Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-10-2007, 05:20 PM   #1
Dorian
Dorian began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad
Question HTML alternate views

Hi, everyone. I posted this question on Iliad Content a few hours ago but it doesn't seem like anybody was interested.

I was wondering if anybody has had any experience trying to create and navigate to alternate document views as described in the HTML section of 'How to Create Content for Your Iliad'. This document says to simply drop a <link> tag in the document with the attribute 'rel' set to 'alt' and 'href' set to the target page. I started to feel that perhaps the advice in the document was a bit misguided as I cross referenced the recommended attributes against the HTML 4.01 standard and found that the rel attribute can have a value of 'alternate', but it doesn't mention 'alt'.

Anyway, I made a couple of HTML docs and dropped this tag in at every meaningful point in the file (in <head></head> in <body></body>, etc.) but a long press on the confirm key always does nothing.

Has anybody else tried this or had any luck with it?

Dorian
Dorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 09:44 PM   #2
ebooklvr
iLiad newbie
ebooklvr began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad/Zaurus SL-5500
Hi Dorian.

I just tried the following html link code and it worked for me between two documents.

<a href="document to link to"> text to display on link </a>

For example

Create document #1 called 1rst.html
Code:
<html>
<body>
<p> This is the first document <p>
<a href="2nd.html">goto 2nd document</a>
</body>
</html>
Create document #2 called 2nd.html
Code:
<html>
<body>
<p> This is the second document <p>
<a href="1rst.html">goto 1rst document</a>
</body>
</html>
Hope this helps.
ebooklvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2007, 10:05 PM   #3
Dorian

Question

Thanks, it looks like that type of arrangement works fine for me as well. I am assuming that the navigate between first and second in your example you are using the touch screen to click on the links. My problem is that I wanted to, instead of clicking on the touchscreen, have the Iliad user-agent navigate to the page specified by <link rel="alt" href="otherpage.html"> in response to a long press on the confirm key, as advertised in the Iliad documentation. If you have any luck with this type of scenario, I would love to hear about it.

Thanks!

Dorian
Old 05-11-2007, 04:45 AM   #4
kapoira
Connoisseur
kapoira has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kapoira has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kapoira has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: i62HD + T68
if you search in the forum, to see comics you will get a script to give a directories with images, creates the htmls and the manifest to navigate throught them with the "pagebar"of the iliad, the html only have one image and one next html and one prev html.
kapoira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 02:23 PM   #5
Dorian

Lightbulb

Hmm, that sounds like it might be a hot ticket. Maybe the user agent has trouble detecting the presence of an 'alt' view unless I have specified a 'prev' and 'next' view as well. I will give it a shot and let y'all know.

Thanks,

Dorian
Advert
Old 06-10-2007, 07:06 PM   #6
Dorian

Thumbs up conclusion to my own question

If anybody is interested in this topic in the future, I thought I would report that the Iliad user-agent (as of 2.9 anyway) expects to see the link tags (rel, alt, and prev) inside the <head> tag before any <meta> tags.

Here is an example:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC '-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN''http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd'>
<html xmlns='http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml' xml:lang='en' lang='en'>
<head>
<link rel="next" href="next-view.html"/>
<link rel="prev" href="previous-view.html"/>
<link rel="alt" href="alternate-view.html"/>
<meta http-equiv='Content-Type' content='text/html;charset=iso-8859-1' />
<meta name="keywords" type="newspaper"></head><body></body></html>

Thanks for all of your help, everybody.

Dorian