Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-01-2011, 01:47 PM   #16
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfo View Post
Really? The Kindle doesn't completely turn off? Not that I'm trying to counter everyone's comments, but I'm confused as the Kindle User's Guide, 3rd Ed. says you can "turn off" (and "turn on") the Kindle versus "sleep."
No, it doesn't turn off completely. If it did... it would have to boot up when you turned it back on, right? You know... that long annoying boot sequence with the picture of the tree, when you tell the Kindle to restart?

It is mostly off, though.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 02:01 PM   #17
cfo
Connoisseur
cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KSO, iPhone4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
No, it doesn't turn off completely. If it did... it would have to boot up when you turned it back on, right? You know... that long annoying boot sequence with the picture of the tree, when you tell the Kindle to restart?

Ahh, I see. Good to know. I haven't had to restart the Kindle yet, so I didn't know there was even a long boot sequence with a tree. The User's Guide is simplified for the average, non-geeky-tech user then, I guess.
cfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2011, 04:59 PM   #18
Bricorn
Addict
Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post

THANK you! I've said that several times but keep getting the party line "7 seconds turns it off". Waking from off would take almost as long as a restart, waking from a white screen only takes as long as waking from sleep, so it's just "sleep with a white screen", not a real off.
Bricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:00 PM   #19
cfo
Connoisseur
cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bricorn View Post
THANK you! I've said that several times but keep getting the party line "7 seconds turns it off".
It's probably because the Kindle User's Guide (and well, most of Google) says exactly that. It doesn't say "sleep" or "hibernate," but "off."

I guess the more appropriate thing to say under the User's Guide Power Switch section would be, "To turn your Kindle SCREEN off, slide and hold the power switch for seven seconds until the screen goes blank and then release." But, then you'd have people clamoring for or wondering about a "true off" switch.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:31 PM   #20
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by leosrme View Post
I have never had a device that you couldn't actually switch OFF.
You mean you haven't owned anything with a remote control (TV, VCR, DVD, ...) that had an "on/off" button? All of these devices don't actually turn off. If they did, they couldn't receive the "on" signal from the remote. Just like most ereaders, these devices really only go into a low power sleep mode when "off".
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2011, 07:23 PM   #21
cfo
Connoisseur

No doubt. When most people turn their TVs (or whatever) off, I bet they don't see that tiny standby light that is still on. Electricity vampires.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:34 PM   #22
MichelRenaud
Connoisseur
MichelRenaud began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfo View Post
No doubt. When most people turn their TVs (or whatever) off, I bet they don't see that tiny standby light that is still on. Electricity vampires.
Depends on the TV. My old 32" CRT used 1W while "off", and my new 42" LED is something like 0.25W. I only completely switched off the power when I went away for a couple of days or more.

Of course, in the grand scheme of things, if you have one million TVs drawing 1W.... Goes for just about everything too.
MichelRenaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:51 PM   #23
cfo
Connoisseur

I meant vampires not as in the amount of electricity used, but more in the sense that they're sucking/drawing electricity even when not in use, "vampire draw" a.k.a. "standby power." My 52" LED has a little standby light on so it's most definitely consuming electricity. But, I bet it's still drawing less than my older and smaller 42" plasma TV.

If I won't be home for an extended period of time, I actually unplug them as even with the power switch off, they're not really completely off, as already mentioned by dwig.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:04 PM   #24
sarang
sarang began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeridr View Post
No.
It is not possible for a eInk screen to "burn". It's all about plastic balls being present or not (very simply told).
Although I guess that a "pixel" can "stick" if the electric circuit to that particular "pixel" stop working for any or no reason.
Thanks. Anyway 'stuck' pixel is a hardware defect and is not an invited problem.

Even current day led tv user guides advise users not to display the same photo or image for an extended time to avoid burn out.
sarang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 01:29 AM   #25
leosrme
leosrme began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
Turning it off is not exactly a hidden feature. The instructions are in the user manual.
Thank you to everyone for your replies. I understand now. I will try the 7 seconds thing but from what everyone says, you just leave the thing on and that's it. Fine by me.

As to the above quote, I can't see anywhere in the paper instructions that says how to power off only to make it sleep. Otherwise, I guess I wouldn't have asked, but thanks for your input anyway
Leosrme
leosrme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 02:40 AM   #26
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool

Quote:
Thank you to everyone for your replies. I understand now. I will try the 7 seconds thing but from what everyone says, you just leave the thing on and that's it. Fine by me.

As to the above quote, I can't see anywhere in the paper instructions that says how to power off only to make it sleep. Otherwise, I guess I wouldn't have asked, but thanks for your input anyway
Leosrme
i always put mine in screensaver mode when i'm not actively reading so inadvertent key presses can't do anything.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 02:45 AM   #27
cfo
Connoisseur

Quote:
Leosrme
Oh, no wonder. You're looking in the brown paper quick start guide. When we're talking about the User Manual, we mean the pre-loaded file on your Kindle called, "Kindle User's Guide, 3rd Ed."

The part about the Power Switch where it talks about "turning off" is in Chapter 1.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:27 AM   #28
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
the surest way to make a feature hidden is to list in a users manual..
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:05 AM   #29
Shimarenda
Addict
Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarang View Post
Thanks. Anyway 'stuck' pixel is a hardware defect and is not an invited problem.

Even current day led tv user guides advise users not to display the same photo or image for an extended time to avoid burn out.
LEDs need continuous power to display. The capsules in an e-ink display do not. Once the charge has caused the plastic balls inside to rise or sink, no more power is needed until it needs to change.
Shimarenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:41 AM   #30
cmargm
Enthusiast
cmargm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Just a quick question - since most of you leave your Kindle in 'sleep' mode and don't really turn it totally off, what do you do when you are flying? I have been told to "Turn off my Kindle" during take-offs and landings.
cmargm is offline   Reply With Quote