Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 04-15-2011, 01:06 AM   #1
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Free book (DRM-free, multiple formats) - Escaped [Paranormal Ménage Erotica]

Escaped, 1st in the Running in Fear paranormal ménage erotica series by Trinity Blacio, is All Romance eBooks' Earth Day countdown selection for April 15th, free courtesy of Ravenous Romance.

This is the 2nd freebie offered thus far to have the specific Vampires/Werewolves category, and additionally says multiple partners, in what the synopsis seems to present as a ménage à quatre (f/m/m/m).

Linkage to the product page where it'll be free until the end of the 16th, and you can still pick up the previous day's decidedly tamer vintage reprint selection by old school romance author Barbara Cartland: The Cross of Love

Out of curiosity, a question for the habitual PNR readers, if you don't mind: does anyone ever do vintage-style paranormal romance with vampire vicars and werewolf earls and demonic daughters, oh my! in marriage/mating alliance plots?

Because it just seems like there's a ripe and willing unfilled crossover sub-niche just begging to be exploited outside of the inevitable Jane Austen derivatives.

Description
Jaycee Manz has been on the run since her sixteenth birthday. After growing up fast and depending on no one, how is she supposed to handle three male werewolves who claim to be her mates? Can she learn to trust them or will she continue to run?

Dane Glassgo, alpha of his clan and a special ops commander, specializes in tracking. He's waited for the past two years to claim his mate. Nothing or no one will stop him from claiming Jaycee, not even her fear...

Pierre LeBlathe, brother to Remi and bonded mate to Dane Glassgo, knows his time is limited with Jaycee. But he is bound and determined to stop anyone from hurting her...

Mark Glassgo shares alpha duties with his elder brother, but when Dane finds his mate, Jaycee, he is shocked to learn she is also his mate. What he didn't count on was that he was also mate to Remi LeBlathe...

Alpha Remi LeBlathe, one of the most powerful weres in the country, has always protected what is his. When Jaycee comes into his life, mayhem erupts around them, but Remi is used to mayhem and uses it to his benefit. In seeking those who would harm his mate, Remi must learn how to listen to Jaycee's needs and desires...

Together, all four try to find peace, and the most powerful alphas in the U.S., Remi, Dane and Mark , declare war on anyone who stands in their way of claiming their runaway mate. But can the independent Jaycee be claimed?

In this sizzling werewolf menage story, love, lust and power take center stage in the struggle for ultimate survival.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:13 AM   #2
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
i laughed at the summary...o_o
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2011, 01:36 AM   #3
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's like a love dodecahedron!
Old 04-15-2011, 02:10 AM   #4
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
it's too ridiculous x.x
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 12:17 PM   #5
Andreiuta
Zealot
Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Out of curiosity, a question for the habitual PNR readers, if you don't mind: does anyone ever do vintage-style paranormal romance with vampire vicars and werewolf earls and demonic daughters, oh my! in marriage/mating alliance plots?

[...] Because it just seems like there's a ripe and willing unfilled crossover sub-niche just begging to be exploited outside of the inevitable Jane Austen derivatives.
I wouldn't even call this paranormal. If I see one more vampire novel I'm going to start crying. I think it's a good subject, but it's been so horribly abused, that it lost credibility. IMHO authors should take a break from it for a few years, till people start wanting it again.

BTW: Jane Austen + Vampires = "Mr. Darcy, Vampyre" (I do love "Pride and Prejudice" - why does anyone mess with perfection?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
it's too ridiculous x.x
I was laughing so hard it brought tears to my eyes.
Andreiuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2011, 03:43 PM   #6
ATDrake
Wizzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreiuta View Post
IMHO authors should take a break from it for a few years, till people start wanting it again.
I don't know; people seem to want them now. Or at least the publishers think they do. But eventually the fad will die down a bit more and some new thing will cause a teeth-grinding subgenre glut.

Quote:
BTW: Jane Austen + Vampires = "Mr. Darcy, Vampyre" (I do love "Pride and Prejudice" - why does anyone mess with perfection?)
Because they can, and there's no stopping them, especially if they can make a quick buck doing so.

I actually kind of like the idea of the ones where Jane Austen herself is the vampire/werewolf/demonic daughter. But then I freely admit I pick my derivative spin-offs based on how cracktastic the synopsis reads (rather than any imagined literary quality because yeah, the entertainment value isn't going to be coming from that direction).

Quote:
I was laughing so hard it brought tears to my eyes.
Poor Pierre. He's like the only one of them who doesn't get to be her mate. But at least he can comfort himself with Mark, when Mark's not busy fighting with Dane and Remi over who gets to be with Jaycee*.

* The phrase "puppy pile" does come to mind. Though that still leaves Pierre out in the cold. Good thing he's got a built-in fur coat.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:09 PM   #7
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
This books sounds bad enough to be good for a laugh. Some of the reviews definitely raked it over the coals. Can't be any worse than some fanfiction I've read. I have to read it just to figure out the relationships between the guys, cause Jaycee definitely sounds like a doormat from what I've read so far.
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 04:34 PM   #8
Andreiuta
Zealot
Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I don't know; people seem to want them now. Or at least the publishers think they do.
All right then, I'm going to start a vampire trilogy (or should I say vampyres) with a twist. Since these blood-suckers had always been portrayed filthy rich, for a change mine are going to be honest, hard-working, bread-earning members of society.

Book #1: The Farmer Vampire
Book #2: The Fisherman Vampire
Book#3: The Weaver Vampire

It will be groundbreaking!

Quote:
I actually kind of like the idea of the ones where Jane Austen herself is the vampire/werewolf/demonic daughter.
Sounds interesting especially if she's going to haunt/hunt/viciously kill those who desecrate her books.

Quote:
Poor Pierre. He's like the only one of them who doesn't get to be her mate.
Poor indeed - it's difficult to watch both you brother and you bonded-mate roll in the hay with the girl you want.

Quote:
But at least he can comfort himself with Mark, when Mark's not busy fighting with Dane and Remi over who gets to be with Jaycee*.
I think it's Dane, his "bonded-mate," who's going to comfort him, though we might need to read the book to fully understand all the bonds.
Old 04-15-2011, 05:07 PM   #9
ATDrake
Wizzard

Quote:
All right then, I'm going to start a vampire trilogy (or should I say vampyres) with a twist.
Ooh, ooh, make them "vampweres" and cash in on both creature-feature genres. Honest undead citizens on most nights, every full moon they turn into sparkling clichés and spend the rest of the month studiously trying to forget they ever dazzled anyone at all.

This gives them angst, which they viciously repress and channel into productive farm and craftwork by which they support themselves and pay for roof repairs on their modest middle-class homes (rather than huge piles of ancient manor money).

Quote:
Sounds interesting especially if she's going to haunt/hunt/viciously kill those who desecrate her books.
You'll be wanting Michael Thomas' Jane Bites Back for that. The premise is that Jane has been suffering from writer's block for a few hundred years while watching people pile up the dough from bad fanfic versions of her novels and has finally decided to do something about it.

Haven't exactly read it myself (I have the sequel out from the library), but the Kindle sample had some very healthy mockery of the prose and premise of the typical spin-offs and the gushing fans who gather around and praise the "author" while remaining fairly ignorant of the original source.

Quote:
I think it's Dane, his "bonded-mate," who's going to comfort him, though we might need to read the book to fully understand all the bonds.
How can I even hope to understand the bonds when I can't even keep straight who's officially attached to whom? But then, what's a little mate-swapping between matched pairs of brotherly mate-in-laws, eh?

Frankly, I can never read this book because the actual story can never, ever provide me with even a tenth* as much entertainment as the synopsis already has. Kind of like the D and F grade selections on Smart Bitches Trashy Books.

There is no possible way that bad erotica can live up (or maybe down) to a hilariously funny review† of it, which is really the best way to experience these things.

* Possibly a sixteenth plus two-thirds of a sixteenth, since there are 1 mate + 3 other mates who are mated to each other and to the first mate + 1 other mate who only gets to be mated once to one of the second mates, so that makes 1x3 + 3x2 + 1x1 and now I think it's going to end up divided by zero and the fictional universe will implode with a syntax error.

† Warning for language. And sporfling. I will not be held responsible if the Gentle Reader is drinking anything while reading that.
Old 04-15-2011, 05:29 PM   #10
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
I believe I read a few like that quite a while ago, most likely on one of the Harlequin imprints. It was kind of Old Gothic meets New Gothic. This was probably late 80's - early 90's.

I'm not counting the ones where the werewolf/vampire/ghost turns out to be only in the simpering heroine's imagination, or those in what I call the "Scooby Doo Romance" genre, where the wicked stepmother coerces the aging uncle into donning a sheet to drive away the Baron's One True Love. That's a different thing altogether.

CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 06:16 PM   #11
Andreiuta
Zealot

Quote:
I will not be held responsible if the Gentle Reader is drinking anything while reading that.
Thank you so much for the fun. I got such a good laugh out of this thread!
Old 04-15-2011, 07:48 PM   #12
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
[
A few off the top of my head.

Lydia Dare does paranormal historical romance. Werewolf and vampire.
Ronda Thompson Wild Wulfs of London are another werewolf regency series.
One of my favorites vampire one is by Teresa Medeiros her Cabot Brothers
Kathryn Smith's Brotherhood of blood series (vampire)
Linda Lael Miller has a Victorian Vampire series.
Debbie Raleigh's My Lord series is Vampire set in a regency setting.
Lucy Monroe's children of the moon series (werewolf)

If you want more let me know!

You will find werewolf historical romance is more rare then Vampires.

These are romance not erotica. I myself don't read polyamour books. It gets too confusing and just focuses mostly on the erotic part and no real story line.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:09 PM   #13
ATDrake
Wizzard

Thanks both CWatkinsNash and Blossom for answering my question. I was just kind of curious as to whether or not it had been done already* rather than looking for recs, but hopefully it'll help anyone who's interesting in reading more.

* Now watch me ask if there's any screwball romantic comedy involving two sets of twins — one of each the "good" law-abiding and probably law-enforcing twin, the other the "bad" thief/gang member twin who turns probably out to be a secret undercover agent with a heart of gold and a larynx of snark — who get mistaken for each other with hilarious results after at least one member from each set of twins falls in love with one of the twins from the other set, most likely of the "opposite" sex† and temperament.

Bonus points if at some point they both have to do the twin-switch and pretend to be each other to each other.

† Doubleplus bonus points if there are bisexuals among them. Just because the possibilities for entertaining misunderstanding kind of get raised to the power of 2.