Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-04-2010, 10:21 AM   #1
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Any reason to switch it off??

Inasmuch as the 950 automatically switches itself promptly to a screensaver which presumably uses as much power as just leaving the book on the display, is there any reason to turn if off myself.

It almost seems to make more sense to just leave the book on the display and allow the 950 to switch itself to the screensaver -- nothing lost and no wear and tear on the ON/OFF switch.

Any thoughts??
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 10:58 AM   #2
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
Inasmuch as the 950 automatically switches itself promptly to a screensaver which presumably uses as much power as just leaving the book on the display, is there any reason to turn if off myself.

It almost seems to make more sense to just leave the book on the display and allow the 950 to switch itself to the screensaver -- nothing lost and no wear and tear on the ON/OFF switch.

Any thoughts??
I usually turn mine off so that the buttons don't get pressed while in the cover, but if that's not a concern I don't see any issue with just letting it time out itself. It does same on wear and tear on the switch as you indicate.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2010, 11:04 AM   #3
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodbar View Post
I usually turn mine off so that the buttons don't get pressed while in the cover, but if that's not a concern
M, Actually, yours is a good point. The buttons getting pushed would probably be undesirable.

I guess another question is, "Does leaving the book up on the display use any more power than having the screensaver on the display?"
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 11:13 AM   #4
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Having the display on would draw more power since the touch display is still active and the keys are still active. How much more is the big question.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:53 AM   #5
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodbar View Post
Having the display on would draw more power since the touch display is still active and the keys are still active. How much more is the big question.
What? Really? Couldn't software engineers turn infrared off when it sleeps? So that it wakes up only on sleep button action? Sounds funny.
Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2010, 12:43 PM   #6
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard

Maybe I misunderstood the question. If the device sleeps itself there would be no difference in power consumption than if you put it to sleep with the switch. My comment was comparing sleep to active state when displaying a book page versus the screensaver. Although the display won't draw additional power, there is power being drawn from active states for the buttons and touch screen.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:43 PM   #7
mrtibbs
E-book Genius
mrtibbs began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 950
Well apparently not ..from what the manual says it uses less power thats why it was implemented. I've had mine (with WIFI switch off) and i've had the 950 for about 6 days and its still full bars.
mrtibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:56 PM   #8
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Switching the wireless on and off is what makes the most impact on battery life in my experience with my 900. My general habit is to leave the ereader on and let it auto-sleep, especially if I plan to do more reading in the near future. If I know it's my last reading session of the day or if I plan to transport it (like in my purse), then I use the switch to sleep it. General wear and tear on the switch is the main reason rather than battery life.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote