote:
I do know that certain publishers (Harlequin springs to mind) require certain words be used, certain words not be used, and certain numbers of encounters occur, and so on and so forth. That level of constraint would have driven me bonkers.
Well, that explains some of the worst sex scenes I've read.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:32 AM   #69
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
That's not so different from writing episodic television, really. Not every writer can work within those limits, but those who can have the advantage of being able to produce on a schedule (and earn a regular paycheck).
Old 11-10-2011, 09:38 PM   #70
Mayzshon
Enthusiast
Mayzshon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mayzshon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mayzshon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mayzshon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mayzshon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mayzshon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mayzshon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mayzshon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mayzshon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mayzshon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mayzshon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
I would point out that romances & erotica are selling *amazingly* well in ebooks. That I can name, off the top of my head, a dozen romance/erotica DRM-free publishers, thriving in a market where the "big 6" publishers are screaming about losses.

Yes, I'm rather embarassed by the fact that an erotic title I released under a pen name, outsells my non-erotic titles by about 15 to 1.

As far as sex in my non-erotic works, sex plays an important role in my work, but I almost never write sex scenes, largely because I don't trust my ability to write them well. But more importantly, I write comedies, and I find writing around sex scenes (finding ways to tell you what happened without actually saying what happened) to be both funnier and more fun to write.
Mayzshon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:07 AM   #71
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayzshon View Post
Yes, I'm rather embarassed by the fact that an erotic title I released under a pen name, outsells my non-erotic titles by about 15 to 1.

As far as sex in my non-erotic works, sex plays an important role in my work, but I almost never write sex scenes, largely because I don't trust my ability to write them well. But more importantly, I write comedies, and I find writing around sex scenes (finding ways to tell you what happened without actually saying what happened) to be both funnier and more fun to write.
You don't trust your ability to write a sex scene well... yet, your erotic title outsells the non-erotic titles by 15-1?

Can we assume there are sex scenes in your erotic title? If so, I'd say its sales success is enough of an indication that you can write sex scenes.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:46 AM   #72
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
Thanks for the rewrite, Steve. Just downloaded from your site. I'm one of those who read Lambs Hide, Tigers Seek and never peeped. While it was enjoyable, there were some scenes that didn't quite click. I thought "these characters don't seem very believable in this scene" or, based on what I knew about a character, "why would they do that? Where did that action (or dialogue) come from?"

Let's see how well the rewrite works ...
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:00 AM   #73
Mayzshon
Enthusiast
Mayzshon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mayzshon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mayzshon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mayzshon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mayzshon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mayzshon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mayzshon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mayzshon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mayzshon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mayzshon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mayzshon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
You don't trust your ability to write a sex scene well... yet, your erotic title outsells the non-erotic titles by 15-1?

Can we assume there are sex scenes in your erotic title? If so, I'd say its sales success is enough of an indication that you can write sex scenes.
Believe it or not, no there aren't any explicit sex scenes in my erotic title. Which, I believe, actually qualifies as irony.
It's written to appeal to a specific fetish, which I could depict without including actual sex.
Plus, it's a comic book, so even if it had, I wouldn't have had to actually write them if I had needed them, just depict them.

Here's a question: Where is the dividing line between erotica and porn? KDP's term's of service forbids porn, but they allow erotica. They allowed the title above to be published, but a similar title that was slightly more explicit was blocked.
I'm just not sure where the limits are.
Mayzshon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:07 AM   #74
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Here's a question: Where is the dividing line between erotica and porn? KDP's term's of service forbids porn, but they allow erotica. They allowed the title above to be published, but a similar title that was slightly more explicit was blocked.
I'm just not sure where the limits are.

We could answer that in general, but that really does not matter for the specific case of KDP because it is where THEY put the line. In my experience ever store defines that line differently.

IMO in Erotica the point is the story and the sex/etc is a way of telling it. In porn the point is the sex, and the story is there as a lame excuse but I do not read either so that might not be a valid line.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:51 AM   #75
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe

Quote:
Believe it or not, no there aren't any explicit sex scenes in my erotic title. Which, I believe, actually qualifies as irony.
Not at all. There is a lot more to eroticism than just rubbing body parts together.

Tags
acceptable, porn, sex