Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-28-2011, 08:55 AM   #1
John Carroll
kookoo
John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook, LG4
What's the grossest thing that's happened to you?

I was reading through the ten surprising things thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=127067 and noticed that someone had put their hand on a spider.

That reminded me of an incident that happened when I used to clean hoods in restaurants while living in the San Fran Bay Area. There were some pretty disgusting restaurants, but the incident that stuck out was when I opened the door to get to the room with the water heater.

The restaurant was filled with cockroaches and the room with the water heater had them all over the walls and ceilings. When I opened the door, one very large one fell directly in the palm of my hand.

So my grossest experience was . . . a bug.
John Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:21 AM   #2
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I had a similar "buggy" experience. When I was in college I had a part-time job feeding the lab animals in the biology building. All were housed in one climate & light controlled room. The first thing you learned to do was run the food pellet dispensers to clear the cockroaches out of the dispensing tubes before filling the food containers.

But the worst experience was the time I had to go in at night - when the timers normally had all the lights out. When I turned on the lights, the entire floor was a carpet of cockroaches - and they weren't afraid! I had to use a push broom to make a path to enter the room! Afterwards I took the hottest shower in my life!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2011, 11:35 AM   #3
Ziguezon
Ogg Vorbis
Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
1) While sitting outside enjoying a drink with with friends one evening, I kept feeling a light tickling sensation on my neck. I thought it was my hair blowing in the breeze so paid little attention. A little while later I felt a tickling sensation inside my shirt on my chest. I put my hand over it and felt a lump that was definitely not supposed to be there. When I stood up and lifted my shirt a very large daddy-long-legs fell out. Blech! For those who don't know, a daddy long legs is a gross looking member of the arachnid family.

2) While working at a department store, I noticed a shipping container sitting high atop a stack of boxes. I reached up to pull it down, and the entire contents poured out onto my head, completely soaking me... it was filled with furnace fuel from a leaking pipe. Many showers were required to remove the smell.

3) While working as a maintenance boy at a Kmart store (my first job), a woman lost her keys and she assumed that she had dumped them into the large cafeteria garbage can with the remains of her lunch. I was given a small pair of rubber gloves, and was asked to bring thegarbage can in the back and search for the keys. The garbage can was full and I searched for 15 minutes through cigarette butts and ashes mixed with gravy from the french fries. By the end I was covered up to my elbows in the ash/gravy mixture but I still hadn't found the keys. When I went to inform the woman, someone told me that she had found her keys in her purse and had left the store 10 minutes ago.
As a side note: it was my responsibility to empty that garbage can when it became full. The trash bags they used were too small for the can, so were always folded very tightly over the top of the container. Many times, while I was trying to remove the bag, it would snap off of the container, splashing me in the face with the previously mentioned gravy and cigarette ash mixture.

4) When my son was still eating in a high chair, after his meal one day, I foolishly grabbed him from the chair and quickly lifted him up in the air above my head. Can you guess what happened next?
Ziguezon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:44 AM   #4
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziguezon View Post
4) When my son was still eating in a high chair, after his meal one day, I foolishly grabbed him from the chair and quickly lifted him up in the air above my head. Can you guess what happened next?
Yep, got it. I've had that happen fairly often, I think any parent has. I've had it spat my face while lying on the floor holding both of my kids up (not at the same time), all down my back while carrying them to the bathroom, on the chest while picking them up....

I think the worst is sitting there in the bathroom with them patting their back and having to deal with the smell and the sounds as they throw-up, all the while telling them that everything will be ok. When, to them, everything is clearly not ok.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:07 PM   #5
Ziguezon
Ogg Vorbis
Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvick View Post
I think the worst is sitting there in the bathroom with them patting their back and having to deal with the smell and the sounds as they throw-up, all the while telling them that everything will be ok. When, to them, everything is clearly not ok.
It was not really ok to me either when it happened on my newly installed floating floor a few weeks ago.

I suppose installing a non water resistant floor in a child's bedroom might not have been my brightest idea.
Advert
Old 03-28-2011, 12:21 PM   #6
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
That'shappened to me too. I was on the floor playing with a friends baby daughter, holding up in the air above my head and she spit up in my face. It was kind of gross butnot that big of a deal.

Re: daddy longlegs. They're harmless. I just carefully carefully cradle them in my hands and move them out of the way.(Their legs break easily)
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:33 PM   #7
Ziguezon
Ogg Vorbis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
That'shappened to me too. I was on the floor playing with a friends baby daughter, holding up in the air above my head and she spit up in my face. It was kind of gross butnot that big of a deal.

Re: daddy longlegs. They're harmless. I just carefully carefully cradle them in my hands and move them out of the way.(Their legs break easily)
I agree about baby spit up... I get it on me all the time and find it to be pretty inoffensive, but the event I'm talking about happened with a two year old child who just finished a big meal of solid food.

As for spiders... I have a bit of a phobia thing going on, so it was a traumatic experience for me. Too bad you weren't around at the time. I could have used your help to get that long legged menace off of me.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:45 PM   #8
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Being born. All the fluids, slime, and the thought of coming out of Mom's hoo-hoo. Bleh. That's just terrible.

But, when it comes to gross... I think that all the perks of parenthood (the spew, the poo, and the wee) are all acceptable. Not pleasant, but not anything that I freak out about.

Mine grossest moment comes down to a bug. A big bug. Nasty looking bug.

I was 16, and it was the weekend (cause I was able to sleep in past 6:30am). Dad had come downstairs and was waking my brother up for...something. I think it was an interview he had that morning, but I cannot recall. The noise had put me into a strange state where I was somewhat paralyzed. I could see and hear, but I couldn't move.

After Dad woke Michael up, I laid there. I felt a slight tickle on the small of my back, and it registered as just that: a tickle. A moment later, I felt the same tickle a little higher on my back. This sensation allowed all the synapses to fire and I was now able to move.

I shifted my weight a little bit to get comfy enough to catch a few more zzz's. Shortly after I achieved maximum comfort, that tickle came back. But, instead of a slight tickle, it felt like someone was dragging kitty whiskers up my spine. If I had anything in my bladder, I surely would have peed. A lot.

When I sat up to see just what in the hell was trying to snuggle with me. I was expecting to see a cricket, as they sometimes managed to escape my tarantulas lair. Cricket? No no... Just one of these. Staring at me. In my bed.

I freaked out. Badly. I made Jamie Lee Curtis sound tame by comparison with the shriek that escaped my face. In a shining moment of stupidity, I swatted the thing off my bed and looked on in horror as it sat on the floor, probably glaring back at me wondering which part of me it wanted to eat and lay eggs in.

Not wanting to give it the satisfaction of an easy meal, I smushed the crap out of it with my didgeridoo. Having never seen one of these miserable little creatures before, I asked Dad what they were. He enlightened me and told me that they ate scorpions. I tore my room apart looking for scorpions. Being in the desert, Bark Scorpions are the nasty ones that hang out. It took me 3 days to feel comfortable enough to sleep with the black-lights off.

It may not be gross in the sense of having fecal matter smeared on them in some way, or having a corpse explode close by... But, this event still gives me the shivers.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:01 PM   #9
Ziguezon
Ogg Vorbis

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
B
When I sat up to see just what in the hell was trying to snuggle with me. I was expecting to see a cricket, as they sometimes managed to escape my tarantulas lair. Cricket? No no... Just one of these. Staring at me. In my bed.
That is truly gross! It also reminds me of a similar, but less gross, incident that happened to me while I was sleeping: It was a hot summer night and I was sleeping on a mattress on the floor wearing only a pair of shorts. I was on my back and felt something very tickly going up the front of my leg, so I kicked it in the air. It was a big long-legged centipede, and it fell back down on the mattress between my legs and was still coming straight towards me. You've never seen someone jump out of a bed so quickly. I know they are harmless, but they are all manner of ugly:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...oleoptrata.JPG
Old 03-28-2011, 01:12 PM   #10
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziguezon View Post

Ahem.

DO. NOT. WANT.

It doesn't matter how harmless these things may be. If something as ugly as that comes tearing towards my crotchial region, I'm lighting stuff on fire. I may not have a flame-thrower handy, but I'll find a way to set that damn thing ablaze.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:17 PM   #11
Ziguezon
Ogg Vorbis

Quote:
Ahem.

DO. NOT. WANT.

It doesn't matter how harmless these things may be. If something as ugly as that comes tearing towards my crotchial region, I'm lighting stuff on fire. I may not have a flame-thrower handy, but I'll find a way to set that damn thing ablaze.
Actually I looked up centipede on wikipedia and they may not be as harmless as I thought:

Quote:
Some species of centipede can be hazardous to humans because of their bite. Although a bite to an adult human is usually very painful and may cause severe swelling, chills, fever, and weakness, it is unlikely to be fatal. Bites can be dangerous to small children and those with allergies to bee stings. The bite of larger centipedes can induce anaphylactic shock in such people. Smaller centipedes usually do not puncture human skin
Old 03-28-2011, 01:35 PM   #12
John Carroll
kookoo
John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook, LG4
So . . . bugs and babies are the grossest things ever . . . not necessarily in that order. *grin*
John Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:43 PM   #13
Ziguezon
Ogg Vorbis

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Carroll View Post
So . . . bugs and babies are the grossest things ever . . . not necessarily in that order. *grin*
Hee hee. I guess that makes us pretty fortunate.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:51 PM   #14
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Carroll View Post
YES! LOL

The grossest thing for me (and my husband) was my having a bout of morning sickness, while dealing with a not quite potty trained 2 year old toddler, who had -shall we say - tummy troubles.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 04:20 PM   #15
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
I don't do well with spiders, in fact if it were something that big and ugly and it surprised me, I'd be the first one out the door - screaming like a little girl the entire way.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gross